PDA

View Full Version : Quarantainment

nrc
03-29-20, 12:31 AM
A thread to talk about what you're doing for entertainment during the Corona virus crisis.

Tonight I'm watching the 1981 AFC Championship Game aka, The Freezer Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHyJsVIF6Q

Tomorrow I have "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood" queued up.

nissan gtp
03-29-20, 10:31 AM
I'm building the LEGO International Space Station. Very clever design.

TravelGal
03-29-20, 05:01 PM
I'm finding it very entertaining to go through all of my travel (and other) files with a fine-toothed comb. As my Facebook friends know, I think many of those little companies in far away places may have gone out of business since 2008. Especially now. :(

opinionated ow
03-29-20, 07:39 PM
I've started going through old races on www.dirtvision.com

Don't mind me some Big Block Modifieds or Sprintcars (although I prefer them without wings). Even the Late Models are surprisingly entertaining-possibly because the Americans who drive in the class actually have some skills

SteveH
03-29-20, 11:50 PM
I’ve watched some old Bulls and Knicks playoff games from the 90s that were highly entertaining. I had forgotten how good the Bulls were then. Also watched game 7 of the 2016 World Series. Much more enjoyable without all the tension. Saw parts of the IndyCar and NASCAR iRaces this weekend. Won’t need to do that again. I have worked from my house for 25 years so in that sense it isn’t that much different. Weather needs to get better so I can do yard work.

G.
03-30-20, 04:25 PM
My kid needs to read an auto-biography/memoir for his e-learning.
He's 17 and has FAR exceeded my racing knowledge (not THAT big of a challenge :) ).

An good suggestions?
Drivers, owners, CREW?
He would like to work in the racing industry after college.

TIA

devilmaster
03-30-20, 04:56 PM
He's 17

Little g. is.... but... he was just..... little g. .....

Ugh. i'm going to get a beer.

G.
03-30-20, 05:11 PM
Little g. is.... but... he was just..... little g. .....

Ugh. i'm going to get a beer.

HA!
The little guy YOU met turns 22 soon.
This is 1/2 of my twins. (21, 19, and 17*2)

devilmaster
03-30-20, 05:25 PM
fine. shots of everclear it is. :irked:

WickerBill
03-30-20, 09:26 PM
I enjoyed this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanic-Secret-World-F1-Pitlane-ebook/dp/B06VSXXJFL

Not sure if it wholly qualifies as an autobiography. Jenson Button has one, though, that gets good reviews.

Elmo T
03-31-20, 08:31 AM
Lots of time on this YouTube channel with old films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17cstUa7dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOFTDl5j3Zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHC-rllPEv0

TravelGal
03-31-20, 04:34 PM
fine. shots of everclear it is. :irked:

:thumbup::thumbup: Amen. :eek::eek:

Ankf00
03-31-20, 06:24 PM
would be more enjoyable if the weather was nice, at least. February pre-bunker life, insanely pleasant, lots of weekend grilling. March post-bunker, cabin fever.

finally opened this xmas gift. I really suck at Mario.
https://media.gamestop.com/i/gamestop/10136574/Nintendo-NES-Classic-Edition

datachicane
04-02-20, 03:04 AM
I'm rewatching the entire 1993 Indycar season, in order. It's been entertaining trying to explain to my wife why they let Uncle Bobby have a microphone :laugh:. Sam Posey holds up even worse, as he helpfully points out what track positions the foreigners hold, which races foreigners have and have not won, how Nigel's lack of experience dooms him, etc., etc., full-on Trackforum style. I didn't remember him being that bad, but maybe it just strikes a nerve now that it didn't then.

Also got some time in the canned ham, which in true datachicane style has spiraled into yet another cautionary tale about the dangers of scope creep. Well into year three of my three-month plan, and no light at the end of the tunnel.

SteveH
04-02-20, 08:47 AM
Robin Williams channel launches on YouTube featuring classic stand-up footage (https://www.nme.com/news/film/robin-williams-channel-launches-on-youtube-featuring-classic-stand-up-footage-2639256)

An official Robin Williams channel has been launched on YouTube, featuring classic clips from the late star’s stand-up routines.
Set up by Williams’ estate, the channel aims to “celebrate the life and comic genius” of the actor and comedian. “Be prepared to laugh and cry at these unforgettable and hilarious performances,” a description reads.

This will be entertaining. A huge thank you for doing this.

SteveH
04-02-20, 08:48 AM
BTW I'm watching Tiger King :eek:

nrc
04-02-20, 12:32 PM
Robin Williams channel launches on YouTube featuring classic stand-up footage (https://www.nme.com/news/film/robin-williams-channel-launches-on-youtube-featuring-classic-stand-up-footage-2639256)

This will be entertaining. A huge thank you for doing this.

Awesome. We really need Robin Williams right now.

nrc
04-02-20, 12:33 PM
BTW I'm watching Tiger King :eek:

Keep hearing about this. Not sure I want to go there...

Elmo T
04-02-20, 12:46 PM

I avoided it as long as I could. Must be like crack, because once you try you are hooked. I've not heard from anyone who started it and didn't end up binge watching.

I gave in over the weekend. Words can't describe it. :saywhat:

SteveH
04-02-20, 01:33 PM

Yeah you do, you want to watch this. Especially if you’ve ever once thought your life was too normal, too average, too boring. Because there isn’t one person on this that is normal, average or boring.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUlSU8TVAAEi0Gs?format=jpg&name=medium

Al Czervik
04-02-20, 01:34 PM
He's 17 and has FAR exceeded my racing knowledge (not THAT big of a challenge :) ).

An good suggestions?
Drivers, owners, CREW?
He would like to work in the racing industry after college.

TIA

Zanardi's 'My Sweetest Victory' or Olvey's 'Rapid Response'

Or go old school with Donohue's 'The Unfair Advantage'

devilmaster
04-02-20, 03:55 PM
Yeah you do, you want to watch this. Especially if you’ve ever once thought your life was too normal, too average, too boring. Because there isn’t one person on this that is normal, average or boring.

If I want to watch a train wreck, there is plenty of conspiracy nutbars with -actual- trains. :irked::mad:

Ankf00
04-02-20, 04:25 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUlSU8TVAAEi0Gs?format=jpg&name=medium

One watches Tiger King and realizes how happy one is with one's own life.
also,
https://i.imgur.com/cEX7q9R.jpeg

TravelGal
04-02-20, 05:00 PM
also,

:rofl::rofl: I have definitely missed you, Ank. :)
Yours,
--FarsiGal

trish
04-05-20, 10:36 PM

Jigsaw puzzles and overeating.

WickerBill
04-06-20, 08:42 AM
Finally watched Ford v Ferrari. Liked it. From everything I've read about Shelby, they didn't really do justice to his prickly-ness, but it was a really fun couple of hours.

G.
04-07-20, 12:37 AM
also,

:rofl::rofl:

But Eric Cowie RULES!
He's every high school friend I had, plus Turn 8 Dewey (for the one or two folks on here that might know him) rolled in to one.

Hard Driver
04-09-20, 12:14 AM
I run IT for my company. I'm busier than ever. I just don't have to commute, but get interrupted a lot more.

Did go out for a mountain bike ride alone on some conservation land near my house.

Lux Interior
04-09-20, 01:26 AM
We recorded 90 episodes of Diners, Drive In’s, and Dives on Food TV. If you want a positive, spirited show to pick you up that’s a great one. They air it all the time.

SteveH
04-10-20, 01:01 PM
EIIbpPfo1So.

nissan gtp
04-10-20, 04:44 PM
We recorded 90 episodes of Diners, Drive In’s, and Dives on Food TV. If you want a positive, spirited show to pick you up that’s a great one. They air it all the time.

Triple G is good too.

"Cart Swap" :rofl:

TravelGal
04-12-20, 03:42 PM
Don't judge but I watched the 2019 Indy Grand Prix on MSNBC. I missed it last year because I was, well, traveling. Either I'm missing any sort of ontrack racing or that was one of the more remarkable comebacks I've seen. In fact, the whole race was pretty entertaining. I didn't fall asleep once. A nice sidelight was Leigh Diffey and Townsend with a few comments before and after.

They kept advertising the 2019 500 to be on later that day but for some reason my DVR didn't R it. I was disappointed because I missed that race also while I was in Monaco. I suppose it's on YouTube but I like having it on DVR so I can fast forward when necessary. :D

opinionated ow
04-13-20, 08:35 AM
Don't judge but I watched the 2019 Indy Grand Prix on MSNBC. I missed it last year because I was, well, traveling. Either I'm missing any sort of ontrack racing or that was one of the more remarkable comebacks I've seen. In fact, the whole race was pretty entertaining. I didn't fall asleep once. A nice sidelight was Leigh Diffey and Townsend with a few comments before and after.

They kept advertising the 2019 500 to be on later that day but for some reason my DVR didn't R it. I was disappointed because I missed that race also while I was in Monaco. I suppose it's on YouTube but I like having it on DVR so I can fast forward when necessary. :D

To be honest I've watched the last 2 seasons and I've enjoyed it. The fields are quality. The cars look ok and sound ok. It's not 80s-90s-early 00s CART but it's better than just about every other form of racing in the world at the moment. (IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge and European Le Mans are the best circuit racing series atm)

Lux Interior
04-13-20, 12:23 PM
We just started watching Better Call Saul. It's a prequel to Break Bad. Highly entertaining.

datachicane
04-13-20, 05:44 PM
Finished the 1993 CART season- I'd forgotten just how crazy quick young Tracy was. Big fun. I'd also forgotten just how bad the announcing was. :rolleyes:

Started the 1984 CART season, figure I'll work my way back up from there. Much goofier broadcasts than I'd remembered, but I guess all of our standards have changed. Cool seeing young Michael and Al Jr. getting started. I was at a couple of races that season, including the inaugural Portland event, which had outrageous attrition (I think 14 of the 28 starters finished the race).

Heh, started Tiger King. I'd read an interview with one of the filmmakers where he talked about all of the super-weird stuff they had to cut out for fear of distracting the viewers :eek:- if this is the cleaned-up, simplified version, I think this whole civilization thing may have run its course.

SteveH
04-13-20, 06:07 PM
:laugh:

Lux Interior
04-14-20, 07:53 AM
Finished the 1993 CART season- I'd forgotten just how crazy quick young Tracy was. Big fun. I'd also forgotten just how bad the announcing was. :rolleyes:

Started the 1984 CART season, figure I'll work my way back up from there. Much goofier broadcasts than I'd remembered, but I guess all of our standards have changed. Cool seeing young Michael and Al Jr. getting started. I was at a couple of races that season, including the inaugural Portland event, which had outrageous attrition (I think 14 of the 28 starters finished the race).

Heh, started Tiger King. I'd read an interview with one of the filmmakers where he talked about all of the super-weird stuff they had to cut out for fear of distracting the viewers :eek:- if this is the cleaned-up, simplified version, I think this whole civilization thing may have run its course.

Nah. There have always been people like that. We just didn't know about them. But now, thanks to the magic of internet and technology, everyone can partake in the fun. :D

opinionated ow
04-20-20, 09:51 AM
Forget watching people play computer games, this craps all over it!

W3hEfwmzgDI

Pilgrims Drop
04-20-20, 11:51 AM
Forget watching people play computer games, this craps all over it!

W3hEfwmzgDI

Holy Youtube rabbithole Batman...

SteveH
04-20-20, 12:43 PM
Holy Youtube rabbithole Batman...

I wasn't going to watch, but your comment persuaded me. Much better than watching iRacing. :thumbup:

stroker
04-25-20, 06:14 PM
I've been watching my accumulated DVD collection. Just finished re-watching "Person of Interest" and "Justified" from beginning to end. Did you guys know that "Dickie Bennett" in Justified was the same actor as the translator in "Saving Private Ryan"?

indyfan31
04-27-20, 11:39 AM
I've been watching my accumulated DVD collection. Just finished re-watching "Person of Interest" and "Justified" from beginning to end. Did you guys know that "Dickie Bennett" in Justified was the same actor as the translator in "Saving Private Ryan"?

No kidding! I never put the two together. Really liked that show, very smartly written.
Along those lines "Longmire" was another one worth binging.

nrc
04-27-20, 01:54 PM

I really enjoyed "Person of Interest". A perfect example of a series that ended at the right time.

datachicane
04-27-20, 06:17 PM
Finished the '84 CART season, on to '85. I didn't follow the business side as closely in those days- does anyone remember any backstory on all of the livery swaps between '84-'85? Mario's Bud #3 livery went intact from Newman-Haas to Truesports for Rahal, Rahal's 7-11 #5 livery intact from Truesports to Patrick for Emmo, etc., etc., seemed odd that it wasn't just musical sponsorships, but the number and paint scheme as well. I assume Beatrice brought more $$$ to NH, displacing Bud and resulting in a bunch of sponsor upgrades down the food chain.

Finished off all nine seasons of Perry Mason. The first 4-5 seasons are a nice blend of noir and radio-drama screenwriting, while the last few seasons show the increasingly (and regrettably) heavy hand of the network trying to sex up the formula to bring in the kids. The last seasons really aren't bad at all, certainly by the standards of the day, they just compare unfavorably to the early stuff. Not that it's pertinent, but I may or may not have an embarrassing story involving Erle Stanley Gardner's house in a small town in Baja, a lot of margaritas, and the bell at the mission overlooking the place.

Elmo T
04-28-20, 08:18 AM
Our quarantainment for today:

SteveH
04-28-20, 08:40 AM
:cool:

nrc
04-28-20, 08:53 AM
Grumble. Indy is on the list but not Columbus. Maybe when they sort out the flight plan they'll add nearby metros.

Elmo T
04-28-20, 09:33 AM
Grumble. Indy is on the list but not Columbus. Maybe when they sort out the flight plan they'll add nearby metros.

Not sure how Trenton made the list - other than it is the Capitol and they are flying out of McGuire AFB. I would have assumed Columbus would have made the list.

TedN
04-28-20, 06:42 PM
The 2011 movie Contagion was on the tube the other night so I watched it. Hadn't seen it in a few years. Chillingly relevant. The medical terminology used in the film is now heard every day and is part of our lexicon.

Elmo T
04-29-20, 08:17 AM
Not the best photos taken with my phone - but not something you don't always see in both teams flying over. Photos from the PA side of the river as they all fly past. Also with Emmo and the NJ Capitol in the background.

SteveH
04-29-20, 09:04 AM
:thumbup:

TravelGal
04-29-20, 12:50 PM
Not the best photos taken with my phone - but not something you don't always see in both teams flying over. Photos from the PA side of the river as they all fly past. Also with Emmo and the NJ Capitol in the background.

So incredibly moving to see both teams together. You and Emmo are the icing on the cake.

gjc2
04-30-20, 07:25 AM

I wish I could have seen them. They flew right over my house, but I wasn't home! My neighbors said it was a very impressive sight.