PDA

View Full Version : Ford Vs Ferrari

Napoleon
11-15-19, 04:08 PM
This movie, which I learned of via Facebook advertising, opens today, and got a pretty good review from the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/14/movies/ford-v-ferrari-review.html

gjc2
11-16-19, 09:29 AM
I wouldn’t put too much stock into a newspaper review unless the writer was knowledgeable about motorsports. I’ll wait for it to be available on TV.

TravelGal
11-16-19, 04:29 PM
I wouldn’t put too much stock into a newspaper review unless the writer was knowledgeable about motorsports. I’ll wait for it to be available on TV.

Here's Racermike's review. I hope he doesn't mind my lifting it from Facebook. "Very very well done. Might be best “racing” movie in a couple of decades." He's an old CART/Champ car fan and flagger and flags for F1 now so his approval may ease your mind gjc2.

gjc2
11-16-19, 05:18 PM
his approval may ease your mind gjc2.

Actually it does. Maybe I will see it.

G.
11-16-19, 08:26 PM
It is a very good movie.

(the bad)
It does have some Hollywood aspects, unfortunately.
From the, it-bothers-me-more-than-it-should category, if the cars are side-by-side down the Mulsanne Straight, about halfway down the distance, why do the drivers THEN decide to floor it? WTF were they waiting for?
There are a few points where I wanted to know just a bit more info. Maybe it'll show up in the director's cut. :)
The Big Bad Meanie™ is a wee bit over-the-top. :shakehead:

(the good)
I'm glad I didn't know the story very well before I saw it.
Matt Damon does a great job, I thought.
You don't have to be a race geek to enjoy the movie. Maybe that should go into the bad category...

(the great)
The sound!
The cars!
Photography is great. Filmography? Movin' pikchurs guy?
I hate to type this - Christian Bale was excellent. Damon loses the pre-release Oscar-hype-battle. Bale kicked ass.
As we left the theater, the g. said "Now I want to know more about all the other cars from that era". :thumbup::thumbup:

I'd see it again.

Napoleon
11-17-19, 08:22 PM

The NY Times, and a bunch of other good reviews I have read (not a single even lukewarm one), have been more along the lines of its a good classic (50 years or so ago) type of movie, in the best way.

(the bad)

Have not seen it yet, but I have seen other racing fans post other complaints like yours (I think one shows a Ford dicing with a Ferrari, and they make it out to be Miles, but in reality it was Gurney, or some such). But with those criticisms, they really liked the movie

(the good)
I'm glad I didn't know the story very well before I saw it.
. . .
You don't have to be a race geek to enjoy the movie. Maybe that should go into the bad category...

First point, I basically did not at all. Second point, why would that be a bad point.

(the great)
. . .
As we left the theater, the g. said "Now I want to know more about all the other cars from that era". :thumbup::thumbup:

Just watching the trailer, I would as well

Gopeddle
11-18-19, 10:55 AM
Concerning running side by side down the Mulsanne. I read that Dan Gurney said when he won the race he tried not to race at full tilt because he wanted to be sure the car would last until the end. Yeah, I know, a bit of a stretch for the film, but hey, if someone absolutely needs a rationale.

G.
11-18-19, 02:34 PM
Go see it. Or wait for streaming, if you'd like.

It's worth it.

The NY Times, and a bunch of other good reviews I have read (not a single even lukewarm one), have been more along the lines of its a good classic (50 years or so ago) type of movie, in the best way.

Have not seen it yet, but I have seen other racing fans post other complaints like yours (I think one shows a Ford dicing with a Ferrari, and they make it out to be Miles, but in reality it was Gurney, or some such). But with those criticisms, they really liked the movie

My beef was just an example. I point out the "bad" because I'm an engineer. It's in my nature. :(

(the good)

why would that be a bad point.

There were questions brought up, but maybe not answered, fully. I assume that it was due to avoiding boring the ever-loving crap out of not-race-geeks. They edited it to appeal to the masses.

That's OK, but I still want to know how much input the Brits had, and who fit the bigger engine and, and, ...

I recommend to go see the movie. We liked it a lot.
There were moments in the flick that I wanted to cheer out-loud, but the theater I was in was quiet, so I just punched the g. in the arm. ;) :D :p

I may go see it again in the theater. I haven't done that since that little indie film back in '77, Star Wars. :p :gomer:
Maybe IMAX this time.

TravelGal
11-18-19, 02:45 PM
I may go see it again in the theater. I haven't done that since that little indie film back in '77, Star Wars. :p :gomer:
Maybe IMAX this time.

That's my thought. Why watch a race movie on a small screen? PS it had a respectable opening weekend of $31 million. Second place went to Midway at $8.8 million in its second weekend.

cameraman
11-19-19, 02:02 AM
It is a good movie with a few notable annoyances. The portrayal of Lorenzo Bandini was pretty ridiculous, not a single spoken line just smoldering stares. That and all the eye contact between drivers while hammering down the road at 190 mph. Like that was remotely possible...

SteveH
11-20-19, 08:05 AM
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/versus_bracket_2x.png

indyfan31
11-22-19, 02:55 PM
Just came back from a couple of weeks in Ireland. I assume that in an effort not to offend a certain country full of movie ticket buyers, it goes by the name Le Mans '66. :D

Napoleon
11-23-19, 05:33 PM
Just came back from a couple of weeks in Ireland. I assume that in an effort not to offend a certain country full of movie ticket buyers, it goes by the name Le Mans '66. :D

World wide it was released under that name, other than the US.

Napoleon
11-23-19, 05:57 PM
Saw it this morning (who knew you could see a movie at 9:45 in the morning at certain theaters).

I really, really liked it.

It is a film made for commercial release, so a bunch of stuff is compressed, details altered, and such, which could drive you crazy if you are a purest. But for what it is, it is great. I would see it again. I would love to see it in IMAX or similar format, but it is not playing around here in it.

opinionated ow
11-24-19, 08:07 AM
World wide it was released under that name, other than the US.

Not quite, it's Ford vs Ferrari here too.

Napoleon
11-25-19, 09:03 AM
Not quite, it's Ford vs Ferrari here too.

Then what I read was incorrect. Thanks.

gjc2
11-28-19, 09:10 AM
A friend who is a serious racing fan and is old enough to have followed the Ford/Ferrari battle in real time, back in the day said the movie is great. I guess I will see it.

TravelGal
11-30-19, 03:17 AM
A friend who is a serious racing fan and is old enough to have followed the Ford/Ferrari battle in real time, back in the day said the movie is great. I guess I will see it.

Don't wait too long if you want to see it in theatrical release. It's been out 2 weeks now and will have to give way to the "Christmas releases." Nappy, in checking the IMDB, I see that it was Ford v Ferrari in about half the countries and Le Mans 66 in about the other half. A few countries had completely different titles like "Contra lo imposible" in Argentina.

I saw it today at the historic Chinese Theater in Hollywood, remade a few years ago into an IMAX theater. All I can say is that, for a few hours, I remembered how I felt at the CART and ChampCar races. An exhilaration I never had anywhere else. The sound alone was worth the trip. Yeah, there were some quibbles like the long looks between drivers and the injection of Lee Iacocca in way too many scenes (played by an actor who didn't look remotely like him) but like others here, I'd see it again.

gjc2
11-30-19, 02:48 PM
Don't wait too long if you want to see it in theatrical release.

I just bought the tickets for a 3:20 showing in an IMAX theater. $12.65 each with the senior citizen discount (that includes a $1.50 "convenience" fee)

Expect a full review later today.

gjc2
11-30-19, 07:57 PM
Here’s my review: It was good, but it was just a movie not a documentary. The last movie I saw in a theater was Rush and the one before that was Avatar, as you can see I’m not a movie guy.

The half hour of trailers was a bit much

TravelGal
12-01-19, 04:47 PM
Was it ever advertised as a documentary? Anyway, at least you thought it was "good." TCL Chinese Theater (IMAX) is $20 for the senior citizen discount so you did well. Agreed on the trailers. Ugh. Although I laughed out loud in spite of myself at new Jumangi.

rabbit
12-16-19, 04:39 PM
Saw it last night with the wife, who is not a racing fan and had never even heard of the 24 Hours of Le Mans before she met me. We both enjoyed it immensely. 9/10, would recommend.

One of the things that I appreciated about it, too, is that it's something I'll be able to watch with my son in a few years. Unlike Rush, which I might need to wait several years to show him. (But then, not sure how you tell James Hunt's story without those scenes...)

indyfan31
12-16-19, 05:24 PM
Here’s my review: It was good, but it was just a movie not a documentary. The last movie I saw in a theater was Rush and the one before that was Avatar, as you can see I’m not a movie guy.

Wow! 3 movies in 10 years, that's discipline. :D

TravelGal
12-16-19, 06:03 PM
Still in the top 10 movies last week. Not a massive amount of income but impressive that it's still there after so many weeks in release. Christian Bale nominated for best actor in the SAG awards. (Screen Actors Guild). Here endeth the report from Tinseltown.

opinionated ow
12-17-19, 08:48 AM
Still in the top 10 movies last week. Not a massive amount of income but impressive that it's still there after so many weeks in release. Christian Bale nominated for best actor in the SAG awards. (Screen Actors Guild). Here endeth the report from Tinseltown.

Probably won't end up winning anything though because climate change :rolleyes:

gjc2
12-17-19, 05:32 PM
Wow! 3 movies in 10 years, that's discipline. :D

We didn’t stay to the end for Avatar