PDA

View Full Version : United Tapped A Startup To Build 15 Supersonic Jets That Would Cut Flight Times In Ha

SteveH
06-03-21, 12:06 PM
https://jalopnik.com/united-tapped-a-startup-to-build-15-supersonic-jets-tha-1847024105

The Overture is planned to zoom along at 1.7 Mach speed and should be net-zero carbon from day one, United said in a press release. The plans will be optimized to run on sustainable aviation fuel. The planes should be in United’s hands by 2025 with plans to take to the skies with passengers by 2029.

Imagine flying from Newark to London in just three and a half hours, or San Francisco to Tokyo in just six. United also says that the Overtures will have “...features such as in-seat entertainment screens, ample personal space, and contactless technology.” Much like the Concorde, I’d expect seats on these Overtures to likely come at a premium.

I'm in. 8 years out might be optimistic. But I would buy a ticket to London just to say I flew faster than the speed of sound. :thumbup:

Lux Interior
06-03-21, 12:27 PM
That would revolutionize air travel. We could easily go the Belgian GP!

opinionated ow
06-04-21, 08:06 AM
I'll believe it when it actually happens

TravelGal
06-04-21, 10:51 AM
The ARTA E-News version
United Airlines Announces Deal With Boom Supersonic For Faster-Than-Sound Commercial Flights
TPG [the Points Guy] reports United said on Thursday that it had signed a deal with Boom Supersonic, a startup working to develop the first supersonic commercial jet since the Concorde, to purchase up to 50 of the company’s planned passenger jet. Under the deal, United would purchase 15 of Boom’s Overture jet, which the startup plans to enter into commercial service in 2029, with the option for up to 35 more. The Concorde was retired in 2003 after it proved to be economically unsustainable for airlines, in a market that had for decades been focused on lowering costs and improving operating efficiency, rather than speed. Boom has insisted that it can make supersonic flight practical for the current airline market and more affordable for passengers. Boom and United said on Thursday that United’s future supersonic fleet would be considered net-zero carbon, and would fly entirely on sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). “United continues on its trajectory to build a more innovative, sustainable airline and today’s advancements in technology are making it more viable for that to include supersonic planes,” United CEO Scott Kirby said in a statement. “Our mission has always been about connecting people and now working with Boom, we’ll be able to do that on an even greater scale.” Boom, which introduced a conceptual single-seat tester aircraft in 2020, said it plans to introduce the prototype Overture aircraft, an 88-seat commercial airliner, in 2025, with the jet making its first flight the following year, before entering service in 2029. While Boom CEO Blake Scholl has insisted that modern design tools and technology can help Boom overcome many of the challenges faced by the Concorde, the plane will still create a sonic boom when traveling at faster-than-sound speeds, limiting its use to over-ocean routes. Fares are expected to be similar to today’s business-class fares, Scholl said at the time, although the limited number of seats on the plane, combined with the high relative cost of SAF, make that optimistic. While United’s agreement with Boom lends considerable legitimacy to the startup’s plans, it’s ultimately a low-risk investment for the airline. Notably, numerous airlines placed orders for the Concorde in the 1970s, including American Airlines, TWA, Continental and United, before eventually canceling.

nrc
06-04-21, 01:44 PM
This is interesting because it seems like someone like Boeing would be in a much better position to leverage their existing technology to deliver something like this. Their experience with using carbon fiber in the Dreamliner would seem to be particularly relevant. I'm guessing that for someone like Boeing the economics just don't work on what they would assume to be a small volume production line.

WickerBill
06-04-21, 06:26 PM
Right. That's why GM and Ford didn't build a Tesla, until a smaller company came and proved that a) it could make money, and b) there was a market.

Risk aversion...

devilmaster
06-07-21, 01:01 PM
I would love to see it, but i'm in the highly doubtful/critical group that it will ever come to fruition...

Unless...... the middle east Kingships buy into it. Just so they can brag they have them.

This is interesting because it seems like someone like Boeing would be in a much better position to leverage their existing technology to deliver something like this. Their experience with using carbon fiber in the Dreamliner would seem to be particularly relevant. I'm guessing that for someone like Boeing the economics just don't work on what they would assume to be a small volume production line.

Read an interesting article the other day on my pocket about how the mcdonnell douglas buyout changed boeing. Kinda makes the explanation why they couldn't tackle this...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1997-merger-paved-way-boeing-090042193.html

TravelGal
06-08-21, 12:26 PM
I would love to see it, but i'm in the highly doubtful/critical group that it will ever come to fruition...

Unless...... the middle east Kingships buy into it. Just so they can brag they have them.

Read an interesting article the other day on my pocket about how the mcdonnell douglas buyout changed boeing. Kinda makes the explanation why they couldn't tackle this...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1997-merger-paved-way-boeing-090042193.html

Excellent article. I wondered what had happened because it was obvious something changed dramatically. I hadn't noticed the date until I got to the "airlines are mostly profitable" line. I looked and saw it was written in January of 2020. It sorta leads into what I initially thought. Boeing can't do this because their financial position is faced with declining aircraft purchases and an increasing number of lawsuits looming on their horizon.

cameraman
06-09-21, 12:21 AM
I can't see the market for such a plane. The sonic boom issue limited the Concorde to a couple airports near the water. The laws of physics haven't changed and no one is going to put up with routine sonic booms over their heads.