PDA

View Full Version : Better router?

TravelGal
09-04-20, 04:04 PM
CNet email says to speed up your wi-fi, get a better router. Specifically Wi-fi 6. Is this true? How much true? :tony:

Mine is provided by Spectrum at the moment. It handles 5G. It was replaced about a year ago. Not sure I should mess with that arrangement. Or, should I asked them if they have a newer one? :confused:

pfc_m_drake
09-04-20, 10:03 PM
We should probably discuss your setup a little bit to see if you'd benefit from a better router.

As I recall, you're kind of on the 'end of the pipe' when it comes to internet in your area Assuming my memory is correct, then something else is likely the bottleneck in your setup (e.g. perhaps your end-of-the-pipe location, or you might have a lower-end plan that's limiting your bandwidth).

A good first step is to confirm what you're supposed to be getting in terms of internet bandwidth (check your bill it's probably on there somewhere).
After that, you can check what you're really getting by going to www.speedtest.net and running their test a couple of times. Compare the speed test values to what's on your bill and then we can see if there's a bottleneck that needs addressed.

nrc
09-05-20, 01:47 AM
To get much benefit from WiFi6 your wireless devices would need to be pretty new - less than a year, probably. Older devices don't support the faster standard.

devilmaster
09-05-20, 05:07 PM
Theres a decent writeup at the verge...

I mean, it is the verge, so don't ask them to build a gaming computer... but hey, decent explanation on wifi6.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/21/18232026/wi-fi-6-speed-explained-router-wifi-how-does-work

so as I read it - if you have 4 tv's all streaming wifi at the same time, with a laptop, couple phones and a tablet all pulling down files... wifi 6 maybe for you. wifi6 is faster than current wifi speeds but its real strength is how it disperses the internet signal to those wireless devices. But like pfc said, faster can be limited by what speeds come into your house.

So if you have a big family with a bunch of teens, and you have a home office and you notice how much more work you would have got done without those meddling kids..... then wifi6 right now might be for you. for everyone else... just wait until it becomes the norm.

TravelGal
09-08-20, 09:48 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: everyone. I'll investigate because I did do the tests recently and was surprised at how slow it was. Obviously don't need the 6 but I do need to check what I'm suppose to be getting.

swift
09-08-20, 11:20 PM
I mean, it is the verge, so don't ask them to build a gaming computer...
:D

devilmaster
09-08-20, 11:55 PM
:D

Swifty gets the joke. Here's your prize, some tweezers.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/resizer/1praWEQLW1Z3bnYEXSiZWW2rMeI=/760x570/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-bonnier.s3.amazonaws.com/public/R7IB5JF7RPDFJIGE74IEHLFI3E.jpg

;)

nrc
09-09-20, 01:31 AM
:laugh:

That's just Voxmedia applying their same level of expertise to technology as the rest of their reporting. And then blaming the negative response on toxic tech bros.

devilmaster
09-09-20, 05:37 PM
:laugh:

That's just Voxmedia applying their same level of expertise to technology as the rest of their reporting. And then blaming the negative response on toxic tech bros.

Hard Driver
09-09-20, 09:05 PM
WIFI speeds should be way faster than cable Internet speeds, unless you have incredible cable or horrible WIFI. So slow speeds are probably the Internet service. You can use an ethernet cable to connect directly to the router and bypass the WIFI to test your true Internet speed.

That said, newer standards are better and signal strength is important. If you have distance issues, get a mesh network solution, like a Netgear Orbi.