PDA

View Full Version : Electric Aircraft

TravelGal
11-15-19, 04:34 PM
Obviously press release jargon but I'd love to hear discussion on this.

Airbus Takes Leadership Position In Electric Aircraft
Airlineratings reports Airbus and SAS have taken a leadership position to research and develop electric and hybrid-electric aircraft operations ecosystems and related infrastructure requirements. The two organizations have signed an MOU to establish the requirements for the next generation of electric aircraft and to develop a framework on how to best introduce hybrid-electric aircraft for large-scale commercial use over the next 10 to 15 years. The agreement is a first-of-its-kind collaboration that brings together a leading aircraft manufacturer and prestigious airline to better understand how electric and hybrid-electric aircraft could be deployed at airports worldwide. But pushing the boundaries on an electric flight is not new for Airbus. Since 2010, Airbus has been heavily investing in developing hybrid-electric and electric propulsion technologies for aircraft. Notable projects include the E-Fan X, a hybrid-electric aircraft demonstrator, in partnership with Rolls Royce. At the same time, SAS has taken an industry-leading position to reduce its carbon footprint, a commitment that began well over 20 years ago. The airline has the goal to reduce its emissions by 25% by 2030 by modernizing its fleet, increasing bio fuel use and exploring the use of hybrid-electric aircraft. The airline produced it first environmental report in 1996, long before climate change made international headlines worldwide. The collaboration also includes a plan to involve a renewable energy supplier to ensure genuine zero-emission operations are assessed. Aircraft are about 84% more fuel efficient per passenger kilometer than they were 50 years ago. However, with air traffic growth estimated to more than double over the next 20 years, reducing aviation's impact on the environment remains the aim of the industry. Airbus embarked on its aircraft electrification journey, developing the world's first fully-electric, four-engine aerobatic aircraft, CriCri. In 2015, Airbus' all-electric, twin-propeller aircraft E-Fan successfully crossed the English Channel. E-Fan X, the successor to E-Fan that is 30 times more powerful than its predecessor, is expected to take its first flight in 2021.

WickerBill
11-15-19, 05:26 PM
I know next to nothing about this, but it would seem hybrid would have to be the way to go, vs. all electric, so regeneration (perhaps via wind resistance or landing reverse thrust mechanisms) could be one of the main sources of keeping the batteries charged. No airline is going to want multiple hours between uses so the plane can charge.

You may all flay my ignorance, of course!

nrc
11-15-19, 05:32 PM
Seems like the A380 would be large enough to fit a nuclear reactor...

gjc2
11-17-19, 03:55 PM
I know next to nothing about this, but it would seem hybrid would have to be the way to go, vs. all electric, so regeneration (perhaps via wind resistance or landing reverse thrust mechanisms) could be one of the main sources of keeping the batteries charged. No airline is going to want multiple hours between uses so the plane can charge.

You may all flay my ignorance, of course!

Unlike cars, aircraft (and boats) are under a constant load, they don’t coast. When a car is cruising at a constant speed on a level road it requires a surprisingly small amount of power. A small internal combustion engine with help from an electric motor when needed works on road going vehicle. Hybrid drive vehicles get better mileage in stop and go traffic because they get to add charge to their batteries when slowing. When flying a plane the pilot sets the throttle (called thrust levers on a jet or turbo prop) to takeoff power for the takeoff roll and initial climb out, then reduce to climb power until they reach their crusing altitude where they go to cruise power. When they reach their destination the pilot reduces power to descend and to maintain slow flight in the airfields traffic pattern. When they turn to final approach they reduce power further to descend to the runway going the “flight idle” just before touchdown. On a propeller driven aircraft the slipstream will cause the prop to “windmill” however the oncoming rushing air won’t turn a jet engine. In the case of most modern turboprop engines there is no mechanical connection between the prop (and its own separate turbine) and the compressor/turbine gas generating section of the engine.

WickerBill
11-18-19, 09:34 AM
Sooo..... hybrid could only work if applied completely differently - and all electric would require phenomenal power because there's never any downtime.

Yes?

cameraman
11-19-19, 02:14 AM
And batteries, even the newest, are heavy. That's the last thing you want in an aircraft.

gjc2
11-19-19, 08:10 AM
And batteries, even the newest, are heavy. That's the last thing you want in an aircraft.

And they don't get lighter as they're used up.

SteveH
12-11-19, 03:33 PM
'World's first' fully-electric commercial flight takes off (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50738983)

devilmaster
12-11-19, 03:47 PM
This is great. But I never want to hear them bitch about my laptop batteries and power banks ever again. :irked:

opinionated ow
12-12-19, 02:03 AM
It's not feasible in high capacity operations. One of the things that allows a flight to succeed is that as the fuel is burnt the aircraft requires less lift. The byproduct of lift is drag so as the aircraft flies longer and lightens further the drag lessens. If the plane weight the same the entire flight there is no efficiency gain which means you have a high drag environment the entire time.

TravelGal
12-12-19, 02:58 PM
This is great. But I never want to hear them bitch about my laptop batteries and power banks ever again. :irked:

:laugh::laugh: