PDA

View Full Version : Hypersonic jet travel

TravelGal
04-11-19, 12:27 PM
Any of you guys following this? I'll bet it's fun to work at that facility in Colorado. From today's ARTA E-News:
Travelmole reports hypersonic jet travel has become a step closer to reality after UK researchers completed a milestone test in its plan to operate an aircraft capable of flying London-New York in under an hour. Reaction Engines has tested the aircraft at simulated speeds of Mach 3.3, three times the speed of sound, using 'pre cooler' technology that allows the aircraft to travel at high speed without causing the engine to melt. The next stage will see the technology tested at Mach 5.5 (4,200 mph). At top speed, it could lead to superfast transatlantic flights, with aircraft travelling at up to Mach 25, or 25 times the speed of sound. That is the equivalent of flying London-New York in under an hour. Reaction Engines, based in Oxfordshire, built a testing facility on the ground in Colorado and used a General Electric J79 turbojet engine to replicate the conditions that the vehicle will experience at hypersonic speeds. The firm hopes to make a reusable vehicle that would combine the fuel efficiency of a jet engine with the power and speed of a rocket. The pre-cooler is designed to lower the temperature of compressed air rushing through an engine from more than 1,000C to room temperature in one twentieth of a second, according to The Times. The new experimental engine would be called Sabre and would work like an 'air breathing rocket engine'. From take-off to Mach 5.5, the Sabre would draw oxygen from the atmosphere were it would be ignited in a rocket combustion chamber alongside stored liquid hydrogen. It would then switch to burning liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen from on-board fuel tanks, allowing it to reach 25 times the speed of sound to enter space. Mark Thomas, the Reaction Engines chief executive, told The Times: "If you can pull it off, it's a game changer."

WickerBill
04-11-19, 02:14 PM
I volunteer for the first NY-London test flight... as long as screaming at the top of my lungs the entire hour is cool

cameraman
04-11-19, 04:40 PM
They might be able to fast but can they mitigate the sonic booms. Doesn't matter how quick it is it won't be flying anywhere if it is blasting folks on the ground with booms.

SteveH
04-11-19, 08:00 PM
The firm hopes to make a reusable vehicle

That would be admirable.

nrc
04-14-19, 01:11 AM
That would be admirable.

And economical. :gomer: I can't imagine many people will be able to afford the fare if they're trowing away major bits every trip.