PDA

View Full Version : RIP Uncle Bobby

pfc_m_drake
05-03-21, 12:07 PM
Heard that he passed away yesterday. One of the legends, RIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Unser

datachicane
05-03-21, 12:47 PM
Aw, geeze. The world was a richer place for having Uncle Bobby in it.

WickerBill
05-03-21, 03:18 PM
I was a young, avid Mario Andretti fan, wearing a Mario Andretti t-shirt, when I encountered Bobby entertaining guests at a sponsor's suite in May 1985(?). The youth is important because of what I boldly, and stupidly, said: "You must be proud of your two 500 wins."

He smiled a very wry grin and said "I've lost to that man on your shirt way more than I've won" or something very similar. Was a grudging fan of his after that - kind of had to be!

pfc_m_drake
05-03-21, 04:23 PM
I was a young, avid Mario Andretti fan, wearing a Mario Andretti t-shirt, when I encountered Bobby entertaining guests at a sponsor's suite in May 1985(?). The youth is important because of what I boldly, and stupidly, said: "You must be proud of your two 500 wins."

He smiled a very wry grin and said "I've lost to that man on your shirt way more than I've won" or something very similar. Was a grudging fan of his after that - kind of had to be!
That's an awesome story.

opinionated ow
05-03-21, 11:48 PM
There's some excellent content on both SpeedSport and Racer. This from Robin Miller: (https://racer.com/2021/05/03/miller-there-was-nobody-like-bobby-unser/)

He wanted to lead every lap, monopolize every conversation, chat up the prettiest girl in the room and have the final word. He couldn’t be bothered if he offended you because, “Son I only tell the truth,” and he had more opinions than boxes of oil stashed at his garage. He was fast and fearless in a race car, and dodged The Grim Reaper many times.

I'd have loved to have met him. What a character. Forever I will think "Now Sam, that's not quite right"

nrc
05-04-21, 02:43 AM
Two Uncle Bobby color commentary moments still in our lexicon to this day:

Talking about Adrian Fernandez: "He's a Mexican from Mexico."

Talking about someone narrowly avoiding a loose wheel bouncing across the track. "You don't wanna hit that. That would be bad."

Bobby was always a master of the obvious. RIP

SteveH
05-04-21, 09:49 AM
m0CaYumlHu0

SteveH
05-04-21, 09:51 AM
o5IRswnrkDE

RTKar
05-04-21, 09:22 PM
RIP

I feel fortunate to have seen him race in his prime. All the remaining great old drivers who were the name guys when I was growing up are getting up in age; Mario, Rutherford, Al Unser, Johncock, Foyt & PJ, even Tom Sneva is 72 now. He used to be the young up and coming guy.

Natty
05-27-21, 05:36 PM
m0CaYumlHu0

hell yeah

nrc
05-28-21, 11:12 PM
hell yeah

Welcome back. A 14 year hiatus may be a record. :D

Natty
06-03-21, 08:41 PM
Welcome back. A 14 year hiatus may be a record. :D

I’m just here for Champ Car Elvis