PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else tired of track limits being a constant thing.

Hard Driver
04-17-21, 10:57 PM
Seems like F1 is constantly deleting laps for track limits. Last race Hamilton was doing it, so then Verstappen was told to, so then they started warning people... Can't they just put some bigger sausages and curbs out there and just make it slower to hit them?

Imola is a old school track even where there is grass and gravel, unlike most F1 tracks now, and they still deleted a pole lap for track limits. I understand why, you cut a chicane or something and go faster, it is against the rules. But there were guys exceeding track limits all over other corners not getting penalties, just seems arbitrary in application.

pfc_m_drake
04-18-21, 07:22 AM
I'm ok with the concept of track limits, but you're right all the deleted laps are not a great thing. And I do like the idea of more sausage curbs...you want to go out there, you do it at your own risk.

This doesn't address deleted laps in qualifying but I kind of like the way MotoGP deals with track limits. You're allowed to exceed track limits 5 times, then you get a warning. If you do it again, you get a long lap penalty (there's a section of the track with added length).

RTKar
04-18-21, 09:40 AM
It's pretty anti climatic watching a great lap, only to have it deleted for a ticky tack violation. Make the penalty be a bumpier ride on rumble strips, upsetting the car, so no speed advantage is gained. Cutting corners, gaining advantage, is a whole different issue.

RTKar
04-18-21, 11:19 AM
An entertaining race, rain usually adds an interesting variable with the tire option.

:thumbup: traditonal tracks like Imola

cameraman
04-19-21, 12:48 AM
This time they were completely consistent and extremely strict concerning track limits. They need to be that way all of the time. They added quite a few new sausage curbs for this race, it worked out quite well.

Nice to see the McLarens and Ferraris doing well. Ricciardo may be having a little trouble getting up to speed at McLaren but I'm sure he is happy to be out of that much slower Renault.

WickerBill
04-19-21, 09:22 AM
My favorite track limits solution was accidental. Germany 2019, I think? Final turn. It had rained, and there was some brand new asphalt right beside a turn, and if the cars touched it, they basically lost 80% adhesion. Guess what? They avoided it like the plague. They stayed inside the white lines.

I guess the intentional equivalent would be grass.

Hard Driver
04-19-21, 01:16 PM
This time they were completely consistent and extremely strict concerning track limits. They need to be that way all of the time. They added quite a few new sausage curbs for this race, it worked out quite well.

Nice to see the McLarens and Ferraris doing well. Ricciardo may be having a little trouble getting up to speed at McLaren but I'm sure he is happy to be out of that much slower Renault. Still debatable for Ricciardo if leaving Reb Bull was the best choice.

opinionated ow
04-20-21, 03:33 AM
My favorite track limits solution was accidental. Germany 2019, I think? Final turn. It had rained, and there was some brand new asphalt right beside a turn, and if the cars touched it, they basically lost 80% adhesion. Guess what? They avoided it like the plague. They stayed inside the white lines.

I guess the intentional equivalent would be grass.

Not so much new asphalt as the start line for the drag strip. As soon as it gets wet it's undriveable with that goop they put on it

WickerBill
04-20-21, 09:14 AM
Not so much new asphalt as the start line for the drag strip. As soon as it gets wet it's undriveable with that goop they put on it

Yes, that's right, I remember now. Loved it.