PDA

View Full Version : "The Split" on YouTube...

stroker
04-03-21, 06:51 AM
I've been watching these episodes and assumed the OC crowd knew about them. I don't see a reference in the more recent posts so I'll put this here as an FYI. I think these are quite good--YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0oRbDzoYc&t=0s

devilmaster
04-11-21, 02:00 PM
I've been watching these episodes and assumed the OC crowd knew about them. I don't see a reference in the more recent posts so I'll put this here as an FYI. I think these are quite good--YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud0oRbDzoYc&t=0s

speaking of which... John Oreovicz wrote the definitive book.. comes out the 500 weekend. Probably get a copy, just to remind myself of all the things that happened that I forgot about.

Anyone else grabbing a copy?

pfc_m_drake
04-11-21, 03:20 PM
Yes - I preordered a copy. I'll be interested to see if Oreo goes into depth about how the unification of the 1998-1999 era fell apart. As I recall, a faction from the CART engine manufacturers of the time and Barry Green had brokered a unification deal with George. As the rumor I heard at the time goes - the deal was signed, sealed, and delivered. Leo Mehl had the release announcing unification written, and Mehl and George were slated to have a press conference in Indianapolis announcing the deal. At (quite literally) the last minute, George changed his mind, decided the war would go on, and the deal was off.

Perhaps TravelGal has some insight into that story - I've always wondered how true it was and hopefully the book will tell the tale.

I actually thought that the YT video wasn't that great, was poorly researched, and put a lot of the blame at the feet of CART. At one point in the video it's stated that (I'm paraphrasing) 'that the IRL switched to a spec chassis and engine which kept speeds slower and safer while CART stayed with their high-tech high-speed formula'. What that bit ignores is that the (allegedly safer) spec chassis included an unforgiving gearbox from Xtrac that earned the IRL the moniker 'formula ********' from people who don't necessarily post on this message board. Point being the IRL formula could hardly be considered inherently safer just because it was spec.

I don't know...I just thought the piece on YT was poor, but I guess I've become a bitter old man. Hopefully the book is better. Now you kids get off my lawn.

nrc
04-11-21, 07:29 PM
I didn't watch but I started to go off on a rant about the idiocy in the description of that video. They were "dismissive of Tony George." Right. Not nearly enough. :tony:

SteveH
04-11-21, 08:13 PM
I have no interest in rekindling being pissed off again. Pass on the videos and books.

opinionated ow
04-11-21, 08:13 PM
speaking of which... John Oreovicz wrote the definitive book.. comes out the 500 weekend. Probably get a copy, just to remind myself of all the things that happened that I forgot about.

Anyone else grabbing a copy?

Robin Miller has given it really good comments so I'm thinking about it.

TravelGal
04-12-21, 03:33 PM
Yes - I preordered a copy. I'll be interested to see if Oreo goes into depth about how the unification of the 1998-1999 era fell apart. As I recall, a faction from the CART engine manufacturers of the time and Barry Green had brokered a unification deal with George. As the rumor I heard at the time goes - the deal was signed, sealed, and delivered. Leo Mehl had the release announcing unification written, and Mehl and George were slated to have a press conference in Indianapolis announcing the deal. At (quite literally) the last minute, George changed his mind, decided the war would go on, and the deal was off.

Perhaps TravelGal has some insight into that story - I've always wondered how true it was and hopefully the book will tell the tale.

Now you kids get off my lawn.

I only know about the reason Honda pulled out. I had forgotten about the reunification bid. I remember that now but can't remember what I read about the reason it was called off. Loved the Spicoli reference. :D

G.
04-12-21, 11:31 PM

Perhaps TravelGal has some insight into that story - I've always wondered how true it was and hopefully the book will tell the tale..

I only know about the reason Honda pulled out. I had forgotten about the reunification bid. I remember that now but can't remember what I read about the reason it was called off. Loved the Spicoli reference. :D

Barry was partnered with Honda at the time, wasn't he?

I wonder if the book will talk about how "SpacerGate" ruined my big moment on the TeeVee? (We were setting up a fluff piece for a sponsors product, and Jon Beekus and Gary Gerald took off suddenly. They had just been notified that Honda was sitting out practice due to the surprise spacers.) :gomer::gomer:

pfc_m_drake
04-13-21, 08:53 PM
I didn't watch but I started to go off on a rant about the idiocy in the description of that video. They were "dismissive of Tony George." Right. Not nearly enough. :tony:You didn't miss anything by not watching. It was really poor. In one of the 4 parts, there's historical video of Chris Economacki (maybe it was Economacki...I don't remember). Anyway, the historical footage claims that democracy has never worked in open-wheel racing...the intimation being that Tony George was the hero dictator that was right to lead the sport...seemingly if CART had just listened, none of this would have happened.

As I said, you didn't miss anything.

pfc_m_drake
04-13-21, 09:02 PM
I only know about the reason Honda pulled out. I had forgotten about the reunification bid. I remember that now but can't remember what I read about the reason it was called off. Loved the Spicoli reference. :DYes - it's been a long time for me as well and my memory of the events has faded.

But as I recall it was circa 1998 timeframe, Green and Walker were involved, along with Dan Davis from Cosworth and few guys from Ilmor (might have even been Paul Morgan). All 4 engine manufacturers of the day were keenly interested in brokering a deal (as were we all), and (as the story goes) they thought they had one...with the press release been written by Leo Mehl (from the IRL) and the press conference called.

From what I recall of the rumor, George told Mehl that he had changed his mind as they were about to take the stage for the conference...and everybody ended up wondering why a conference was even called because there was basically nothing announced.

One of the side rumors I heard at the time involved an engine stability clause that CART had in their contracts with the engine manufacturers. The 4 manufacturers had agreed in principle to a new engine formula (turbo V6). However, due to the negotiations with TG, the date for ratification of the new engine formula came and went...necessitating that CART remain with the 2.65L turbo V8s for another 3 years (e.g. through circa 2001). The conspiracy theory was that TG intentionally negotiated in bad faith stringing the CART contingent along with the prospect of reunification until the date for the engine stability clause hit...then pulled the rug out from everybody.

I don't know if I give TG that much credit because, to be blunt, he's a pretty stupid guy and the above plan would take a fair bit intelligence to think through and implement...but it's one of the reasons I look forward to the book...maybe it will shed some light on some of these old war stories!

TravelGal
04-15-21, 11:28 PM
One of the side rumors I heard at the time involved an engine stability clause that CART had in their contracts with the engine manufacturers. The 4 manufacturers had agreed in principle to a new engine formula (turbo V6). However, due to the negotiations with TG, the date for ratification of the new engine formula came and went...necessitating that CART remain with the 2.65L turbo V8s for another 3 years (e.g. through circa 2001). The conspiracy theory was that TG intentionally negotiated in bad faith stringing the CART contingent along with the prospect of reunification until the date for the engine stability clause hit...then pulled the rug out from everybody.

That's what sounds familiar from 7G. While TG (not me TG) was pigheaded and other unflattering terms, I don't think he was all that stupid or he couldn't have made the split stick. :flaming::flaming: