PDA

View Full Version : Who wrecked the NSX?

Turn7
07-09-03, 02:31 PM
Remember a couple of years ago at Michigan or maybe Fontana an Atlantics driver was hot footing the NSX around with a high level Japanesse exec on board and stuffed it in a wall? Both were banged up pretty good.

What was his name?

Sean O'Gorman
07-09-03, 02:33 PM
Andrew Bordin

rabbit
07-09-03, 02:41 PM
Funny you should mention that because I was just thinking about Bordin yesterday. What a shame that was. We missed out on watching that kid drive a Champ Car. He was darn fast in Atlantics.

Turn7
07-09-03, 02:47 PM
That is who I thought it was.

I saw his name in the AIM Autosports website where he was the sub for Taws while she was out and he recorded the win at the Canadian GP weekend for the FF1600's.

I had thought that he was not supposed to race again due to a broken neck or back that if he wrecked again he would be paralyzed. Apparently he is trying to make a come back of sorts.

http://www.aimautosport.com/Content/news/stories/157.htm

RichK
07-09-03, 02:51 PM
We were there that day, and I was watching the NSX lap much much faster than the other pace cars. He was flying! It didn't look like that big of a hit, but then it was a road car, not a racecar.

JT265
07-09-03, 03:48 PM
The rear suspension broke, and they hit a ton, but we aren't supposed to know that the car failed, however. Andrew has an all-clear from Dr. Trammel to race, but a lot of team owners overlooked him after that deal, politics and all. Sad, really, Andrew is a good shoe.

rabbit
07-09-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by JT265
The rear suspension broke, and they hit a ton, but we aren't supposed to know that the car failed, however.
JT, where did you hear this? And why would they not what people to know? Negative pr for Honda/Acura?

Andrew has an all-clear from Dr. Trammel to race, but a lot of team owners overlooked him after that deal, politics and all. Sad, really, Andrew is a good shoe.
Again, not doubting you, but where did you hear this? I was under the impression he was told he couldn't race anymore. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see him make a comeback. :thumbup:

JT265
07-09-03, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
JT, where did you hear this? And why would they not what people to know? Negative pr for Honda/Acura?

from Andrew and his partners. And at the time, it was REALLY bad PR for Honda. Also, the Japanese exec from, IIRC, Pioneer, was banged up really bad, yet that was sorta kept quiet as well.

Again, not doubting you, but where did you hear this? I was under the impression he was told he couldn't race anymore. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see him make a comeback. :thumbup:

again, from the horse's mouth. He underwent two surgeries on his neck, the outcome of the 2nd one was that Terry gave him the okay to race, with the proviso that another injury would be devastating.

JoeBob
07-09-03, 05:16 PM
I remember Bordin saying that his injury was worse because as the car was heading backwards towards the wall, he turned his head to make sure his passenger was bracing for an impact. The Pioneer Exec suffered a fractured skull, IIRC.

I can see sponsors and teams not being interested in him after that. CART has been giving pace car rides for a long time, and I that is the only instance I can think of a car crashing during those rides. (The Toyota Matrix Pace Car did blow its engine at Road America last year, but thats a whole other issue.)

JT265
07-09-03, 11:59 PM
You're right JoeBob, but in Andrew's defense, he was still bedding in the tires and entered 1 about 40MPH slower than he would have been doing with hot tires.