PDA

View Full Version : Williams sold to American investment firm

TravelGal
08-21-20, 02:26 PM
From Motorsport Twitter. Love the last two sentences:

While the team remains at the bottom of the F1 constructors’ championship, it has enjoyed an upturn in performance so far this season.

George Russell and Nicholas Latifi have regularly fought with lower-midfield rivals [emphasis added] Haas and Alfa Romeo, marking a significant step forward from the team’s 2019 form.

pfc_m_drake
08-21-20, 05:13 PM
Saw it this afternoon. In many ways I'm sad - because I remember the days when Williams was THE team.
And the article is correct - they have been running better this year, but seemingly too little too late.

So with fond memories of the past, I wish them well in their future endeavors.

WickerBill
08-22-20, 10:22 AM
I didn't read the article(s) - any provisions for keeping Claire in charge? I can't imagine new ownership would approve of her track record. Don't forget, they were scoring podiums, especially on high speed courses, as recently as 2016.

I do envision them becoming the second Renault team at some point.

pfc_m_drake
08-22-20, 07:31 PM
I also didn't read the article, so I can't comment on them keeping Claire in charge.
BUT
I don't think this spells good things for Williams.

They were bought by a financial investment group. Financial Investment Groups typically don't make purchases with the goal of losing money due to their extreme 'love of the game'. I think the best that you can hope for is that they come in, slash-and-burn, sign a couple of sponsors, then sell them off Force India style for a profit.

Worst case scenario is that the financial group has no idea what they've just gotten themselves into (not unlike the Investment Group that was initially interested in purchasing CART for their assets until they were told that purchasing CART would come with the financial liability of operating the series due to penalty clauses associated with non-performance).

We'll see - but I don't think it ends well.

devilmaster
09-03-20, 12:13 PM
Frank and Claire will remove themselves from Williams after the Italian GP.

pfc_m_drake
09-04-20, 09:54 PM
Sad end of an era.
Wish Frank and Claire the best, and wish the team well in the future.

SteveH
09-06-20, 01:21 PM
Frank Williams celebrating his last win, 2012 Spanish Grand Prix

https://i.redd.it/tzi6a1zh73l51.jpg

pfc_m_drake
09-06-20, 04:08 PM
Awesome!

TravelGal
09-14-20, 12:53 PM
I happened to catch the post on Twitter of the Williams transporter passing Bologna with #ForzaAlex in huge letters on the side. A class act all the way to the end. :cry: