PDA

View Full Version : Cellular antennas?

nrc
06-21-21, 03:47 PM
Anyone have experience with cellular antennas? Besides the one you had on your 1990s flip phone, I mean?

As mentioned, we've added some additional acreage to our bug-out compound and the next problem is cell coverage. I don't feel good about doing a lot of work out there without some means of emergency contact. Previous owner had landline service at one time but the carrier is telling us service is not available. My guess is that they've either started retiring copper nodes or they've all been sucked up by rural DSL service.

We have electric service in a shelter there so some kind of fixed wireless might be viable. Calling over wifi would then be an option. We're down in a holler so we're right on the fringe of cellular coverage. I plan to take a hotspot down this weekend and climb a ladder to see if getting a reliable signal is just a matter of getting some height. I may buy a cheap antenna to try out as well.

Satellite Internet is an option but I really don't want to spend $100 a month for Internet in a location we may use two or three times a month during the summer.

Anyone have experience with this? Antenna or hotspot suggestions?

pfc_m_drake
06-21-21, 08:18 PM
My parents house is out in 'the boonies'.

They ended up getting a cellular antenna installed by (I think) Verizon. It seemed to work well enough - they put a small antenna on the 2nd floor of the house which came into a repeater inside the house. The repeater required power (and I think had a battery backup).

I *think* that Verizon even did it for 'free', but don't quote me on that.
That would be your fixed-wireless option.

Regarding the DIY WiFi Hotspot extender...how far do you need to go? This guy claims to be able to send a signal up to 1000 feet (https://winegard.com/products/wifi/extenders/extreme-wifi-home/extreme-wifi-extender?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInKb9xfqp8QIViYXICh0HIAZ 2EAQYCyABEgIE6fD_BwE) but I'm skeptical. I'd be tempted to go with something from Ubquiti (https://www.newegg.com/ubiquiti-uap-ac-lr-us/p/0XM-0013-00050?item=0XM-0013-00050&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-network+-+wireless+ap%2fbridge-_-0XM-0013-00050&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInKb9xfqp8QIViYXICh0HIAZ2EAQYBSAB EgITwPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) but I have to confess that I've never tasked myself with the challenge of 'Let me see how far I can extend my network. In fact, if anything, I'm kind of the opposite since I don't want leaches trying to hack in...but I digress.

WickerBill
06-21-21, 09:45 PM
https://ayrstone.com/www/

Made to cover farmland with wifi, long range with just the hub unit, but mesh repeaters available...

nrc
06-21-21, 10:58 PM
Good stuff. WB's option would mean that we can extend wifi to the gun nest on the hillside. Deer stand. I meant deer stand.

I've used some of the Ubiquiti wifi bridges at work and they work very well for point to point.

But wifi extension doesn't address the first hurdle, which is cellular signal. We're on the edge of coverage there and standing on the ground near the power it's zero bars.

Verizon doesn't support a fixed wireless option (LTE or 5G) at that address so they'll be no help. Cellular repeaters seem a bit pricey so I'm hoping I can just put cellular antenna up on a pole or a tree and get a decent cell signal to feed a wireless gateway or hotspot. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/10-12dBi-External-Bracket-Booster-Nighthawk/dp/B088FBV6HF/ref=psdc_3015438011_t2_B07ZYVHZYS

WickerBill
06-22-21, 08:52 AM
So - you really want cellular vs wifi... or you want both?

nrc
06-22-21, 09:16 AM
So - you really want cellular vs wifi... or you want both?

I really want both. I need a cellular connection for my hotspot or gateway to provide Internet. I want wifi so I can use wifi calling and other Internet connected devices.

pfc_m_drake
06-22-21, 03:08 PM
Can you try the antenna that you linked (or am I missing something?) You exposure is less than $50 and returns should be easy i you live near UPS Store.

FWIW, the antenna Verizon used at my parents' house was rather short (less than 1 foot total length) and seemed to do the trick. If you're seeking an opinion, I'd give it a shot if it were me.

nrc
06-23-21, 10:06 PM
Can you try the antenna that you linked (or am I missing something?) You exposure is less than $50 and returns should be easy i you live near UPS Store.

FWIW, the antenna Verizon used at my parents' house was rather short (less than 1 foot total length) and seemed to do the trick. If you're seeking an opinion, I'd give it a shot if it were me.

You're not missing anything. I just wondered if anyone had experience with this kind of setup that they could share. Seems like it's a pretty common setup among RVers.

I probably won't spring for the antenna yet. I'm going to scout the location with a hotspot and a ladder first. That should tell me whether I need to get more height with some kind of mast.

pfc_m_drake
06-24-21, 08:38 PM
You're not missing anything. I just wondered if anyone had experience with this kind of setup that they could share. Seems like it's a pretty common setup among RVers.

I probably won't spring for the antenna yet. I'm going to scout the location with a hotspot and a ladder first. That should tell me whether I need to get more height with some kind of mast.I think it's a solid plan. If you've got relatively clear line of site, I suspect it will do the trick. Good luck :thumbup:

G.
06-26-21, 06:11 PM
I really want both. I need a cellular connection for my hotspot or gateway to provide Internet. I want wifi so I can use wifi calling and other Internet connected devices.
(note: I started to type this up yesterday, got interupted, and didn't feel like checking today if someone else said the same thing as below.)

I'm sure that you know this, but...
You need to have a cellular modem connected to the antenna. It converts the cellular signal into ethernet, whether it's cabled with CAT6 thru the cabin, or whether you send it out as Wi-Fi.

It's not going to be your standard cheap Netgear with CAT-6 in, and 4 CAT-6 out with Wi-Fi added into it.

It won't be a DOCSIS cable modem with a cable that looks like a normal TV cable going into it (and your standard 4 CAT-6 jacks, with Wi-Fi).

I'm not super familiar with cellular modems. Not the legal ones, anyway. ;)

There's also cellular amplifiers that can work very well, but they are HARD to get right. You need to keep your receive antenna isolated from your transmit antenna. The cost of these systems are not really the amplifiers so much, but the filtering that keeps each signal from interferring with the other amplifier.

My brother has one on his boat that he was trying to optimize. I was trying to help him debug it until I found out is was for a 2G cellular system. Then I found something else to do.

G.
06-26-21, 06:18 PM
Also, if your main focus is data (and calling over Wi-Fi), then consider Point-to-multi-point Wireless ISP's. You could get 25 Mbps if there's a water tower nearby.

I'll come walking out there to your bug-out place unannounced sometime and look around for a while, see if I have any other ideas. Would that be OK?? :eek:

I'll wear camo, so as to not make a scene.

nrc
06-26-21, 11:06 PM
Also, if your main focus is data (and calling over Wi-Fi), then consider Point-to-multi-point Wireless ISP's. You could get 25 Mbps if there's a water tower nearby.

I'll come walking out there to your bug-out place unannounced sometime and look around for a while, see if I have any other ideas. Would that be OK?? :eek:

I'll wear camo, so as to not make a scene.

We're in a hollow so there's no line of sight to anything but hills and sky.

There are camo hunting blinds all over the property so you'd fit right in. Don't be alarmed by the signs. It came decorated that way.

First test was a fail. Nothing useful on the hotspot from the roof. Occasional 1x connection but not stable. They have about a 20 foot flagpole there. I put the Verizon hotspot in a bag and ran it up the flag pole. I got an occasional 3G connection but not stable enough to be useful.

Next step is to mount the antenna I linked to the top of the flag pole and see if that will be enough to pull in something useful. If it's close but no cigar I may try a different carrier. The Tmobile/Sprint tower is slightly closer than the Verizon tower. If that doesn't do it I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get Starlink.

nrc
07-13-21, 09:21 PM
Second test was a fail. I mounted the cellular antenna at the top of the flag pole and got virtually the same result. The fact that there was little improvement suggests to me that there's just no signal there to be had. All the carriers show pretty much the same dead spot so rather than waste time on trying different carriers or a better spot I think I'm going to bite the bullet and look at satellite.

It's more than I want to pay but Starlink is cool enough that it has some entertainment value and it's a better solution for the long term because of the higher bandwidth. The phased array antenna has to be able to track the satellites across the sky with minimal obstructions so they have a cool feature on their app that let you visualize the unobstructed view of the sky needed for the dish. So next trip we'll see if that's a possibility.

SteveH
07-14-21, 09:11 AM
You piqued my interest in Starlink, Richard. I went to their site and entered my address. Not available today but probably by the end of the year. It is more expensive than what I pay for Comcast. And I really don't think it is an option since my house is surrounded by trees to the south and west. Even roof mounting the receiver on the second story roof would be an issue. The bandwidth delivered would be a tad better than what I receive now, which is sufficient for my needs.

from last November.... still in its infancy....

SpaceX Starlink has some hiccups as expected, but users are impressed (https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/11/spacex-starlink-has-some-hiccups-as-expected-but-users-are-impressed/)

Filed away for if I ever move to a remote location.

nrc
07-23-21, 11:39 PM
Hold the phone! Missy tried Frontier again just on a whim and this time they said that we could get blazing fast DSL service for only $35 a month. It's only the basic 9Mbps service but that should be more than adequate for voice calling if they can deliver. Install in two weeks. We'll see.

nrc
08-06-21, 03:16 AM
And it's off again. Missy called Frontier to confirm the appointment for tomorrow and they told her that the installer already checked and they're back to "no available ports". Sad trombone.

Supposedly they're hoping to increase capacity soon. I'm guessing they're counting on some of that sweet FCC rural broadband cash.

WickerBill
08-06-21, 07:47 AM
I would be very frustrated.

nrc
12-31-21, 12:18 AM
Winner, winner chicken dinner!

I was checking coverage maps and discovered that AT&T's map shows solid coverage down in the holler. It's almost a solid sea of 4G LTE in that area. I figured their map had to be wrong - not taking the hills into account or something.

I checked the tower locations and there are two, each just under half a mile closer than the Verizon towers but still a pretty good distance. Could I dare to hope?

I got a nice wireless hotspot figuring I could return it if it didn't work out. The Netgear Nighthawk M1 has antenna inputs and a wired connection if it works out and I want eventually leave it there as the router for a permanent network. Think security cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-M1-MR1100-Hotspot/dp/B083ZMC7C8

I got an AT&T Prepaid SIM for $10 bucks at Target and signed up for their $35/15GB plan. That's their cheapest plan for a Hotspot that you can pay monthly. I figure if it doesn't work I'm out $45 bucks tops.

Score! Drove down there today to dump some brush and pick up some firewood. Not a great signal, but enough for a solid 1Mbps data connection just sitting on the table with no antenna. That's plenty for WiFi voice calling and light browsing. Signal improved setting it up in the rafters so I'm hopeful if I connect the antenna I'll get 5-10Mbps out of it.

I'm just thrilled because I was afraid I was going to have to get Starlink at $100 a month to get a connection out there. That will be a good deal once we're out there a lot but it's too much for occasional visits. With the prepaid data plan I don't think I even have to pay it if we're not going to be out there. As I understand the terms the account will stay active for up to a year. Data just doesn't work if it's not paid.

Eventually we'll probably switch our phones to AT&T, but right now we both have work plans through Verizon.

RaceGrrl
01-03-22, 02:57 PM
Was a relief to see we had service. This way if I injure myself doing work on the place, we can at least get a call out to 911. No pizza places nearby though, so we're out of luck for food delivery.

SteveH
03-05-22, 04:14 PM
Second test was a fail. I mounted the cellular antenna at the top of the flag pole and got virtually the same result. The fact that there was little improvement suggests to me that there's just no signal there to be had. All the carriers show pretty much the same dead spot so rather than waste time on trying different carriers or a better spot I think I'm going to bite the bullet and look at satellite.

It's more than I want to pay but Starlink is cool enough that it has some entertainment value and it's a better solution for the long term because of the higher bandwidth. The phased array antenna has to be able to track the satellites across the sky with minimal obstructions so they have a cool feature on their app that let you visualize the unobstructed view of the sky needed for the dish. So next trip we'll see if that's a possibility.

Richard, here’s Starlink in action

https://twitter.com/olegkutkov/status/1500121886847557639?s=20&t=-klvmhxE3W-G-BFKsmMEvg

Impressive!

nrc
03-06-22, 08:30 PM
Richard, here’s Starlink in action

https://twitter.com/olegkutkov/status/1500121886847557639?s=20&t=-klvmhxE3W-G-BFKsmMEvg

Impressive!

I've been following it on Reddit and it seems promising. I used their app to check for clear sky and it looks like I'll need to put it up on a mast to get clear of the trees but it shouldn't be too bad. Once we're spending more time out there we'll give it a go.