PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne probably postponed again.

cameraman
01-04-21, 11:31 PM
Not more than a day or two after releasing the schedule it looks like the first race in Melbourne will have to be postponed. The government is requiring a two week quarantine of all participants in the tennis tournament at happening at the same time. If F1 is held to the same requirements the race will end up being postponed. :cry:

opinionated ow
01-05-21, 06:50 AM
Not more than a day or two after releasing the schedule it looks like the first race in Melbourne will have to be postponed. The government is requiring a two week quarantine of all participants in the tennis tournament at happening at the same time. If F1 is held to the same requirements the race will end up being postponed. :cry:

If it happens I will be surprised. Currently Australian citizens aren't even allowed to come and go freely. You can't leave the country unless some bureaucrat gives permission. Some state governments have event prevented people from being able to enter their state to return to the person's homes! Getting in to the country is even worse because state governments are deliberately limiting the number of people that can come in a week. Melbourne's horrific 111 day lockdown came because the Victorian state government heavily mismanaged their quarantine process. The fact that the Australian Open is still supposed to be going ahead is frankly amazing.

That famous Australian spirit of mateship doesn't exist any longer. The attitude to those Australians stuck overseas from a large percentage of our population is bugger you. It's genuinely sad.

pfc_m_drake
01-05-21, 08:34 PM
If it happens I will be surprised. Currently Australian citizens aren't even allowed to come and go freely. You can't leave the country unless some bureaucrat gives permission. Some state governments have event prevented people from being able to enter their state to return to the person's homes! Getting in to the country is even worse because state governments are deliberately limiting the number of people that can come in a week. Melbourne's horrific 111 day lockdown came because the Victorian state government heavily mismanaged their quarantine process. The fact that the Australian Open is still supposed to be going ahead is frankly amazing.

That famous Australian spirit of mateship doesn't exist any longer. The attitude to those Australians stuck overseas from a large percentage of our population is bugger you. It's genuinely sad.I have to confess - some of the stuff I hear coming out of Australia regarding the lockdowns make me question whether it's even a free country. You'll counter by saying the same of the US, and I'll take the point.

Back on topic - it's sad because I understand that F1 was willing to do an Abu Dhabi-style 'isolation bubble' setup, and still it wasn't good enough for the Australian Government. Too bad - hopefully it gets rescheduled for later in the year.

opinionated ow
01-06-21, 05:57 AM
I have to confess - some of the stuff I hear coming out of Australia regarding the lockdowns make me question whether it's even a free country. You'll counter by saying the same of the US, and I'll take the point.

Back on topic - it's sad because I understand that F1 was willing to do an Abu Dhabi-style 'isolation bubble' setup, and still it wasn't good enough for the Australian Government. Too bad - hopefully it gets rescheduled for later in the year.

Depending on the state there has been such varied responses. WA ignored the constitution and literally locked people out. Victoria locked people in their houses (even with curfews for goodness sake) for 111 days and only allowed them out for a maximum of 2 hours a day. Even elected officials were prevented for a time from going to their offices! I could go on but I am soooooooo angry about so much of it.

To be honest, with 50 different jurisdictions doing their own thing (and sometimes counties within states as well making it more than 50) it's no surprise to me anything that has happened in your neck of the woods because I've seen what 8 can do on a similarly sized landmass! And just to put it in perspective, there haven't even been 5000 total case in NSW (the most populous state) since the pandemic began.

Anyway enough of that; long and short of it is I will be genuinely amazed if it happens. I still don't expect any international events to happen in Australia given Australian athletes can't easily travel within Australia.

nissan gtp
01-06-21, 08:53 AM
The whole country of Australia has far fewer cases than Virginia. I’d say they should keep doing what they are doing.

datachicane
01-10-21, 01:09 AM
The whole country of Australia has far fewer cases than Virginia. I’d say they should keep doing what they are doing.

Got that straight. :thumbup: