PDA

View Full Version : Road America 2021

G.
06-20-21, 08:42 PM
For a follow-the-leader race, this wasn't too bad. I feel bad for [won't spoiler].

There were some drivers behind the leaders that must've watched Days of Thunder recently.

"Rubbin' is racin'".

I was glad to hear from the announcers that IndyCar is harder to learn than most drivers expect. I mean, it took F1 driver Grosjean 2 weeks to get up to speed! :laugh:

pfc_m_drake
06-21-21, 05:14 AM
For a follow-the-leader race, this wasn't too bad. I feel bad for [won't spoiler].

There were some drivers behind the leaders that must've watched Days of Thunder recently.

"Rubbin' is racin'".

I was glad to hear from the announcers that IndyCar is harder to learn than most drivers expect. I mean, it took F1 driver Grosjean 2 weeks to get up to speed! :laugh:Agreed on all accounts. I myself was thinking that it didn't take Kevin Magnussen very long to get up to speed - particularly when you consider h hadn't even planned on running this race at the start of last week.

Regarding 'Rubbin' is racin': They seem to be able to run off-track with impunity and never damage a single tire. There was more dirt and debris thrown up in this race than I can recall in recent memory. Between the rubbin' and dirt everywhere I was thinking that a few guys should have cut a sidewall at some point - but maybe having an indestructible tire is part of the plan to spice-up the show.

TravelGal
06-21-21, 03:53 PM

"Rubbin' is racin'".

I was glad to hear from the announcers that IndyCar is harder to learn than most drivers expect. I mean, it took F1 driver Grosjean 2 weeks to get up to speed! :laugh:

:laugh::laugh: I thought surely he didn't mean to say THAT. As usual, I had the opposite reaction. I thought it was one of the most engaging races this year. The leaders were off on their own; so what? It's the end that counts, as [spoiler] knows too well. There was a lot of action all over the track and it was covered by some of the best camera work I've seen on any race. Compare that to the F1 race, which I watched after Road America, which I thought was a real snoozer, except, as Verstappen said, I did like the end. ;)

TravelGal
06-21-21, 03:56 PM
Say there folks, how does one actually get to Road America? When they were showing the weather map, I realized it's halfway between Milwaukee and Green Bay. Fly into one or the other and drive? I don't really attend races any more but I might consider this one just to see the venue and to visit my college roommate who lives in Wisconsin.

pfc_m_drake
06-21-21, 08:01 PM
Say there folks, how does one actually get to Road America? When they were showing the weather map, I realized it's halfway between Milwaukee and Green Bay. Fly into one or the other and drive? I don't really attend races any more but I might consider this one just to see the venue and to visit my college roommate who lives in Wisconsin.
*Looks at TravelGal's handle.*
*Reads question...'How to get to Road America?'*
*Looks at TravelGal's handle again*
:confused:

:D:rofl:

stroker
06-22-21, 07:05 AM

I would have to believe Milwaukee airport would be easiest and cheapest to book, but Madison might be competitive. Prolly book a flight to either then rent a car and head towards Manitowoc.

A trip to RA for a race, brats and some roasted corn on the cob should probably be on the bucket list of every OC'er, IMHO. Although it's not the same as it was 50 years ago... :(

RTKar
06-22-21, 06:00 PM
I'd fly into Milwaukee, rent a car & drive up. It's 68 miles from Mitchell Airport to Elkhart Lake. For hotels look into Elkhart Lake, Plymouth and Sheboygan Wisc....book your hotel room early.

TravelGal
06-22-21, 06:50 PM
I'd fly into Milwaukee, rent a car & drive up. It's 68 miles from Mitchell Airport to Elkhart Lake. For hotels look into Elkhart Lake, Plymouth and Sheboygan Wisc....book your hotel room early.

:thumbup::thumbup: Thank you!

RTKar
06-23-21, 12:13 AM
:thumbup::thumbup: Thank you!

You're welcome :)

KaBoom21
06-23-21, 09:22 AM
My last trip to Mecca was on a '94 CB1000 outta Chicago. Ease of ingress/egress and the passenger seat perfectly accommodated a bungeed-down pizza.

Preferred way for me to do RA is bring a bicycle for easy access to various points of the track. Standing in the woods as they scream past and get on the brakes big-time before turn 5 is a must-do.

I need a race.

Gopeddle
06-23-21, 02:54 PM

I used to have to go there every year and I found it convenient to fly into Appleton, WI and drive down. It didn't take long and it's not as busy as Milwaukee.

RTKar
06-23-21, 06:55 PM
I used to have to go there every year and I found it convenient to fly into Appleton, WI and drive down. It didn't take long and it's not as busy as Milwaukee.

Milwaukee's a piece of cake...it's like flying into Mayberry. I suppose it depends on where you're flying from and price, connections as well.

G.
06-25-21, 04:53 PM
As usual, I had the opposite reaction. I thought it was one of the most engaging races this year. The leaders were off on their own; so what? It's the end that counts, as [spoiler] knows too well. There was a lot of action all over the track and it was covered by some of the best camera work I've seen on any race.

No, I agree with you. It was interesting to watch.

I keep rooting for Seabass for some odd reason, and the g. told me that he's too old and slow to run up front.
It made me sad to think that he might be right.
He's grounded!

G.
06-25-21, 05:03 PM
My last trip to Mecca was on a '94 CB1000 outta Chicago. Ease of ingress/egress and the passenger seat perfectly accommodated a bungeed-down pizza.

Preferred way for me to do RA is bring a bicycle for easy access to various points of the track. Standing in the woods as they scream past and get on the brakes big-time before turn 5 is a must-do.

I need a race.

If you haven't been there in a while, you may not recognize it. You can walk along the track from the carosel to turn 13/14 on paved asphalt. It's louder than turn 5, and it would be best to use a golf cart or motorcycle, because I am old.

The Porsches hurt my ears (IMSA).

The fences seemed to have crept away from the track in T5, or my memory has.

RTKar
06-25-21, 06:30 PM
If you haven't been there in a while, you may not recognize it. You can walk along the track from the carosel to turn 13/14 on paved asphalt. It's louder than turn 5, and it would be best to use a golf cart or motorcycle, because I am old.

The Porsches hurt my ears (IMSA).

The fences seemed to have crept away from the track in T5, or my memory has.

Seem to be the same they've been for quite awhile...that said, somewhere out there on Youtube is a video of a World Challenge Ferrari taking a couple hundred feet of fence out in the run down to T-5...scary stuff.

TravelGal
06-26-21, 01:31 PM
*Looks at TravelGal's handle.*
*Reads question...'How to get to Road America?'*
*Looks at TravelGal's handle again*
:confused:

:D:rofl:

:laugh::laugh: I don't do US travel. Only international. That said, while I'm still laughing at your post, the only way one learns is by asking the experts. I always go to an expert when a planning a trip and YOU guys are the experts on race travel.

pfc_m_drake
06-26-21, 03:25 PM
:laugh::laugh: I don't do US travel. Only international. That said, while I'm still laughing at your post, the only way one learns is by asking the experts. I always go to an expert when a planning a trip and YOU guys are the experts on race travel.
I know.
I was just teasing! :D

TravelGal
06-26-21, 03:54 PM
I know.
I was just teasing! :D

I know. That's why I was laughing.:thumbup: I was just answering.

opinionated ow
06-27-21, 04:14 AM

I'll keep that in mind when my long awaited US racing trip occurs then ;)
(in all seriousness I will definitely be asking you folks for tips when I come up with an itinerary)

I live in Prison Australis so even if I wanted to leave I can't, let alone return

TravelGal
07-01-21, 05:52 PM
I'll keep that in mind when my long awaited US racing trip occurs then ;)
(in all seriousness I will definitely be asking you folks for tips when I come up with an itinerary)

I live in Prison Australis so even if I wanted to leave I can't, let alone return

Always happy to pontificate on anything to do with travel. :D

G.
07-28-21, 10:06 PM
For hotels look into Elkhart Lake, Plymouth and Sheboygan Wisc....book your hotel room early.

I can't find it now, too much has changed since the early 2000's, but near the Kohler factory and museum there used to be a hotel semi-attached to an unimpressive-looking strip mall. It was within stumbling distance to The Horse and Plow, which apparently serves food, too. ;)

It seemed that all of the CART drivers and teams booked that hotel, and they all ate at the Italian restaurant in the strip mall. I think that this place may be gone. :( I think that they may have replaced it with the school.

There were some interesting things to see there.