PDA

View Full Version : Future Forum Software

nrc
01-26-21, 04:58 AM
It's time to ask again whether anyone has experienced other forum software that they find simple and enjoyable to use. Preferably something reasonably current. By most accounts the latest version of vBulletin is bad.

I'm not in a rush to move Off Camber to something new but our current version is no longer being updated. Neither are some of the components it requires. This is no big deal as long as no serious vulnerabilities crop up. But the longer we wait the more complicated migration becomes as the gap between supported versions grows.

I'll probably look to migrate late in the year, so if you see something worth investigating, please drop a note here.

nissan gtp
01-26-21, 11:47 AM
I'm on a small forum that uses Boardhost. It's VERY basic, but works well.

It's free with ads. Fees are $84 for 6 months, which gives you:

Removal of all banner and popup advertising
Removal of all Boardhost branding
Ability to establish private forums, restricted from public view
Help support future upgrades to our service

SteveH
01-26-21, 12:41 PM
https://xenforo.com/

TravelGal
01-26-21, 02:17 PM
I'm on a small forum that uses Boardhost. It's VERY basic, but works well.

It's free with ads. Fees are $84 for 6 months, which gives you:

Removal of all banner and popup advertising
Removal of all Boardhost branding
Ability to establish private forums, restricted from public view
Help support future upgrades to our service

I'm in to contribute if there are costs involved in getting a reasonably good service.

nissan gtp
01-26-21, 02:41 PM
https://xenforo.com/

yeah, but does cut/paste format correctly? :rofl:

WickerBill
01-28-21, 05:03 PM
Do more "modern" boards allow drag and drop images?

I'm on a couple using newer versions of vBulletin, and although they're uglier (big spacing to try to accommodate touch screens), I haven't had any usability issues.

devilmaster
01-29-21, 07:00 PM
nothing to offer but a question:

Would a new software suite allow migration of old posts?

nrc
01-29-21, 07:31 PM
The two "modern" forums I'm on (Invision and Xenforo) both have drag and drop so that seems to be a thing.

Most of the major options have migration tools from vB. I won't consider moving without a decent migration of content.

nrc
05-14-21, 05:43 PM
Note to self: Kamatera seems like a good candidate for replacing AWS hosting a future forum server. Carry on.