PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2021 Thread

nrc
04-19-21, 11:34 AM
Most important event of the NFL year so far: the Bengals unveil new uniforms.

I'm going to stay mum and let our resident uniform expert weigh in on these first.

WickerBill
04-19-21, 02:53 PM
I think he might be referring to me.

My quick assessment:

- Huge improvement. No side panel. No shoulder panel. Just the stripes on the base shirt or pants color. I mean enormous improvement.
- I hate the Bengals wordmark. Very college. I know they're the freaking Bengals. There are stripes everywhere. I didn't accidentally think they were the Dolphins.
- Really like the number font.
- All the combinations shown look solid, but they will do white shirt and black pants (Mormon Missionary look - doesn't work in Carolina, doesn't work in New Orleans, doesn't work in Jacksonville) and eventually they'll do orange pants, which will also look bad with a white shirt.

Overall, B- for the uniform set, but A+++ for the upgrade.

nrc
04-20-21, 02:21 AM
I think he might be referring to me.

Yeah, but all the other football costume aficionados are welcome to weigh in. :D

I pretty much agree. I hadn't realized how dated that multi-panel look at become until I saw how refreshing the white "color rush" outfit was. The new, super-clean look incorporates a lot of lessons from that.

I agree on the wordmark. I don't understand why they felt that was needed. They mentioned being inspired by the clean look of earlier uniforms. None of their jerseys had a team logo on the chest until the previous generation with the "B" logo.

A lot of folks liked the color rush whites so I think they wanted to keep that white tiger look. They've already got three pants, black with orange stripes, white with orange stripes, and white with black stripes. I really hope that eliminates the possibility of orange pants.

I really like the orange jersey with the black pants. I have a mental block on orange stripes on a black field (reverse tiger) so the black jersey is going to take some getting used to.

I like the font. Strong and distinct but not too wonky. I don't care for the slant on the base of the '9' but the other numbers I've seen look good.

I thought the shoulder numbers were required, but evidently not.

I give it a B+ for the design and a A++ for upgrade. Also A+ for not messing with the helmet.

One thing worth adding is that a lot of fans are encouraged by the way this was executed. My most accounts the whole production was first class. Mike Brown's granddaughter Elizabeth Blackburn has taken over "Strategy & Engagement" and she has all the messaging in sync with the commitment and swagger that Burrow has brought to the team. They're saying all the right things. Now there's that small detail of producing results to back that up.

WickerBill
04-20-21, 09:23 AM
I've seen more pictures now, and I can't state enough how much I hate the white-over-black look. I hope (in vain) they never wear it. The Ravens wear that alllll the time.

Orange-over-black, however, looks really great. I wish my Broncos would adopt orange-over-blue.