PDA

View Full Version : Football Pool20

Pages : [1] 2

Dvdb
09-07-20, 10:01 AM
I have very little enthusiasm for the NFL, but tradition dictates the OffCamber football pool. Maybe we can bring a little fun to the monotony?

New name, same Poolhost, same rules, and same password (Zanardi).

Good luck

nrc
09-08-20, 06:18 PM
I'm in. Given the lack of a preseason I used a highly scientific method to select my teams for this first game.

Trying and failing not to set my expectations too high for Burrow.

TravelGal
09-08-20, 09:54 PM
Oh gosh. I'll have to look for my broom (to sweep the floor). The only thing I know about NFL football this year is that THE stadium is ready but not for fans. :(

Dvdb
09-11-20, 07:03 PM
Oh gosh. I'll have to look for my broom (to sweep the floor). The only thing I know about NFL football this year is that THE stadium is ready but not for fans. :(

Stadium looks gorgeous, but the owner is a first-class a-hole. Someday I’ll tell the story of how my dad was involved in recruiting Kroenke to buy a share of the Rams.

SteveH
09-11-20, 08:27 PM
Stadium looks gorgeous, but the owner is a first-class a-hole. Someday I’ll tell the story of how my dad was involved in recruiting Kroenke to buy a share of the Rams.

Today’s a good day. :gomer:

TravelGal
09-12-20, 12:45 PM

I'd be interested to hear that. My nephew worked for him at AEG so we can compare notes.

Dvdb
09-12-20, 08:15 PM
Ok, as I await the start of the Cardinals-Reds game......

In a previous lifetime, my dad was the Chief Loan officer of a large St. Louis based bank. Knew the players and they knew him.

When St. Louis was trying to bring the Rams to St. Louis, there were various deals that fell apart. Lack of money, competing factions, etc. My Dad was in his boss’s office one morning, brainstorming and trying to come up with some names with money. Brewery had no interest, Enterprise family had no interest in sports ownership, etc.They had pretty much exhausted all ideas when Dad’s right hand man, whose chief job was to know and develop relationships. GC literally had walls of notebooks of info on people, companies, and other banks which was key when banks were buying each other in a quest to expand.

Anyway, GC happened to walk by the office and Dad called to him. “Who do you know who has a lot of money and may want to buy into the Rams?” Without a beat, “Stan Kroenke”, which brought the next question....”Who the hell is Stan Kroenke?” GC explained he married a Walton (Wal-Mart) and made his own money developing Wal-mart properties.

Calls and introductions were made, and Stan cut a check with the express proviso that he had the right of first refusal if/when Georgia Frontierre sold he majority shares.

Flash forward a few years, Georgia dies and her kids need to sell to pay the estate taxes. They sign a letter of agreement with the current Jacksonville Jags owner, whose name escapes me at the moment. He is a “local” guy from Champaign Illinois and wants to keep the Rams here.

And Kroenke steps in, after all the negotiations are done, and says he will exercise his right of refusal. So for maybe another $150 million, he becomes the sole owner of the Rams.

So, he blows up the team, denies having his eye on moving and encourages the city to build him a new stadium or spend millions on improvements for the current stadium. City spends time and a millions on stadium redesign....nope.
Spend more money on land acquisition and engineering/design for a new stadium on the river. Nope.

Word gets out in the meantime that Kroenke has assembled land in LA....”I am a developer, that is what I do”, again denying he wants to move the team. NFL gets involved in the dog and pony show, setting benchmarks for St. Louis to keep the team. Long story short (not possible now, it is a long story), despite the NFL’s own rules about relocation, and the help of Jerry Jones, who has the contract to sell hot dogs, beer, popcorn, etc at the new stadium, Kroenke got his wish.

Good news is St. Louis is suing the hell out of him, his Rams management team, the individual NFL team owners, and the NFL itself. Case is now in discovery, where all the owners have had their phones and emails subpoenaed, and told to expect to be called as witnesses.

And that is the story of how my dad and his boss brought Kroenke to the NFL.

The end.

SteveH
09-12-20, 08:25 PM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. And it’s not over, yet. Gentlemen, start your lawyers.

WickerBill
09-14-20, 08:05 AM
Shad Khan? Wow, had zero idea he was involved in all of that.

Best mustache in the business.

TravelGal
09-14-20, 12:47 PM
I hadn't heard the details but knew the basics of it from this end. There was never any doubt Kroenke was moving the Rams back to LA and that the NFL bigwigs would go along with it. Kroenke was building the new stadium on the bones of Hollywood Park ages before the deal was approved by the owners. They didn't give a fig about where the Rams were. They wanted that stadium.

TravelGal
09-14-20, 12:50 PM
Oh and good work everyone. We're all in a tie for first as we head into Monday night! I must remember to take a screen shot. LOL.

nrc
09-14-20, 01:05 PM
I keep thinking that people will get wise to this NFL musical chairs thing but it keeps going. If they can get cities fighting over soccer teams the NFL still has a few sweet stadium deals out there.

My picks were looking pretty grim early in the day but things evened out (literally). With no pre-season and all the COVID protocols I expected home field to be a bigger factor.

I hated the fake crowd noise. During the Bengals game it sounded like some electronic satanic ritual was co-opting my TV to open a gateway for a robot demon invasion.

Even in a loss I'm really excited about Joe Burrow. He made a couple of rookie mistakes but to play that well in a rookie start with no preseason and under pressure from the first snap is great. He put them in a position to win at the end and just got a couple of bad breaks. Best of all, Burrow isn't at all satisfied. He gave himself a "D".

Happy to see the Chargers using the light blue but the white jerseys, yellow pants, and blue socks were not a winner.

SteveH
09-14-20, 03:28 PM
I was very impressed with what I saw of Burrow. He didn't look like a rookie at the end of the game. Had command over the offense.

WickerBill
09-15-20, 08:48 AM
Oooh, we're gonna do uni-watch??

Chargers looked like they were playing in pajamas. But the Rams were worse. Practice uniforms, baby! Who thought a single thin yellow stripe on white pants looked really great? Good grief.

Tampa upgraded, but I do wish they'd go back to the original red and pewter of the Mike Alstott days. At least their numbers don't look like a 1960s alarm clock anymore.

Broncos wore their blue alternates against..... a team whose primary color is blue. So. Dumb.

TravelGal
09-15-20, 11:57 AM
I'm thoroughly amused that the quality of play was such at that, except for Burrows, all we can talk about the is sartorial lack of splendor. :laugh::laugh: All I saw of Burrows was his interview (not the game) and agree that he is out there to WIN and damn the rookie ****. Alas, I knew the GMen would be mincemeat but, at least for the first game of the "season" I had to take one for GManFan.

Given that he were and I am diehard Padres fans, like this weekend, the rest of the foosball season until the Pads are out of it will be 100 Ouija board for me. Fun to play though!

Dvdb
09-17-20, 01:18 PM
Shad Khan? Wow, had zero idea he was involved in all of that.

Best mustache in the business.

Yep, Shad Khan. He started a bumper business in Illinois. I believe he is an Illini alum, too.

Dvdb
09-17-20, 01:20 PM
Thursday reminder.....picks!

TravelGal
09-21-20, 11:11 AM
Holy Herbert! 5 minutes' notice to start his first NFL game and nearly beats Mahomes. Edit: Today's paper says he was told *after the coin toss.* That was the most entertaining game in ages. Not just this year. :laugh::laugh: Some rookie mistakes on both sides but action-packed.

Congrats to the commish on the picks. Maybe now you'll believe in da Rams. :)

Dvdb
09-24-20, 10:56 AM
Thursday bump.....picks please!

WickerBill
09-28-20, 01:45 PM
Cincinnati and Atlanta need some defense. Cincinnati has found their QB, that's for certain. I'd take him in a heartbeat over every QB he's played against this season.

I'd like to have a word with whoever is scheduling injuries this year - they hovered over Colorado way too long.

nrc
09-28-20, 06:08 PM
Cincinnati and Atlanta need some defense. Cincinnati has found their QB, that's for certain. I'd take him in a heartbeat over every QB he's played against this season.

I'd like to have a word with whoever is scheduling injuries this year - they hovered over Colorado way too long.

I know, right? How often do you see a rookie notch a 105 passer rating in a game where they're sacked 8 times and hit 10 more? :eek:

I'm more concerned about the offensive line than the defense. The defense appears to have the talent, they just have a lot of new talent that hasn't to come together. They've been burned by bad plays here and there. If they clean that up they've probably got two wins right now, but it's fixable.

The offensive line is a bigger problem. It's getting Burrow killed and there's no sign that they have the talent or depth to fix it. They've been terrible in both the pass and run. Taylor claims that they're going to get better but so far he doesn't seem to have any answers on protecting Burrow or getting the run game going.

Injuries. Seems like we've hit the rash of "no training camp" injuries that some predicted preseason. It really sucks when injuries derail a season.

WickerBill
09-28-20, 08:52 PM
Broncos have lost all-pro receiver, all-world DE, outstanding RB, two OL, and one DB *for the season*, and starting QB for "weeks". Brutal.

TravelGal
09-29-20, 11:50 AM
Broncos have lost all-pro receiver, all-world DE, outstanding RB, two OL, and one DB *for the season*, and starting QB for "weeks". Brutal.

Brutal is right. I'll be in Denver next weekend so I appreciate the update. As you know, I'm prepping to see the Padres (probably lose but at least I'll see them) in the postseason. Looking at this week's results I realize if I hadn't picked against Mahomes, as we all did, I'd have tied WB for this week! Watching that game, I felt he's good but dang, his receivers are exceptional.

WickerBill
09-29-20, 01:34 PM
I made my pick based on KC's defense, but was mistaken. I also am being ridiculous and (subconsciously) still factoring in home field. Obviously with 1000 people there, it didn't come in to play at all.

nrc
09-30-20, 11:14 PM
I'm hoping for his sake that Mike Zimmer can get the Vikings sorted out. But if it doesn't work out I'd take him back as a DC for Cincinnati in a second.

Dvdb
10-01-20, 01:43 PM
Thursday.....make your picks!

Dvdb
10-08-20, 10:35 AM
Pick ‘em, please.

TravelGal
10-08-20, 06:15 PM
Last week I broke the unwritten rule of pick 'ems: NEVER, but never, change a pick. I chose Philadelphia. Then I did a little reading and decided that was really not sensible so I went back and CHANGED it to SF after I'd saved my picks. I coulda been a contenda.

nrc
10-11-20, 05:24 PM
Rats. I thought I had my picks in this week. Ah well, plenty of time for an epic comeback!

The Bengals are going to get Joe Burrow killed this season. I'd rather see them hand off three times and gain three yards than keep getting this kid destroyed.

Sadly, AJ Green seems to be done. I don't know if he's still hurt and he's just playing decoy but there were plays where he seemed completely lost today.

Dvdb
10-11-20, 08:21 PM
Rats. I thought I had my picks in this week. Ah well, plenty of time for an epic comeback!

The Bengals are going to get Joe Burrow killed this season. I'd rather see them hand off three times and gain three yards than keep getting this kid destroyed.

Sadly, AJ Green seems to be done. I don't know if he's still hurt and he's just playing decoy but there were plays where he seemed completely lost today.

Was there a glitch, or did you forget?

nrc
10-12-20, 12:44 AM
Was there a glitch, or did you forget?

I think I just got caught in the COVID time warp and was remembering my picks from last week as my picks for this week. :o

WickerBill
10-12-20, 07:18 AM
Green looks hurt to me.

TravelGal
10-12-20, 12:12 PM
I think I just got caught in the COVID time warp and was remembering my picks from last week as my picks for this week. :o

Don't worry boss. In a one week or two at most, you'll pass me so you won't be be last for long. Sigh.

Dvdb
10-15-20, 01:30 PM
Let’s try this again......make your picks for week 6!!

nrc
10-17-20, 04:16 PM
Almost did it again. I went through my tabs and found an submitted picks page. That's probably what happened last time. :gomer:

Dvdb
10-22-20, 02:56 PM
Pick em, please.

And then submit them, boss!

nrc
10-23-20, 02:09 AM
I'm in! You're up, TravelGal. Another good week and you can get back in it.

TravelGal
10-23-20, 02:27 PM
I'm in! You're up, TravelGal. Another good week and you can get back in it.

Even a blind squirrel.... Last week I could have done even better if my cousin's son, who lives in Denver, hadn't pounded into my head that the Broncos were a lost cause. :mad: Making picks today but watching the World Series. :D

TravelGal
10-27-20, 12:40 PM
ARG!!! Both LA teams won and I picked the opponent. That's what I get for reading the newspapers whining and whimpering about all those turrrrible injuries. Patooey. I'm glad Herbert finally got a win though. He deserved more than he's been getting. :thumbup:

Ankf00
10-29-20, 01:04 AM
Cowboys.

Almost makes 2020 worth it. Almost.

Dvdb
10-29-20, 12:24 PM
Thursday bump!

nrc
10-30-20, 06:50 PM
Cowboys.

Almost makes 2020 worth it. Almost.

Come on, Ank. You know you wanna see Andy Dalton take them to the Super Bowl. :gomer:

nrc
11-02-20, 02:27 AM
Another great game from Burrow today. Bye week and then the Steelers. :yuck: The Bengals cobbled up an offensive line with duck tape and bailing wire. They did well against the Titans, but I don't think they have the talent necessary to hold back a Steeler onslaught.

But the Bengals are probably right where they need to be. Learn to win some games, put a streak together at the end of the year and look to fix some of the weak links for next season.

TravelGal
11-02-20, 04:54 PM
I was planning for upsets, just not THOSE upsets. Sigh. Tough to cheer the locals. :(

Dvdb
11-05-20, 11:54 AM
It’s Thursday......

Dvdb
11-12-20, 05:45 PM
Picks, Travelgal!!

TravelGal
11-13-20, 06:55 PM
Picks, Travelgal!!

I seem to have fallen into the habit of doing it about 9:30 AM after my Friday morning zoom business meeting.

I picked some dillies this week! I had to to; it makes me nervous not being last, even if the reason is that nrc missed a week. :gomer:

nrc
11-15-20, 04:19 PM
I just want to say right now that I have no idea how I picked the Jags over the Packers. That was not me trying to be clever and pick a big upset that was just clicking the wrong dang thing. :shakehead:

TravelGal
11-16-20, 12:05 PM
I just want to say right now that I have no idea how I picked the Jags over the Packers. That was not me trying to be clever and pick a big upset that was just clicking the wrong dang thing. :shakehead:

I hear ya. I did the same thing with Miami. Only they won. LOL LOL. Funny part (not! :mad:) is that most of what I thought were upsets actually won and two I thought were right lost. Only by 3 points in each of those two games but a loss is a loss. :(

Dvdb
11-19-20, 11:41 AM
You guys.....you guys......YOU GUYS.....Travelgal.....TRAVELGAL......get your picks in!!

TravelGal
11-20-20, 01:58 PM
Remember my time zone. It's not yet 10 AM here. I'm workin on it but what's WickerBill's excuse? Is he trying to give the rest of us a chance to catch him? :confused:

nrc
11-22-20, 05:46 PM
Who could have imagined that Joe Burrow would end up with a season ending injury. In truth, it's a miracle that he lasted this long and I pray that he's not ruined. :cry::mad::flaming::shakehead:

Worse, I just opted in for two more games this season just to see that kid play. :irked:

TravelGal
11-22-20, 06:12 PM
Who could have imagined that Joe Burrow would end up with a season ending injury. In truth, it's a miracle that he lasted this long and I pray that he's not ruined. :cry::mad::flaming::shakehead:

Worse, I just opted in for two more games this season just to see that kid play. :irked:

Poor kid never stood a chance, did he? :cry:

Dvdb
11-25-20, 02:08 PM
Week 12.....a chance to recover from last week’s brutality......get your picks in before you get your turkey in!

WickerBill
11-29-20, 09:10 AM
Step 1: Carry four quarterbacks for some unknown reason, wasting roster spots.
Step 2: play the Saints, potentially the best team in the NFL.
Step 3: Put all four quarterbacks in a room together
Step 4: Get all four quarterbacks ruled COVID ineligible 24 hours before the Saints game
Step 5: Lose by 50?

My Broncos, everyone!

nrc
11-30-20, 06:09 PM
Step 4: Get all four quarterbacks ruled COVID ineligible 24 hours before the Saints game

My Broncos, everyone!

Has Elway gone senile? I heard they were blaming the QB snafu on the QBs breaking the rules. Snuck into the facility, I guess. :rolleyes: I also heard they tried to get the NFL to let them play an offensive assistant at QB.

At this point with the Bengals I'm on the "Deja Vu All Over Again," we're right back in the '90s with Dave Shula bandwagon. No excuse for such a dismal showing against the Giants team featuring Colt McCoy and Wayne Gallman.

At this point, if they had any sense they'd fire Taylor and Anaroomba, put Darren Simmons (Special Teams) in charge and let Burrow pick his next head coach. But no, a touchdown return and holding the Giants field goals made for a respectable score so they're touting it as a moral victory. :mad:

WickerBill
12-01-20, 10:47 AM
Pretty sure the Bengals want to lose out, now.

Broncos QBs broke protocol while in the QB room. Broncos broke rules of stupidity by not keeping at least one out of the room. YOU HAVE FOUR QUARTERBACKS

On another note, I don't understand why Pittsburgh has to play Monday, but Baltimore gets an extra day which miraculously allows Jackson to play.

devilmaster
12-01-20, 12:29 PM

My Broncos, everyone!

Still woulda beat the Lions.

Dvdb
12-03-20, 02:49 PM
It’s Thursday.....time for a bump. Pick’em

TravelGal
12-03-20, 04:15 PM
I'm IN. Amazing isn't it? :D

nrc
12-03-20, 06:03 PM
It’s Thursday.....time for a bump. Pick’em

How did you end up with a blank for the Steelers/Ravens game last week? Err this week? :confused:

Dvdb
12-10-20, 11:09 AM
How did you end up with a blank for the Steelers/Ravens game last week? Err this week? :confused:

I have no idea....I noticed it that weekend, and thought about making the pick. But I didn’t want it to look unsavory, and figures the game was a pick ‘em and I really wouldn’t lose my position.

I run a clean pool!!

Now make your picks, ya’ll

WickerBill
12-10-20, 12:14 PM
Some really difficult picks this week

TravelGal
12-10-20, 10:54 PM

Oh my. I guess my pool-name will come in handy. I'll get to it Friday morning. Just finished 28 hours of zoom in 3 days. :eek: OTOH, I probably know every update there is to know about Tahiti and Her Islands. :D

TravelGal
12-11-20, 03:36 PM

Now that I've looked at it, I completely agree. Too many battle of the nothings. NRC, calling NRC! Stop with the popcorn and get your picks in!

Dvdb
12-17-20, 10:34 AM
It’s Thursday......bump

TravelGal
12-18-20, 11:11 AM
Four right. FOUR? I think that's the worst week I've ever had. :yuck: On the other hand, it was only sporting to let NRC catch up to me. It wasn't fair for him to be last only because he missed a week. ;) Sooo, I'll have at it again after my Friday morning meeting.

WickerBill
12-20-20, 05:42 PM
Commish..... nrc directly copied my piiiiicks

nrc
12-21-20, 04:00 AM
Commish..... nrc directly copied my piiiiicks

Bwah ha ha! I've Russian hackered your Poolhost account and now all your picks R belong to us!

Coming next week: Everyone wonders why Wickerbill picked the Lions, Jets, and Bengals.

racermike
12-22-20, 05:03 AM
Bwah ha ha! I've Russian hackered your Poolhost account and now all your picks R belong to us!

Coming next week: Everyone wonders why Wickerbill picked the Lions, Jets, and Bengals.

I wonder what a Jets/Bengals parlay bet paid ?

nrc
12-22-20, 05:06 PM
I wonder what a Jets/Bengals parlay bet paid ?

I hope someone made that bet! :D

Dvdb
12-23-20, 07:14 PM
Let’s make our Christmas weekend picks and then whoop it up.....Picks, please!!

TravelGal
12-25-20, 02:04 PM
What's the first thing I think of on Christmas morning? Ack! It's Friday and I haven't made my picks! :laugh::laugh: Happy weekend, all. I'm off to watch the Polar Express. :D

TravelGal
12-27-20, 01:03 PM
Spoiler alert:

It's not so much that the Raiders lost but how they did it. Had to be the stupidest play call since the day Seattle lost the Super Bowl. :rolleyes: :shakehead::shakehead:

WickerBill
12-27-20, 02:33 PM
Spoiler alert:

It's not so much that the Raiders lost but how they did it. Had to be the stupidest play call since the day Seattle lost the Super Bowl. :rolleyes: :shakehead::shakehead:

As a lifelong Broncos fan... hee hee hee! It's better than watching them get blown out.

nrc
12-27-20, 07:41 PM
Stupid Colts. I almost picked the Bengals for my upset instead. :irked:

WickerBill
12-27-20, 08:49 PM
Stupid Colts. I almost picked the Bengals for my upset instead. :irked:

Colts were favorites. ;)

nrc
12-28-20, 05:59 PM
Colts were favorites. ;)

The OC pool appears to have been unimpressed. :D

Dvdb
01-07-21, 11:13 AM
Season is over, but we have PLAYOFFS, BABY. Pick ‘em.

nrc
01-09-21, 02:27 AM
Wait, this is the playoffs? Pick-em page looks like a regular season weekend. I'm pretty sure the Bengals could have made it in as the tenth seed if Burrow had stayed healthy.

TravelGal
01-12-21, 06:39 PM
Brady vs Brees. I've got the popcorn ready to pop. :eek:

nrc
01-13-21, 12:44 PM
I wasn't high on Chase Young in the draft because it seemed to me that even though he could be a game-wrecker, he rarely showed up in OSU's big games.

But he's been hyped for ROY and I figure against old man Brady this is the opportunity to live up to the hype in a big game. Zero sacks, zero hits, three tackles. :rolleyes:

nrc
01-16-21, 04:54 PM
Rats. I've had a busy week and forgot that there was still football. If the commish could put me down for Saints, Rams, Ravens and 62pts in the remaining games I'd appreciate it. I'm sure TG doesn't want to beat me in a forfeit. :D

Oh, and Chiefs if you'll allow it. I honestly haven't looked at the score.

~

WickerBill
01-16-21, 04:55 PM
You're a mess. Lol

Chiefs play tomorrow. First game is Rams Packers and it doesn't start for 40 minutes. :D

nrc
01-16-21, 05:19 PM
Ha! I put them in my own damn self. Who's a mess now!? :rofl:

I knew the Browns played at 3PM and since when do they play at 3PM on a Sunday? :saywhat: TG kindly sent me a reminder PM so I figured I was late.

TravelGal
01-16-21, 07:23 PM
HAR HAR. I wouldn't have bothered to PM you if you were late. I want you beat me fair and square. No CHEATING. :laugh:

nrc
01-17-21, 02:11 AM
Well as it turns out my picks blew it today anyway. :D Actually glad to see the Bills win.

WickerBill
01-20-21, 08:25 AM
Hey commish, remind me what the very latest I can put my picks in? Knowing whether Mahomes is going to play or not is kinda important. :shakehead:

nrc
01-20-21, 07:44 PM
If Mahomes can't go I predict that the Chiefs will go with the "Never Punt" strategy.

TravelGal
01-21-21, 04:14 PM
Just made my picks. I think all four teams will win. Could win. But not all will win so I picked the ones I liked the best. Mostly. :\

nrc
01-23-21, 12:20 AM
Mahomes says he's out of concussion protocol. Does that make it official?

WickerBill
01-24-21, 12:28 PM
oPeKydlhsrE

TravelGal
01-25-21, 03:08 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Looks like he emerged from the bat cave in time for the game though. Now the question is whether he (and his toe) have enough for Brady. I have never, ever, seen a team as jubilant as the Bucs were at winning that Championship Game. They will be a force to be reckoned with.

TKGAngel
01-25-21, 09:21 PM
I'm sad to see that this season of Bills football is over, but I think this town would have collectively lost its mind had the team made it to the Super Bowl. It's the 30th anniversary of Norwood going wide right and that game was also played in Tampa.

It also came out today that Cole Beasley played the last three games on a broken fibula. Ouch.

nrc
01-26-21, 02:04 AM
Looks like I've clinched the number one draft pick. Congrats, TG. Wait! Aren't I supposed to get like 30 points for picking the points right in the conference championships? :gomer:

I would have been happy with a Green Bay/Buffalo Super Bowl but once Brady won I started rooting for the Chiefs because the GOAT vs You Phenom story is more interesting. Yeah, Allen could be in there but he's still in that formative stage.

TravelGal
01-26-21, 02:45 PM
Looks like I've clinched the number one draft pick. Congrats, TG. Wait! Aren't I supposed to get like 30 points for picking the points right in the conference championships? :gomer:

I would have been happy with a Green Bay/Buffalo Super Bowl but once Brady won I started rooting for the Chiefs because the GOAT vs You Phenom story is more interesting. Yeah, Allen could be in there but he's still in that formative stage.

If I had realized earlier that you needed to be reminded, you would have beat me by a mile. Nevertheless, I give up the draft pick willingly. I checked the season and see that I won 3 of the weeks and the Division Playoff game week. Problem is, I win small and lose big. It's fun trying to "guess" and, this year especially, kept me more engaged with the outside world.

I also would have been happy with GB/Buffalo but this will be better media fodder. I was never much of a Brady fan, figuring he had the big teams and coaches behind him. What he did this year with that Tampa team was a real shock to me. Nephew worked for the Chiefs for 10 years so I have to root for them but I won't be surprised if the Bucs win. My only problem now is which to pick on Pool Host. :confused:

TravelGal
02-05-21, 01:58 PM
Don't forget to get your picks in. I know the interval between the Championship Game and Super Bowl seemed interminable but it's nearly game time and 50 PERCENT of our peeps have not yet chosen. :eek::eek:

TravelGal
02-08-21, 02:13 PM
Well, I guess I have to gloat about the goat. I've never been a Brady fan and we all know my nephew was the marketing manager for the Kansas City Chiefs for 10 years. Then again, TravelMom lived in Tampa for 50 years. Theoretically, I couldn't lose no matter who won. Yet, I somehow knew the Bucs would win. I made my Pool Host selection 3 days after the Conference Championship games. I almost changed it in the intervening 10 days but I reminded myself that one should *never* change a pick.

It struck me like a game of baseball--some spectacular plays, several errors, and much ho-hum over a very long space of time. Did I miss something? Besides KC shooting themselves in the foot that is. Speaking of foot, I must admit my heart bled for Mahomes as he was visibly limping by the end of the 4th quarter. Combine that with some mighty pretty passes from the old goat and you have the Bucs blowout.

WickerBill
02-08-21, 05:20 PM
Woo, winner!

Hey did I win last year? Am I on a streak?? :)

nrc
02-08-21, 08:49 PM
I picked the Chiefs even though I figured the Buccaneers would win just because I was rooting for them.

The Chiefs offense looked like what I saw from the Bengals until Burrow got his knee destroyed - a great QB running for his life behind a horrible offensive line. It's a shame we didn't get to see them with their starters but Tampa had a pretty sound game plan regardless.

It did seem like the officials were calling the Chiefs for holding/PI on the kind of pass coverage I've been seeing them play all post-season.