PDA

View Full Version : BBQ hunting.

devilmaster
07-29-21, 01:13 PM
I'm sure there's a very good valid reason - but why are natural gas bbqs double and almost triple the price of propane?

Like the crappy 2 burner ones, a propane one costs about 120-150 bucks (remember all Canadian rupees here) but the cheapest newest NG ones start at 500 bucks. I just don't get it. :irked:

Just moved into a newer condo, that has a natural gas hookup on the deck, and the gas is free... So why not pay the extra I guess, I avoid lugging propane and refilling tanks anymore.

Just looking around, the one I am looking at for just a motorsport themed view is the one where i'd want to professionally add McLaren logos in papaya orange. This is propane, at 450 bucks, but I can get a conversion kit for another 50. If i'm buying new, this is what I'm leaning to.

SteveH
07-29-21, 08:25 PM
Makes no sense. I replaced our deck mount grill maybe 12 years with an identical pedestal mount unit. It came with orifices for both propane and natural gas which is what I needed. The orifices probably cost a couple of bucks. It’s great never having to replace propane tanks.

devilmaster
07-29-21, 10:32 PM
ok, i suck at editing, but this is what I want to do....

nrc
07-29-21, 10:52 PM
My guess is that the lower end grill companies just don't see a market for NG so you're limited to the pricier models. To me, it's worth it just to never hassle with tanks. There was a 15 year old MHP WNK model built in here when we bought the place. I replaced it with a new MHP WNK model and still love it. It's ready for some refurb so I'm considering just replacing the whole head with one of the nice stainless TJK models.

gjc2
07-31-21, 06:59 PM
The grill manufactures may offer kits to convert to natural gas. Many years ago my parents had a gas line to the patio installed and I did the conversion; just a little plumbing and I had to drill out the jets (on natural gas it has to run richer). This happened probably 30 years ago, but I remember it being an easy processes.

devilmaster
10-22-21, 08:17 PM
well, waiting may have been my winfall.

I bought the grill turismo (the one in photos above..) and its in the mclaren orange i wanted, used, for 100 bucks (new was 450 before taxes). cleaned it up, and bought the gas conversion kit for 50 bucks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVLeNiIPL8

seems simple enough. If I blow up the condo, you've all been great, except mappy. F that guy. ;) :D :rofl:

TRDfan
10-22-21, 10:14 PM
Patience (or procrastination) has it's rewards. One you get it set up, with customization, be sure to share pics.

devilmaster
10-23-21, 11:30 PM

well, i'm alive!

TravelGal
10-28-21, 12:47 PM
:eek::eek::thumbup::thumbup:

nrc
10-28-21, 07:53 PM
Looks good. Does it cook?

devilmaster
10-29-21, 10:52 PM
Looks good. Does it cook?

What little i've done cooking on it, yes... I do like it.... i hope to get more done with it when I get back home from work next week.