PDA

View Full Version : Question: porch pirates packages pooched

devilmaster
08-08-20, 05:06 PM
So unfortunately, I had a couple packages stolen from my front door. I was called out for emergency work to replace a covid quarantined coworker and I tried from my far away location to make sure it didn't happen but a combination of being so out in the bush i didn't have cell service and no real help from my landlord ensured it happened.

First time, so wondering if there is any resolution from insurance or the like.... combined it was about 500 bucks can$ so i'm probably just screwed.

Going forward i'm either getting a po box or canada post has 'flexdelivery' which allows a package to be delivered to a post office without buying a po box. but they will only hold a package for 15 days. Sometimes I'm gone for work longer than that.

anyways, wondering if it unfortunately happened to them and if theres something that can be done.

Thanks in advance

TravelGal
08-08-20, 05:52 PM
Down here in the US, I don't think there is any recourse. If there is a recognizable photo to give the police that might help but even then it's so low on their list of priorities as to not really be there. I live by a high school so I have always had a UPS store mailing address. $25 a month but someone is always there to receive anything and will hold it until I show up. Sorry about your loss but welcome back. Edit: You might check with the senders to see if they have any loss protection insurance.

devilmaster
08-10-20, 01:07 PM
well, a good/bad news post...

I found Calgary Police's online reporting tool. So I posted both packages lost.

As I was sitting out on my patio, kinda stewing, I happened to notice a cardboard box sitting in the parkette across from my townhouse by the garbage. Looked to be the right size for my racing pedals I ordered. Went out to look.

Yep. There's the shipping box, retail box, and manuals. At least I got to rip off the shipping label with my name on it for all the good that'll do.

While I was checking it out, Arozzi emailed a reply to me telling them their package, the chair parts, was stolen. They started a warranty claim so they're sending out another one. So at least there is that.

:irked:

pfc_m_drake
08-10-20, 09:24 PM
I recently invested in an Arlo wireless camera system (I'll tell you about it next time we're in chat). It's a fairly good system, and you might find that even if the cams aren't on, the fear of not knowing is enough to scare off simply porch thrives.

Regarding your stuff that's now gone: I don't know how it works up there, but rigorously here in the US, unless you've signed a waiver card saying that the delivery service can leave your package without you being home, they (the delivery service) is on the hook for it. I've been told it's actually easier/cheaper for the delivery service to pay each and every claim that's filed rather than actually spend the time making repeated delivery attempts - which is why they always leave your package.

BUT

You will probably need to be persistent. And again, that's here in the US.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I recently discovered that the world is full of crappy people, unfortunately.

nrc
08-10-20, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that was my impression - if you haven't agreed somewhere to delivery without a signature the sender is on the hook for it if they leave it. One exception may be deliveries through USPS.

I have a generic doorbell camera that records to my home security system. It's kind of hit and miss on whether it gets an image good enough to identify someone but fortunately we're far enough off the beaten path to be an inconvenient target.

In thinking about being further out in the sticks in the future I've been thinking about some kind of package delivery bin. It seems like even something insecure on your porch to keep the package out of sight would be helpful.

devilmaster
08-11-20, 09:30 AM
thanks for the replies all. There are a few issues complicating Canada I guess...

- Signatures have been stopped for the moment by pretty much all delivery services. They don't want their workers facing customers at all. Its basically drop at door and walk away. This may be changing as we move forward, but I also saw blowback to asking them to take to their office and hold it till I pick up.

- Unfortunately my job which takes me away from home for weeks on end doesn't help either. And I live alone and quietly (my choice) so I don't know my neighbors well enough to ask one to cover me.

I'm chalking it up to a lesson learned, (an expensive one too) that will force me to adapt. I've been thinking about a security system that is diy, and will send sms and emails if the sensors trip... don't want a company monitored system. But the best solution is probably finding a package delivery drop off place that I can send packages to, instead of home.

A drop box at my front door would be nice, but my townhouse door is wedged in with 3 others side by side. There isn't really enough room to place one there.

Although I saw one drop box, can't remember if it was a diy one or not, that had a lifting lid attached to an inside trap door. you lift the lid, which lifts the trap door, you place the package on the trap door, and close the lid which drops the package to the secured bottom.

SteveH
08-11-20, 10:34 AM
If you are ordering from Amazon you might check to see if there is an Amazon Hub Locker in the vicinity. The delivery is made to the locker and remains locked in it until you retrieve it. Even if it’s 30 minutes away, that would be better than having it stolen.

TravelGal
08-12-20, 12:46 AM
If you are ordering from Amazon you might check to see if there is an Amazon Hub Locker in the vicinity. The delivery is made to the locker and remains locked in it until you retrieve it. Even if it’s 30 minutes away, that would be better than having it stolen.

Good reminder. Another suggestion, more efficient and cheaper overall than the bin or the camera for images while you're thousands of miles away is to meet a neighbor. Start with "Damn those porch pirates. Have you had any problems?" You won't need to use their assistance every day or even every week, I'm imagining. Maybe one could be passable but useful acquaintance.

devilmaster
08-12-20, 05:39 PM
meet a neighbor. Start with "Damn those porch pirates. Have you had any problems?" You won't need to use their assistance every day or even every week, I'm imagining. Maybe one could be passable but useful acquaintance.

You missed the part above where i kinda hinted that I'm not a pleasant person. ;) :D

I think I have a solution for American mail and packages. Trying it out now. When I lived in Windsor, I used detroit mailbox, where a Canuck could save the shipping and duty on packages by mailing to a Detroit address with your name. Then you cross the border and pick it up.

I found something similar in Alberta. Mail it to the border town of Sweet Grass Montana, but there is a company that will then bring it over the border and charge flat rates for duty and shipping to Calgary, where you go and pick it up.

As for any canadian mail, i'll stick with flex delivery with canada post... We'll try this out and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the thoughts and ideas. :thumbup:

TravelGal
08-15-20, 01:29 PM
You missed the part above where i kinda hinted that I'm not a pleasant person. ;) :D

I think I have a solution for American mail and packages. Trying it out now. When I lived in Windsor, I used detroit mailbox, where a Canuck could save the shipping and duty on packages by mailing to a Detroit address with your name. Then you cross the border and pick it up.

I found something similar in Alberta. Mail it to the border town of Sweet Grass Montana, but there is a company that will then bring it over the border and charge flat rates for duty and shipping to Calgary, where you go and pick it up.

As for any canadian mail, i'll stick with flex delivery with canada post... We'll try this out and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the thoughts and ideas. :thumbup:

No I didn't. That's why I made it the last suggestion. Glad you've arrived at something that might be workable--as soon as they open the border.