PDA

View Full Version : ChampCar is back!

nrc
03-17-19, 07:23 PM
Well, not really.

I came across the "ChampCar Endurance Series" in my web surfing. It's the kind of no license, run what you brung series that seems to be popular these days. Not sure how they picked that name, though.

http://champcar.org

SteveH
03-17-19, 08:05 PM
Is Plourde aware of this?

opinionated ow
03-18-19, 07:48 AM
Is Plourde aware of this?

:rofl::rofl::rofl: oh man. That bloke is next level. Although he hasn't claimed a team for 2019 it seems. I'd love it if Robin Miller did a profile on this legend of our sport during an Indycar race this year.

datachicane
04-17-19, 01:17 AM
It's the series formerly known as Chumpcar. I liked the old name, not at all certain why they thought this was necessary.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/00477aab001/02ac8e94-a9a8-4f6d-bd6f-f0ffe2a170f1.png

opinionated ow
04-18-19, 04:36 AM
It's the series formerly known as Chumpcar. I liked the old name, not at all certain why they thought this was necessary.

USAC also have been using the Champ Car name in recent years:

jimclark
05-14-19, 02:06 AM
USAC also have been using the Champ Car name in recent years

And years gone by....'50s, 60s, and 70s, iirc. Back when (on the "championship trail") cars were affectionately called "champ cars". ;)

edit - Yup..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_USAC_Championship_Car_seasons

Rus'L
07-01-19, 12:46 PM
Well, not really.

I came across the "ChampCar Endurance Series" in my web surfing. It's the kind of no license, run what you brung series that seems to be popular these days. Not sure how they picked that name, though.

http://champcar.org

I'm a little late to this conversation.

As someone else mentioned, they changed their name from Chumpcar.

Champcar was still owned by Indy car, as they acquired the trademark rights after buying Champ Car. Chumpcar approached IMS to see if they would be willing to release the rights to the name, and they were. A deal was worked out, and Chumpcar became Champcar.

The cynic in me says IMS liked the idea of the name going to a low budget amateur organization to "devalue" the heritage and history of CART/Champ Car. But that's me...

Meanwhile, the new Champcar, by working with IMS, the two organizations got to know each other. Next thing you know, they also worked out a deal to run an event on the IMS road course. Which happens to be this weekend. They are going to run a 9-hour endurance race each day on Saturday and Sunday. They have 100 entries.

jimclark
07-02-19, 11:22 AM
The cynic in me says IMS liked the idea of the name going to a low budget amateur organization to "devalue" the heritage and history of CART/Champ Car. But that's me...
Count me in. Great minds think alike. 'Wouldn't put it past 'em myself..... ;)

nissan gtp
07-02-19, 04:23 PM
I think Champcar/Chumpcar is cool stuff. Real folks having fun racing. Might have been meant to devalue "our" ChampCar", but it doesn't as far as I'm concerned.

Rus'L
07-02-19, 09:17 PM
I think Champcar/Chumpcar is cool stuff. Real folks having fun racing. Might have been meant to devalue "our" ChampCar", but it doesn't as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, I agree with you. And I've volunteered with them when they come to Watkins Glen. Nothing against them. Just IMS...

nrc
07-03-19, 11:33 AM
Oh, I agree with you. And I've volunteered with them when they come to Watkins Glen. Nothing against them. Just IMS...

Absolutely. The IMS crowd always took it as an insult that Champ car dared to act as though they had some kind of heritage outside of IMS. I have no doubt they see an amateur series like that as a way sully that brand.

jimclark
07-03-19, 11:39 AM
Absolutely. The IMS crowd always took it as an insult that Champ car dared to act as though they had some kind of heritage outside of IMS. I have no doubt they see an amateur series like that as a way sully that brand.

AAA, USAC, CART....amateurs???? :confused:

I think not. :cool:

Oooohhhh....my mistake. :\ Upon rereading your post, I initially misunderstood (I think....) ;)

nrc
07-04-19, 06:58 PM
AAA, USAC, CART....amateurs???? :confused:

I think not. :cool:

Oooohhhh....my mistake. :\ Upon rereading your post, I initially misunderstood (I think....) ;)

I think you got it at the end. I'm only referring to the series formerly known as "Chumpcar" as amateur.

jimclark
07-05-19, 10:42 AM
I think you got it at the end. I'm only referring to the series formerly known as "Chumpcar" as amateur.
Unnerstood.....that was exackly my mistake. I don't know how I misunderstood originally. :(
Thirty lashes to me with a wet noodle!!! :eek:

:)