PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus Numbers

Pages : 1 [2]

SteveH
04-10-20, 03:35 PM
Coronavirus pandemic has set the number of air travelers back 60 years, to pre-Boeing 707 days (https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/pandemic-has-set-the-number-of-air-travelers-back-60-years-to-pre-boeing-707-days/)

The Transportation Security Administration screened 94,931 people on Wednesday, a drop of 96% from a year ago and the second straight day under 100,000.

nrc
04-10-20, 11:25 PM
Coronavirus pandemic has set the number of air travelers back 60 years, to pre-Boeing 707 days (https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/pandemic-has-set-the-number-of-air-travelers-back-60-years-to-pre-boeing-707-days/)

I hope they can get those 737s flying again because everyone is going to need a vacation once this is over. :cry::rofl::laugh::rofl::cry:

gjc2
04-12-20, 09:10 AM
I hope they can get those 737s flying again because everyone is going to need a vacation once this is over. :cry::rofl::laugh::rofl::cry:

Maybe this is the vacation.

nrc
04-13-20, 01:04 AM
Maybe this is the vacation.

A month ago I would have thought that working from home would be a breeze. It's practically like a stay-cation. But I didn't consider that when can't go out, it's not as enjoyable as when you stay home because you don't want to go out.

Interesting conversation with Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former head of the FDA. He compares COVID with the Spanish Flu and talks about how China failed to nip this in the bud and actually exacerbated it by withholding live virus samples.

https://www.nationalreview.com/podcasts/the-editors/special-episode-scott-gottlieb-md-206/

nrc
04-13-20, 01:09 AM
LivePD went live again this weekend with an abridged and socially distanced version of their show. You could definitely tell that people are starting to get frayed around the edges.

WickerBill
04-13-20, 09:57 AM
Today is supposed to be Indiana's peak day, followed by "rapid decline". I have no idea how they know that, but I hope they're right.

TravelGal
04-13-20, 06:35 PM
Today is also supposed to be California's peak, followed by a steady decline. Of course, this is all IF and only if people continue to be socially responsible. It's averaging northern and southern California, which explains why we're still seeing a fairly high growth in number of deaths here locally. :(

nrc
04-17-20, 12:46 PM
Interesting interview with an epidemiologist from Sweden supporting the Swedish approach - which is basically the UK approach until the UK reversed course.

https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

* UK policy on lockdown and other European countries are not evidence-based
* The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only
* This will eventually lead to herd immunity
* The initial UK response, before the “180 degree U-turn”, was better
* The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
* The paper was very much too pessimistic
* Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway
* The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
* The results will eventually be similar for all countries
* The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 is the region of 0.1%
* That at least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden have already had the disease

It seems like one thing missing from this discussion is how much population density seems to impact transmission rates. Stockholm isn't much larger than Columbus. It's not true, as he says, that the people who we've saved now are just going to die later. The whole point of aggressive measures now is to keep the system from becoming overwhelmed in those high density areas, leading to much higher death rates in an overwhelmed system.

But it does raise the point of how we climb down from this. With the sensationalist nature of the press, even a baby step approach is likely to generate fluctuations in infection rates that will be painted as "blood on someone's hands." For example, opening schools probably makes sense. Children are the least affected, the least at risk, and the impact of them being out of school is tremendous. But even a single dead child is going to be a national story.

TravelGal
04-17-20, 01:07 PM
For example, opening schools probably makes sense. Children are the least affected, the least at risk, and the impact of them being out of school is tremendous. But even a single dead child is going to be a national story.

Thoughts in no particular order. Yes, a national story. Or, have we become immune (sorry for the pun) to stories? Case in point, March was the first month since 2002 without of school shooting. Does anyone care any more? Also, children don't get it but they can carry it. How many infected teachers would there be? The issue is that everyone draws conclusions (read: shoots their mouth off, write opinion pieces citing facts that fit their theory) with virtually no data, basing conclusions on completely different diseases. As for me and my house, we'll stay in quarantine. 55 deaths in LA County yesterday, up from 42 the day before.

SteveH
04-17-20, 05:03 PM
Schools are petri dishes. Too many diseases get passed around in the best of conditions. My youngest son is a high school teacher. More than once have they had to deal with mono and flus running though the school. It is too great of a transmission vector because the kids will go to school even when they don't feel well exposing other students, teachers and eventually parents. Because parents are stupid and send their kids to school now when sick. That won't change. All of which will expose more in the community. I'd hate to be on a school board being faced with a decision on when to reopen. Depending on the infection rates this summer, I won't be surprised to see some schools open in August with e-learning.

Of course there is this to consider https://www.tiktok.com/@liveyourlife81/video/6814471830775123206

Elmo T
04-17-20, 06:02 PM
Another long week.

The short version for my area - total cases continues to rise, albeit not as quickly as they expected. Community spread is down and down a lot. I hear things like 3-5% of all cases are community spread. The social distancing, hand washing, masks and all that - it is working. Needs to continue.

Deaths are rising quickly - almost exclusively in custodial care facilities. Nearly all deaths have come from these places. The few that were outside custodial care places all had serious preexisting conditions - typically diabetes, BMI, COPD, etc.

People are going to say "hey this wasn't so bad." Unless you work in a hospital or nursing home or EMS or you are one of the tens of thousands who has a lost a loved one. Otherwise, yea wasn't so bad. :saywhat:

There are no good answers. 99% of the people are doing the best they can in a crazy situation. The other 1% has started to turn this into a political crap show - and I am pointing fingers at both sides.

gjc2
04-18-20, 07:52 AM
you are one of the tens of thousands who has a lost a loved one.

For those who lost someone this is the worst epidemic in world history.

TravelGal
04-18-20, 03:37 PM
People are going to say "hey this wasn't so bad." Unless you work in a hospital or nursing home or EMS or you are one of the tens of thousands who has a lost a loved one. Otherwise, yea wasn't so bad. :saywhat:

There are no good answers. 99% of the people are doing the best they can in a crazy situation. The other 1% has started to turn this into a political crap show - and I am pointing fingers at both sides.

Word.

Stay safe out there Elmo T.

SteveH
04-18-20, 09:12 PM
Where are all the unused planes right now? (https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200415-where-are-all-the-unused-planes-right-now)

nrc
04-18-20, 09:21 PM
Word.

Stay safe out there Elmo T. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

gjc2
04-19-20, 07:01 AM
Where are all the unused planes right now? (https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200415-where-are-all-the-unused-planes-right-now)

Here are some . . . . .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8174863/88-American-Airlines-planes-park-Pittsburgh-International-Airport-runway-amid-COVID-19-pandemic.html

opinionated ow
04-28-20, 02:59 AM
We've been down to single figure new cases for most of the last week or so. They're finally relaxing some of the restrictions. Not sure how the university I work for is going to handle it. I work in one of the few places that is exclusively face to face teaching so it's got us pretty much cornered and at the whim of other people.

The government has however launched a tracking app. Which I will not be using. I've read 1984.

The latest casualty though is my trip to Canada and the States. Triathlon World Champs were supposed to be in Edmonton so I was going to stay a couple of weeks in around Toronto with trips to NASCAR at Michigan, Supermodifieds at Oswego and more local stuff in Canada. I guess I'll have to go for longer next year and slot in some Indycar and IMSA races too.

SteveH
04-29-20, 04:49 PM
A man ahead of his time...

https://streamable.com/ui4mrh

nrc
04-30-20, 01:03 AM
A man ahead of his time...

https://streamable.com/ui4mrh

:laugh::thumbup:

nrc
05-11-20, 02:07 AM
Interesting video with some pretty gruesome details on the many ways that the virus attacks the body, or some cases causes the body to attack itself.

Warning: graphic images of organs and other icky medical stuff. Decided not to embed this because the teaser image is autopsied lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzKvIYwqQkE

opinionated ow
05-11-20, 04:19 AM
Starting to crawl out from under our collective rock here in Australia. Although it must be said there are some weird decisions being made by the government. They said they expect restaurants to open and then in the next breath said that only 10 people can be in them at any given time.

WickerBill
05-11-20, 07:51 AM
One county over from us, restaurant dining rooms are allowed to open today at 50% capacity. But my favorite Chinese place, which has been run by the same man since 1955, is not doing it - sticking with take-out only (which btw, they never did take-out until the pandemic).

You should see the plebs on Facebook badmouth this very old man and his family for staying closed.

nrc
05-11-20, 07:45 PM
One county over from us, restaurant dining rooms are allowed to open today at 50% capacity. But my favorite Chinese place, which has been run by the same man since 1955, is not doing it - sticking with take-out only (which btw, they never did take-out until the pandemic).

You should see the plebs on Facebook badmouth this very old man and his family for staying closed.

Because this guy is required to provide them with a place to sit and eat their noodles? Idjuts. If you want to make your own choices you should respect that others can make their own choices as well.

I was concerned because the direct chart links I posted earlier from coronavirusgraphs.com site are broken but the site is still up. Good to see that the US numbers seem to have finally flattened dramatically. But it's early and I hope we don't see a rebound as things open up again.

I'm encouraged at indications that I'm seeing that apparent airborne transmissions appear to be from droplets rather than aerosols. It's a good sign for the use of masks as a protective measure.

I hope everyone is still doing well. It looks like my school's effectiveness in a work-from-home environment will probably lead to permanent changes in the way we work after the crisis passes.

WickerBill
05-11-20, 08:04 PM
Quick background that probably only Richard knows: I'm an IT industry analyst, and my coverage area includes work-from-home. It has been a RIDICULOUS six weeks for me. "Most requested analyst" is honestly not a title you want, folks. Good grief.

I think the point about your school never quite going back to the way people used to work is going to hold true for over half of companies in America and maybe more in other geographies. What we are seeing is that these organizations' IT staffs got people home and working in insanely short order using what amounts to bailing wire and duct tape. Upper management is noticing, starting to invest in making the bailing wire and duct tape something more sustainable, and thinking two very big thoughts:

1. If I can have half my staff work from home, I can save a ton of money on real estate.
2. If I can have half my staff work from home, I can throw a national, or even global, net for hiring, instead of being stuck only hiring the local people who can drive to my HQ each day.

The next six months are gonna be really interesting.

devilmaster
05-11-20, 10:18 PM
I've been mostly quiet because I got called out to a town outside my city that became the covid hotspot of Alberta.

Brooks alberta is 15000 pop, and within 2 weeks they have almost 10% of their population have it.

I got called in to cook at a 40 seniors rest home. most of the staff had to go under quarantine. Not that they were flouting the disease, but more that the city is its own petri dish. large family homes, and a main employer of 2000 people caused it to spread quickly.

Its starting to ebb, and the govt needs to be commended because they put alot of resources into the city once it became obvious what was happening. They took over a closed car shop with 5 bays to open a drive thru testing center. Extra medical staff for the local hospital, and businesses that could brought in other workers to help out. When I arrived at the rest home I am cooking for, everyone was hired or brought in within the last week. The town kept workin, but it was affected, and it shows what can happen if there is an outbreak.

Almost all fast food joints closed due to staff being infected or quarantined because family was infected. McD's, A&W, 7/11, wendys, and both Tim hortons were closed. There was talk that all grocery stores were short staffed and possibly brought in workers from other towns to make sure they stayed open. There was talk walmart would close down but they stayed open.

The town almost shut down, and if you had asked me when I first got here, I would have laid bets on the town being shut down, no one in, no one out.

But none of my 41 residents caught covid, but the other residence in town, 80+ seniors, some did have covid, and at least 1 senior has died from it. I'll be here three weeks come friday, which is my last day.

nrc
05-12-20, 09:21 PM
Quick background that probably only Richard knows: I'm an IT industry analyst, and my coverage area includes work-from-home. It has been a RIDICULOUS six weeks for me. "Most requested analyst" is honestly not a title you want, folks. Good grief.

I think the point about your school never quite going back to the way people used to work is going to hold true for over half of companies in America and maybe more in other geographies. What we are seeing is that these organizations' IT staffs got people home and working in insanely short order using what amounts to bailing wire and duct tape. Upper management is noticing, starting to invest in making the bailing wire and duct tape something more sustainable, and thinking two very big thoughts:

1. If I can have half my staff work from home, I can save a ton of money on real estate.
2. If I can have half my staff work from home, I can throw a national, or even global, net for hiring, instead of being stuck only hiring the local people who can drive to my HQ each day.

The next six months are gonna be really interesting.

Send me a link and I'll Zoom-bomb your sessions to give you a break and change things up for you. :gomer:

Seems like this was the perfect moment for a disruption in telecommuting. It's probably been possible at this level for over a decade but the widespread availability and comfort level with video conferencing is relatively new. I think a lot of companies were probably put off by experiences from a decade or more ago trying to outsource or offshore work. But there's a big difference between moving a homogeneous work culture into a work from home model and trying to meld disparate cultures into a working unit. Fork-lifting our workforce into Zoom and/or Teams was a breeze, but we have a lot to learn about maintaining our culture in that environment, especially as the workforce turns over.

I expect our workforce will end up 25% on site, 50% "hybrid" (on site a day or two a week), and 25% pure telecommute.

I'll be thrilled if this gets us out of town sooner rather than later. But I still haven't determined whether our place in the boonies will get decent Internet. I've got two bars on Verizon up on the hill. That's got to be as good as Comcast, right?

nrc
05-12-20, 09:35 PM
I've been mostly quiet because I got called out to a town outside my city that became the covid hotspot of Alberta.

Brooks alberta is 15000 pop, and within 2 weeks they have almost 10% of their population have it.

I got called in to cook at a 40 seniors rest home. most of the staff had to go under quarantine. Not that they were flouting the disease, but more that the city is its own petri dish. large family homes, and a main employer of 2000 people caused it to spread quickly.

I suspect that when the dust settles people are going to realize that not focusing more on protecting the most vulnerable was our biggest blunder. That and not pushing widespread use of masks earlier.

https://medium.com/@Cancerwarrior/covid-19-why-we-should-all-wear-masks-there-is-new-scientific-rationale-280e08ceee71

Stay well, DM.

SteveH
05-13-20, 11:24 PM
Here (https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/resources/wholesale-price-update) are some numbers to ponder

TravelGal
05-14-20, 01:48 PM
Here (https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/resources/wholesale-price-update) are some numbers to ponder

Does any of this go back past the "wholesale price" and remain with the rancher? I sure hope so because I don't want to tell you how much I paid last week for two pieces of filet mignon!

nrc
05-14-20, 08:06 PM
Does any of this go back past the "wholesale price" and remain with the rancher? I sure hope so because I don't want to tell you how much I paid last week for two pieces of filet mignon!

I'm going to guess no. The problem seems to be that meat processing capacity has been limited by the outbreak. A few weeks ago there were stories of farmers killing young animals because the selling price wasn't going to be enough to pay their feed costs.