PDA

View Full Version : Divided NASCAR

TravelGal
06-23-21, 04:39 PM
I don't watch NASCAR but I wondered about the "divided fan base" mentioned in the subject line since we've had a bit of that ourselves. Fascinating read here.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a36720842/regarding-the-all-star-race-and-nascars-divided-fan-base/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=061521&utm_campaign=nl24153847&utm_term=AAA%20--%20High%20Minus%20Dormant%20and%2090%20Day%20Non%2 0Openers

Excerpts:
It’s not the car enthusiasts and motorsport fans they’re after.
NASCAR’s response to this casual fan’s exit has been to pursue them wherever they’ve gone, largely at the expense of racing fans who brought them to a point where they could do business with FOX Sports and NBC Sports in the first place.
A race like the All-Star Race has been so polarizing in the NASCAR community because it’s reflective of the battle lines that have been decisively drawn between its two most vocal factions—those who inherently like racing cars and those who prefer a show utilizing cars.
It’s motorsports versus motorsports entertainment.

And there you have the fate of IndyCar, which I swear I almost called IRL. :cry: :tony:

nrc
06-25-21, 12:41 AM
NASCAR coming to a street race venue near you. :gomer:

SteveH
06-25-21, 03:33 PM
NASCAR coming to a street race venue near you. :gomer:

‘Everything on the table’ with future schedules as Chicago street course takes to iRacing (https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2021/03/24/chicago-road-course-iracing-cup-series-future-schedules/)

The 2022 NASCAR schedule has yet to be released, but the pending appearance of a Chicago street circuit for the iRacing platform — developed in conjunction with NASCAR officials — begs the question whether virtual reality might one day become reality.

boogity

pfc_m_drake
07-01-21, 08:35 PM
Reviving this thread because it seems appropriate...

I just checked TVRacer.com to see what time/channel the NASCAR Race was this weekend at Daytona (since it's 4th of July - it's obviously time for the 'Firecracker' 400).

As I punch up the website I find that NASCAR is NOT racing at Daytona this weekend.
No.
It turns out they are running Road America at Elkhart Lake. :saywhat:

Yep. Turns out that Daytona 2 has been given the prominent date of Saturday August 28th this year.
Guess I shouldn't have made fun of TravelGal's inquiry of how to get to Elkhart Lake. Turns out it's going to be ripped with BoogityBoogityBoogity fans this weekend :laugh:

So anyway...yeah. Divided NASCAR fan base.
Divided on whether we try and grab our traditional seating location at the entrance of the Carousel - or do we try something different and see if we can grab a spot near Canada Corner :laugh:

I'll stop now...

opinionated ow
07-01-21, 09:09 PM
Reviving this thread because it seems appropriate...

I just checked TVRacer.com to see what time/channel the NASCAR Race was this weekend at Daytona (since it's 4th of July - it's obviously time for the 'Firecracker' 400).

As I punch up the website I find that NASCAR is NOT racing at Daytona this weekend.
No.
It turns out they are running Road America at Elkhart Lake. :saywhat:

Yep. Turns out that Daytona 2 has been given the prominent date of Saturday August 28th this year.
Guess I shouldn't have made fun of TravelGal's inquiry of how to get to Elkhart Lake. Turns out it's going to be ripped with BoogityBoogityBoogity fans this weekend :laugh:

So anyway...yeah. Divided NASCAR fan base.
Divided on whether we try and grab our traditional seating location at the entrance of the Carousel - or do we try something different and see if we can grab a spot near Canada Corner :laugh:

I'll stop now...

August 28 is the last race before the Play-Offs which is why they chose it I think

pfc_m_drake
07-01-21, 09:39 PM
August 28 is the last race before the Play-Offs which is why they chose it I think

I'm sure you're right.
I guess I wonder why the change...and do they really think it's a good move?
I guess we'll see.

devilmaster
07-05-21, 10:56 PM
throw s%&t at a wall, see what sticks.

pfc_m_drake
07-07-21, 12:48 PM
throw s%&t at a wall, see what sticks.

You're probably correct.

devilmaster
07-07-21, 10:24 PM
You're probably correct.

They've changed one of charlotte's races to the road course, added the daytona road course, added COTA, added Road America, moved the Indy race to the road course.

Atlanta will be re-profiled soon, Phoenix was completely redesigned, they made Bristol a dirt race, Fontana will be neutered to a short oval...

Am i missing anything? Partridge in a pear tree?

pfc_m_drake
07-07-21, 10:50 PM
They've changed one of charlotte's races to the road course, added the daytona road course, added COTA, added Road America, moved the Indy race to the road course.

Atlanta will be re-profiled soon, Phoenix was completely redesigned, they made Bristol a dirt race, Fontana will be neutered to a short oval...

Am i missing anything? Partridge in a pear tree?
I think that you covered it.
Funny thing is, I can remember when they were going the completely opposite direction and running the Motegi Oval as an exhibition. And it doesn't seem like that long ago.

My how things change.

TravelGal
07-08-21, 01:55 PM
I think that you covered it.
Funny thing is, I can remember when they were going the completely opposite direction and running the Motegi Oval as an exhibition. And it doesn't seem like that long ago.

My how things change.

And IndyCar is back to adding more ovals. :rolleyes:

pfc_m_drake
07-08-21, 03:38 PM
And IndyCar is back to adding more ovals. :rolleyes:

Somebody had a vision and thought it was a good idea. :p

RTKar
07-10-21, 07:58 AM
So maybe CART was right all along, a healthy mix of track types...who would have "thunk" it :irked:

TheGuywho
08-13-21, 03:32 PM
Well, they had to do something, it will be interesting next year how the new car handles on the road races. I went to both Austin & Road America. A nice change from 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks.

WickerBill
08-14-21, 07:33 PM
NASCAR is infinitely more interesting to me on road courses. But I'm not really their target audience, so their moves are perplexing.

They really lost me as a casual fan with the playoffs.

TravelGal
08-16-21, 12:35 PM
Maybe time does heal all (or most) wounds. I was actually glad that Allmendinger won. His pre-race shout out to Jenkins and Miller softened my heart enough that I was actually happy the little jerk won it. Oh, did I say that?

pfc_m_drake
08-16-21, 01:48 PM
Maybe time does heal all (or most) wounds. I was actually glad that Allmendinger won. His pre-race shout out to Jenkins and Miller softened my heart enough that I was actually happy the little jerk won it. Oh, did I say that? It's ok. We were all thinking it. You just had the courage to say it.