PDA

View Full Version : Forum tweak

nrc
07-20-21, 10:20 PM
TravelGal mentioned that she couldn't find a thread that had been posted just a little over a couple of weeks ago and that gave me an idea. The forums often look pretty quiet because... well, they are. But there are still topics that an occasional visitor might chime in on if they could easily see them.

So I changed the default view for the forum pages to show threads active in the last month instead of just the last two weeks.

TravelGal
07-21-21, 08:12 PM
TravelGal mentioned that she couldn't find a thread that had been posted just a little over a couple of weeks ago and that gave me an idea. The forums often look pretty quiet because... well, they are. But there are still topics that an occasional visitor might chime in on if they could easily see them.

So I changed the default view for the forum pages to show threads active in the last month instead of just the last two weeks.

:thumbup: But I think it was more a function of the search capabilities than the time frame. I always adjust to as close to forever as I can get when I'm searching for something. The "something" was a comment buried in another thread so it's just as well to have a separate thread on SRX, I suppose. It looks like it's going to continue in some form next year.

devilmaster
07-21-21, 11:03 PM
It might be just the search feature. I remember a long time ago I was looking for a thread where I knew I had posted a certain word. I tried searching for the thread based on that word, but it never worked. I finally found the thread another way, and the only reason why it couldn't find the word, was because it had a period at the end of it.

So for example, if you are looking for a thread where you posted the word casserole (as an example), search will not find the word if in the original post if you search for 'casserole' and you had it as 'casserole.'

pfc_m_drake
07-24-21, 06:28 PM
If I'm honest, I've never had much luck with the search function in any of the forums that I use (e.g. not just OC). I always wrote it off to one of those errors that was between the chair and the keyboard.

But I do like setting the default view to be the last month instead of the last two weeks. :thumbup:

nrc
07-24-21, 11:50 PM
Yeah, these old search functions aren't great. They rely on creating an index of words that it creates so they have to leave out a bunch of stuff to keep the size manageable. There's no intelligence to find things that aren't quite an exact match. Hopefully whatever comes next will be better.