PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain GP - under the lights race chat

devilmaster
11-28-20, 09:04 PM
Sunday Morning! Sometime in the morning. Check and double check, it should be 9 am eastern, 6 am pacific. (they've been wrong since daylight savings ended)

Video Chat call with jitsi (a freeware zoom clone)

https://meet.jit.si/offcamberdotnet

pfc_m_drake
11-29-20, 10:20 AM
Riding my stationary bike. Give me 5 minutes to grab my headset.
Looks like we're uner re for a bit. Though we just saw te end of RoGro :eek:

devilmaster
11-29-20, 10:44 AM
HALOS WORK. End of story.

devilmaster
11-29-20, 10:45 AM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1333058272815947777

devilmaster
11-29-20, 10:53 AM
tweet deleted.

Pilgrims Drop
11-29-20, 10:58 AM
Video deleted

devilmaster
11-29-20, 11:13 AM

devilmaster
11-29-20, 11:30 AM
Apparently most counts are 27 seconds from impact till he was away from the flames and crash.

And according to Peter Dumbreck on twitter, 53 g's.

devilmaster
11-29-20, 02:15 PM
So...

Halos are worth it.
Armco still is not the right barrier.
Safety workers should not be running across the track, regardless if it helped.
As much as motorsport has learned, it needs to make sure it doesn't get complacent - these were incidents that were repeats of past tragedy. Need to do better.

pfc_m_drake
11-29-20, 04:33 PM
So...

Halos are worth it.
Armco still is not the right barrier.
Safety workers should not be running across the track, regardless if it helped.
As much as motorsport has learned, it needs to make sure it doesn't get complacent - these were incidents that were repeats of past tragedy. Need to do better.Agreed.

I'm actually surprised that on a purpose-built 'stadium' type circuit in 2020 that they're using Armco barriers with no tires or other energy-absorption type devices in front of the Armco. Luckily they got away with it...this time.

Nice seeing all you guys again this morning!

Mary
11-29-20, 05:04 PM
Frightening accident. I had a doctors appointment for a routine test this morning. I saw the start of the race and the accident, but had to leave. When I got home at 10:30 am (EST) they were just starting the formation lap for the restart. That was the scariest accident I've seen in F1 in a while. I don't know that the cement blocks they used as a temporary repair to the area are any better than Armco, but no one hit them and I don't suppose they had any choice. I hope they can replace both by next season (I'm aware they're having another race there next week). After the restart crash, I had a hard time really watching this race. I guess I'm getting old. Very glad the halo was there and that Grosjean wasn't not seriously injured.

SteveH
11-29-20, 05:10 PM
https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333141226946768898?s=20

pfc_m_drake
11-29-20, 05:23 PM
Amazed to see him doing that well in the hospital! :thumbup:

Hard Driver
11-29-20, 08:57 PM
https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333141226946768898?s=20

Thanks for the link.

Halo did save his life. Hard to believe the armco just punctured like that. They need a safer barrier there.

G.
11-29-20, 08:59 PM
Did I see that right?

The monocoque broke through STEEL(?) Armco and he got out on the other side of the barrier?

There looked like a cartoon version of a car-shaped hole through the barrier.

JoeBob
11-29-20, 10:23 PM
That is what struck me. He went THROUGH the wall. At least it hopefully slowed him down.

I don’t want to think about what that crash looks like without the halo.

Or if the same crash happens with the concrete in its place.

Yikes.

SteveH
11-30-20, 12:20 AM
How many Gs did he experience? Full stop in like right now.

There were so many potential serious injuries for him to experience that it is a miracle of several magnitudes that he only has burnt hands.

devilmaster
11-30-20, 01:36 AM
How many Gs did he experience? Full stop in like right now.

There were so many potential serious injuries for him to experience that it is a miracle of several magnitudes that he only has burnt hands.

Peter Dumbreck said 53g's. I saw somewhere else that he was still in the 120-130 mph range on impact.

opinionated ow
11-30-20, 05:58 AM
That is what struck me. He went THROUGH the wall. At least it hopefully slowed him down.

I don’t want to think about what that crash looks like without the halo.

Or if the same crash happens with the concrete in its place.

Yikes.

I think the same accident with concrete is much less dramatic. The speed wasn't exceptionally high and the angle of impact really wasn't anything outside of what you would see at Indianapolis for instance. The problem as I see it was the separation of the barrier. That's the bit that likely could have killed him more than the g-forces.

WickerBill
11-30-20, 10:41 AM
Did the batteries contribute to the fire?

Obviously on a permanent circuit, there's just no place for Armco. JoeBob is right - it's amazing that he punched THROUGH the barrier and hopped out on the other side. What if he was traveling 15mph slower and ended up smack in the middle? I assume he couldn't have gotten out?

I'm no engineer, but I'd also think (on permanent circuits) that there has to be a better option than a wall angled to catch an errant car "square".

SteveH
11-30-20, 11:20 AM
Peter Dumbreck said 53g's. I saw somewhere else that he was still in the 120-130 mph range on impact.

Whoa. 53 and to not experience anything major. I'm sure he's very sore this morning but that's a small price to pay for that hit.

devilmaster
11-30-20, 01:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdyKr1WzmEg

28 Seconds to Live - How Did You Survive This?

Pietro Fittipaldi replaces Romain for this weekend's race.

SteveH
11-30-20, 03:00 PM
https://twitter.com/karunchandhok/status/1333377607451238400?s=20

devilmaster
12-01-20, 03:00 PM
Marion Grosjean's statement in full:

"Obviously, I didn't sleep last night.

"To be honest, I don't really know what to write. I just know that it's good to do it. It has always helped me.

"Anyway, this morning, I'm not going to lie, the words aren't coming easily. That will make him laugh, he who knows how much I like to talk. He to whom I always write so much.

"And then I didn't know what photo to post either. Which image to keep from yesterday? The flames? Him, held by the arms by his saviours? The wreckage of the car?

"I've chosen this one, a bit stupidly. Because we're both wearing the same T-shirt of his GP2 title. The one I still sleep in sometimes. I would have preferred if it to have the word 'superhero' on it rather than 'champion', but if we have to, we'll have it custom-made. For the children, because that's how we explained the inexplicable.

On Twitter, late [last night], I used useful words, urgent words, to protect them above all. I mentioned the 'shield of love' that protected him. Today, I have to find other expressions, come up with other rational phrases, to express the feelings. We will find them together.

"Expressions of gratitude, for the men of the Medical Car.

"Expressions of friendship, for Jean Todt and his unfailing humanity.

"Expressions of thanks for you all, who have shown your support, your affection, your kindness which is so precious to us.

Thank you to the family of Jules Bianchi; to his father Philippe, who I think of constantly. To Jules himself. To Kevin Magnussen for his words. To the team at Canal+ for their sensitivity. I will forget some people, excuse me.

"Thank you to our children, who pushed him to pull himself out of the fire. Thank you to his courage, his determination, his strength, his love, his physical training that probably kept him alive (Kim, Dan, love you guys). It didn't take one miracle but several yesterday. I embrace you all."