PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2021

TravelGal
07-12-21, 12:56 PM
Assuming you're planning to watch, how is everyone planning to watch? Avoiding the talking heads on NBC is my top priority.

G.
07-13-21, 02:38 AM
Looking forward to the buttcams on women pole vaulters and beach volleyball.

Anything else, meh.

:p

pfc_m_drake
07-13-21, 04:33 PM
In this country I think you're stuck with NBC/Peacock Streaming.
If you have a satellite (or know of a good Sports Bar) the 'best' option would be if they had the Canadian sports channels.

There are, of course, options that are of questionable legality, depending on your inclination...but no sure I'd recommend going those routes.

TedN
07-13-21, 06:35 PM
I'll be watching on the CBC TV channel. I believe they are also streaming at https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer

SteveH
07-13-21, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to the up close and personal segments.

:laugh:

TravelGal
07-14-21, 12:20 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

nrc
07-14-21, 03:45 PM

Reminds me of an old National Lampoon bit called "Gymnasty". I won't link it because I'm pretty sure it's grounds for arrest according to modern sensibilities.

SteveH
07-14-21, 04:24 PM
I just listened to it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SteveH
07-14-21, 06:29 PM
Must see TV (https://www.nbc.com/olympic-dreams-featuring-jonas-brothers)

Or not :tony:

RaceGrrl
07-15-21, 08:12 AM
Reminds me of an old National Lampoon bit called "Gymnasty". I won't link it because I'm pretty sure it's grounds for arrest according to modern sensibilities.

You beat me to it. :D

nrc
07-15-21, 09:41 AM
You beat me to it. :D

Full disclaimer, first heard that on Missy's National Lampoon album when we were dating. Like Monty Python, if you find a girl who laughs at that stuff you have to marry her. :D

Apologies TravelGal, for taking your thread off on a tangent. :)

TravelGal
07-16-21, 02:48 PM
Full disclaimer, first heard that on Missy's National Lampoon album when we were dating. Like Monty Python, if you find a girl who laughs at that stuff you have to marry her. :D

Apologies TravelGal, for taking your thread off on a tangent. :)

The best part about OffCamber is that even the tangents are interesting. Sometimes, as now, more interesting than the original post. :D

opinionated ow
07-16-21, 09:28 PM
I won't miss the triathlon but I'm pissed as hell at the Australian team selections.

TravelGal
07-17-21, 12:59 PM
All the teams are pretty much "off" this year. Selections defy logic sometimes.

I'm worried about the whole thing going forward again now that they've had a case within the Olympic Village. :(

opinionated ow
07-23-21, 04:23 AM
I hope that the Fijian Rugby 7s team pick up the Gold again. This was their frankly amazing celebration of winning last time out in Rio

ParyHNZ_JIQ

stroker
07-23-21, 06:49 AM
I was leaving work and they had Women's Softball on the big screens at the bar. The American team was playing Canada. The American pitcher (can't remember her name--started with a "P") had the most insane throwing technique I've ever seen, but EFF ME could she get some velocity on that ball...

TravelGal
07-23-21, 12:04 PM
I was leaving work and they had Women's Softball on the big screens at the bar. The American team was playing Canada. The American pitcher (can't remember her name--started with a "P") had the most insane throwing technique I've ever seen, but EFF ME could she get some velocity on that ball...

Monica Abbott one-hit the Canada softball team yesterday in the Olympics. Was that it?

opinionated ow
07-23-21, 08:19 PM
Opening Ceremony was awful, apart from the Pictogram bit. Bach said solidarity so many times that I wondered if he was giving a speech to Cominform or Comintern

stroker
07-24-21, 06:52 AM
Monica Abbott one-hit the Canada softball team yesterday in the Olympics. Was that it?

Yeah, I think so... There's a video of that game on YT so if you're curious you can see what I was referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puM_8UTTy1s

TravelGal
07-24-21, 08:54 PM
Opening Ceremony was awful, apart from the Pictogram bit. Bach said solidarity so many times that I wondered if he was giving a speech to Cominform or Comintern

I guess your announcers didn't beat unto you that it would be scaled down. It was pretty minimalist but I thought it was okay except for that pictogram thing which was a total classic. I went back on my DVR and watched it twice!

The only thing I care about is watching the athletes come in. Having been lucky enough to walk onto the field of Sydney's Olympic stadium, I can attest to what the experience is like even for a TOURIST. For an athlete that has worked tens of thousands of hours, just to be there has to be beyond description. You could see it on their faces.