PDA

View Full Version : Music City Grand Prix

opinionated ow
08-08-21, 11:17 PM
So, did anybody watch it? I'll catch the replay later on but I'm curious: was it as bad as San Jose?

Pilgrims Drop
08-09-21, 07:04 AM
So, did anybody watch it? I'll catch the replay later on but I'm curious: was it as bad as San Jose?

Track is an abomination - and the race was very much peak Indycar...

Elmo T
08-09-21, 07:38 AM
I watched.

Nashville GP drinking game - take a shot every time they use the word "bridge".

I missed the first 8 laps - but did watch the remaining 6 hours of the race :saywhat:. I can't figure out if it was desperation, poor decision making by drivers, or a generally bad track layout... but it wasn't motorsport's finest hour.

I saw this headline on a TN news site that summed it up well: "Music City Grand Prix wasn't a race but a party, and Nashville does those well"

SteveH
08-09-21, 09:18 AM
I can't figure out if it was desperation, poor decision making by drivers, or a generally bad track layout... but it wasn't motorsport's finest hour.

Desperation due to a poorly designed track. So few places to pass that the drivers were much too aggressive. In places the track is 3 feet narrower than F1 Baku castle curves. Pit out was a mess. One of the worst races I've seen in quite a while. I'm sure Dallara is happy though.

TravelGal
08-09-21, 01:00 PM
Track is an abomination - and the race was very much peak Indycar...

Bingo. Jeez. I record and extra hour and was lucky to see who got the checkered flag. On the plus side, a LOT of fast forward reduced viewing time to about an hour. I absolutely could not stand the layout so I didn't like watching even when it was green flag. What was Cotman thinking???

SteveH
08-09-21, 01:18 PM
I’d like to know what area Cotman was given in which to design the track. I assume there were geographical constraints. Even so, maybe they should have passed on Nashville.

pfc_m_drake
08-09-21, 08:39 PM
I’d like to know what area Cotman was given in which to design the track. I assume there were geographical constraints. Even so, maybe they should have passed on Nashville. $$$

IndyCar is desperate at this point. They'd race in my backyard around my pool if I paid them a $2 million sanction fee.

opinionated ow
08-09-21, 09:01 PM
$$$

IndyCar is desperate at this point. They'd race in my backyard around my pool if I paid them a $2 million sanction fee.

I watched it on replay last night. Crowd was great, really great. The bridge was fine but why, when they have that entire carpark area outside Nissan stadium to play with, did they make that bit so messed up? Track was probably as bad as San Jose although at least the only launch was because someone ran up the back of another. I think they need to do something about the pit out area and they need to move the restart point to where they started the race.

pfc_m_drake
08-09-21, 09:05 PM
I watched it on replay last night. Crowd was great, really great. The bridge was fine but why, when they have that entire carpark area outside Nissan stadium to play with, did they make that bit so messed up? Track was probably as bad as San Jose although at least the only launch was because someone ran up the back of another. I think they need to do something about the pit out area and they need to move the restart point to where they started the race.
I definitely didn't mind the bridges, but the triangular complex in between the bridge runs was WAYY too tight.

TravelGal
08-10-21, 07:11 PM
After reading a few tweets, etc. it dawned on me that they got exactly what they wanted: NASCAR wrecks at Indycar speed. From Nathan Brown: "the most-watched cable race for the series in 23 years." :rolleyes:

nissan gtp
08-13-21, 12:04 PM
I was at the race and had a great time, despite the looooong yellows and reds.

The weather was warm, but Sunday was outstanding (it was somewhat cloudy). The organizers will be spoiled by this, as it could easily have been 5 or even 10 degrees hotter. The crowd was consistently big on Saturday and Sunday.

They did a great job of having on track action (starting at noon, a great call). Stadium super jumpy trucks, SRO GT's, Trans-AM, plus Indycar. I missed the historic Indycar demo laps unfortunately. Most established races don't do that well, and have way too much nothing going on time on track.

We were in the top of grand stand 4, with a view of turn 1, all the way to the top of the bridge, and down to "Herta's demise" corner. Bigscreen right across the track, so we saw everything. It was fun watching the safety car dive into its spot in front of us, and the safety truck rolling was usually the first sign of yet another yellow.

The usual bad driving, and then some. The yellows and reds sucked of course (the one for the water leakage in T1 was just lousy luck on top of a rough day).

And Herta proved you can pass, and that you can crash. :D

TheGuywho
08-13-21, 03:25 PM
It was pretty good to be there in person, they will tweak the track, repave the turns.

Strange events… it was a dominating drive by Colton…

If you don’t like Country Music it’s not the place to hang out for the weekend.

nrc
08-23-21, 11:47 PM
It was pretty good to be there in person, they will tweak the track, repave the turns.

Strange events… it was a dominating drive by Colton…

If you don’t like Country Music it’s not the place to hang out for the weekend.

I'm not sure if you mean in Nashville in general or if they were blaring bad country music at the track. That would be painful.

But Nashville in general is a great place for a wide variety of music. Nashville is home to a lot of great song writers and session players which has caused a lot of artists from other genres to gravitate there.

rabbit
08-24-21, 11:25 AM
I went. Took the wife and in-laws. It was the first race for all of them. The in-laws go to Nashville at least once a year (CMA's and any other excuse they can come up with to go.) They all had an absolute blast and are already talking about making it an annual trip. There's room for improvement, for sure. But being new to it, they didn't see all the pimples like I did. Hopefully they get those sorted out for next year.1099

devilmaster
08-24-21, 11:13 PM
I went.....

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Easy
08-26-21, 07:07 PM
I went.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Couch is a place too... :D

Despite the goat rodeo of a race the crowd shots indicated a lot of happy people, even as dark grew near. I hope they can get the layout sorted and make it a long term event.