PDA

View Full Version : what da hell? Nascar submits plan to turn fontana into a high bank 1/2 mile oval...

devilmaster
09-08-20, 12:57 PM
And its not april 1st.

https://theathletic.com/2046728/2020/09/08/nascar-submits-plan-to-convert-auto-club-speedway-into-half-mile-short-track/

NASCAR submitted site plans to San Bernardino County on Tuesday, laying out a proposal that will involve remodeling much of the existing infrastructure while also reducing the size of the property’s footprint to free up land for other uses or an eventual sale. According to the plan, which is being called “Next Gen in California,” the track would have long straightaways like Martinsville Speedway but high-banked corners like Bristol Motor Speedway.

devilmaster
09-08-20, 01:34 PM

pfc_m_drake
09-08-20, 06:56 PM
Really sucks.
But, if we're honest, it's more of an indication that land is extremely valuable in Southern California than anything else.

And to think they filmed the closing scenes of Terminator 2 at the San Bernardino County Steel Mill across the street from Fontana.
And the opening post-apocalyptic scene in T2 was filmed on what is now Auto Club Speedway at Fontana!

Still sucks to lose that track (and I say that recognizing it's unfortunate past in open-wheel racing)

nrc
09-08-20, 07:49 PM
Return of the Chicago paperclip! It will be interesting to see how much of this is California land value and how much is just the end of super-speedways as a viable venue.

TravelGal
09-08-20, 09:44 PM
Return of the Chicago paperclip! It will be interesting to see how much of this is California land value and how much is just the end of super-speedways as a viable venue.

Agreed. The track is practically already lost, it's in such poor condition, IIRC. There is nothing to recommend its location either. You think you're coming to LA but you're miles away. You're not even in pretty boonies, you're in outlet/mega mall land. Ugh. Hated driving there the years TravelGuy and I went.

Hard Driver
09-16-20, 03:57 PM
Personally don't like the super speedways. Good for NASCAR races maybe, but Indycars should flatter ovals. Foot to the floor restrictor plate racing, even if there aren't restrictor plates anymore. So I am glad it is off the schedule. Greg Moore dying there also seems to be more track related that most driver deaths.

devilmaster
02-26-23, 01:24 PM
Final weekend for fontana as it currently stands.

not really caring but it is constantly coming up on my feeds as the final laps..

opinionated ow
02-27-23, 05:49 AM
Final weekend for fontana as it currently stands.

not really caring but it is constantly coming up on my feeds as the final laps..

Apparently it sold out. The track has produced good racing for years. It's a bloody shame but rumours I read suggested that the land is worth so much that it will make the purchase of ISC by NASCAR a financially very sound decision (that's assuming they sell the whole thing which is what this rumour said has happened).

If they wanted a decent short track in CA they could run at Irwindale or Kern County mid-week and have the big race on the weekend

pfc_m_drake
02-28-23, 11:26 AM
Still hoping against all hope that they change their mind and leave it alone...

SteveH
03-02-23, 11:04 AM
Ross Perot Jr. pays $544M for Fontana development site (https://therealdeal.com/la/2023/02/28/ross-perot-jr-pays-544m-for-fontana-development-site/)

nrc
03-03-23, 12:41 AM
So NASCAR still held onto 90 acres "to potentially build a half-mile track."

Still surprised that they would go so small.

devilmaster
03-03-23, 12:09 PM
So NASCAR still held onto 90 acres "to potentially build a half-mile track."

Still surprised that they would go so small.

half a billion dollars, and I bet if its 'potential', then i'm sure there's a bit more money to be had.

Here's a thought, its kinda agreed penske bought indy for 300-350 million. They could turn and burn that into a profit for Roger I bet. Sell Roger's old track for Roger's new track? :confused:

pfc_m_drake
03-03-23, 01:34 PM
Ross Perot Jr. pays $544M for Fontana development site (https://therealdeal.com/la/2023/02/28/ross-perot-jr-pays-544m-for-fontana-development-site/)

Wel, tat's that. So long to the California Speedway a Fontana (which is how I'll forever remembe it)

TravelGal
03-04-23, 03:22 PM
Well, tat's that. So long to the California Speedway a Fontana (which is how I'll forever remember it)

Me too, PFC, me too. Zanardi, Vasser, the golden era for me. I stopped going the year Greg died (:cry:) but I'll always miss the place.

SteveH
03-04-23, 05:53 PM
I had tickets to the last Champ Car race there. Was staying in Vegas and would have driven in (long day). But the fires cancelled the race so we went hiking at Zion National Park.