PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Race to set Race Grid (May contain spoilers?!?)

Pilgrims Drop
07-17-21, 01:38 PM
So the first ever "Sprint Race" to set the grid for tomorrows race was just held... I :flaming: hate it!!

The grid will now be, mainly, according to race pace meaning there'll most likely be less overtaking in the race itself.

And the set up of the weekend sessions, what idiot thought this was a good idea??

Free Practice 1
Qualifying for Spring Race (Parc Fermé)
Free Practice 2 (No changes can be made due to Parc Fermé)
Sprint Race (Choose tyres, still Parc Fermé)
Race

Why on earth do you run FP2 after Parc Fermé has started?? Sure the teams get to test out tyres for the race, meaning they'll be even more prepared for the race = less possibilities for excitement (overtaking etc.)

WickerBill
07-17-21, 05:36 PM
Agree on all counts.

I watched and came here to say "So the fastest car now gets to start 1st instead of 2nd, a few cars have damage and can't be repaired without a grid penalty, and everyone gets a free tire choice. Totally worth it."

SteveH
07-17-21, 09:11 PM
I actually liked it. It’s great for spectators, now there are three competitive days rather than two. Friday has been sort of a throw away. Now it has qualifying for the sprint on Sat. Saturday has the sprint and Sunday remains the same. To me it’s just a modification of the qualifying process which F1 has done several times before.

TravelGal
07-19-21, 05:43 PM
I thought it was idiotic. It definitely puts more butts in the seats but at what cost to the actual race? Let's ask Perez.

opinionated ow
07-19-21, 11:26 PM
I thought it was idiotic. It definitely puts more butts in the seats but at what cost to the actual race? Let's ask Perez.

All it did was ensure that more cars started in race pace order for the GP on Sunday. Apart from Lewis' massive car advantage chasing down Leclerc nothing really happened after Copse.

The sprint did however show how good Fernando Alonso still is. I said to my brother, if he hadn't had the first spell at Renault, you'd say he was as bad at choosing teams as Mark Webber was

WickerBill
07-20-21, 07:44 AM
if he hadn't had the first spell at Renault, you'd say he was as bad at choosing teams as Mark Webber was

I've thought about that a lot. Most teams he joins seem to regress either as soon as he arrives (McLaren, Alpine) or while he's there (Ferrari). Correlation/causation, I know.