PDA

View Full Version : Single-source hybrid system 2022

TravelGal
08-01-19, 12:12 PM
https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/08/08-01-INDYCAR-Hybrid

Whatcha think, oh gurus of Open Wheel?

SteveH
08-01-19, 03:27 PM
They have no choice if they want more than two engine manufacturers. Will be interesting to see how this works on the big oval. And that race is the only reason why a manufacturer would want to supply engines. Sort of a dilemma for IndyCar. I'm pretty sure this means there won't be a new manufacturer until 2022.

opinionated ow
08-02-19, 07:58 AM
I don't see the point. It's not revolutionary. it's heavy. it's expensive. It makes things less reliable. If they go electric in pit lane they ruin the big smoky, noisy burnouts that have been a part of the series forever. On an oval they're never going to have it charged (I mean they barely use the brakes at Iowa or Gateway).

So what does it do? it allows some car manufacturer more concerned with green washing than racing to pretend to care about the environment even though nothing they're doing is actually contributing to any development at all.

Surely it wouldn't be hard for a series to tell the manufacturers to get stuffed. I'm pretty certain that Gibson, Judd, Cosworth, Ilmor, Gaerte, Ed Pink, Shaver and a whole bunch of others could produce reliable, high power engines for a fraction of the cost without the hybrid nonsense. There must be some other sponsors or rich blokes wanting to spend cash that could make it happen to replace the Honda bucks.

gjc2
08-03-19, 03:28 PM
The green movement is the beginning of the end for motorsports.

nrc
08-03-19, 06:37 PM
I don't see the point. It's not revolutionary. it's heavy. it's expensive. It makes things less reliable. If they go electric in pit lane they ruin the big smoky, noisy burnouts that have been a part of the series forever. On an oval they're never going to have it charged (I mean they barely use the brakes at Iowa or Gateway).

So what does it do? it allows some car manufacturer more concerned with green washing than racing to pretend to care about the environment even though nothing they're doing is actually contributing to any development at all.

Surely it wouldn't be hard for a series to tell the manufacturers to get stuffed. I'm pretty certain that Gibson, Judd, Cosworth, Ilmor, Gaerte, Ed Pink, Shaver and a whole bunch of others could produce reliable, high power engines for a fraction of the cost without the hybrid nonsense. There must be some other sponsors or rich blokes wanting to spend cash that could make it happen to replace the Honda bucks.

This exactly. Absolutely pointless addition of cost, complexity and weight. Has anyone considered the safety issue of showering the crowd with battery debris? Battery fires? (Disclaimer: I don't care enough to check and see what battery technology they propose to use).

nissan gtp
08-04-19, 08:59 AM
Change and technical progress in racing, what?s a concept. :thumbup:

Lux Interior
08-04-19, 11:48 AM
The green movement is the beginning of the end for motorsports.

I’ve tried to watch formula e.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

gjc2
08-04-19, 11:58 AM
I?ve tried to watch formula e.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Me too.

Gopeddle
08-04-19, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I've tried to watch Formula E as well. Just can't get into it at all. The cars just make a zipping sound, the tracks are too narrow and the concrete barriers are ugly. Most of the skylines that can be seen are ugly as well. A lot of my enjoyment from watching racing on TV comes from the appealing scenery around tracks like Spa, Road America etc. I suppose it's one of the reasons I'd just as soon not watch another oval race, but just one of the reasons. Ha! Formula E just doesn't excite me. Sure, I appreciate the tech and all, but it just doesn't do it for me.

TravelGal
08-05-19, 02:59 PM
I?ve tried to watch formula e.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Me too.

Me three. It's okay if you need a nice nap but I never got the drift (har har) of what was happening. Dario does a good job but they never, ever describe any of the technical aspects or how to use the various zones on the track. You're just supposed to know. My "record series" stopped and I didn't notice it for almost two months. :laugh:

opinionated ow
08-06-19, 08:30 AM
Me three. It's okay if you need a nice nap but I never got the drift (har har) of what was happening. Dario does a good job but they never, ever describe any of the technical aspects or how to use the various zones on the track. You're just supposed to know. My "record series" stopped and I didn't notice it for almost two months. :laugh:

Me four. It can he hilariously inept. I don't think I've ever seen a red flag in a major series for track blockage but it happened in the 10 minutes of Formula E I watched a month or so ago.

Elmo T
08-07-19, 02:53 PM
Formula E as I like to think of it... and the sound at 1:00 is dead on :rolleyes::rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d84qxq1oHe0

nrc
08-07-19, 02:53 PM
I watched some highlights to see what Formula E looks like. I really wouldn't care about the propulsion if the racing was good but it looks like amateur hour with video game rules. It doesn't help that with the cars being so quiet you hear a lot of noises that sound really junky. I'm sure it's no different than the sounds that you'd hear from a lot of race cars if their engines were virtually silent, but it's off-putting.

They need to put PA speakers on them and have them make tie fighter noises or something.

Rus'L
08-07-19, 06:20 PM
This exactly. Absolutely pointless addition of cost, complexity and weight. Has anyone considered the safety issue of showering the crowd with battery debris? Battery fires? (Disclaimer: I don't care enough to check and see what battery technology they propose to use).

For crying out loud, they are not going electric. Just a small KERS system. That's it. There is plenty of other debris -- and fuel, for god's sake -- that can rain on spectators a lot worse than any simple additional KERS system.

Rus'L
08-07-19, 06:25 PM

Like Steve H says, they don't have a choice. Even NASCAR is talking about going hybrid. Heck, they just went fuel injection! :rofl:

The engine manufacturers are demanding it. IMSA will be going hybrid in their next DPi rule set. Again, because the manufacturers demand it.

And here's the thing, the manufacturers don't even care if it's useful or could be used for R&D. It's all a marketing exercise (nowadays, many racing budgets come from the marketing department, not the engineering department). All the manufacturers want to say to the masses is "We race and develop hybrid engines." How true that is and relative to what they sell on the road, they don't care. They just have to be able to say it in the advertising.