PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR

Mary
03-03-19, 05:03 PM
I'm a little surprised at the number of tarp covered stands at Las Vegas. Have not been paying a lot of attention lately, but what is going on? The economy is better than 5-6 years ago and certainly better than 2008-9.

opinionated ow
03-03-19, 10:30 PM
I'm a little surprised at the number of tarp covered stands at Las Vegas. Have not been paying a lot of attention lately, but what is going on? The economy is better than 5-6 years ago and certainly better than 2008-9.
-Stages
-Lack of race day things to do...I mean it's one race and that's it.
-Lack of crashing...there was none at all in Vegas and I don't think there was any at Atlanta either.
-Lack of driver personality
-Lack of interest in cars from younger generations. I know people my age who are content to only go places where public transport goes...or then they whinge about the price of taxis/uber
-Lack of any significant resemblance to road cars?

These are just a guess. I've actually enjoyed most of the NASCAR races over the last few years. I hate the stages though. And unlike a few prominent people i don't think they need to fundamentally change the cars-just the looks. The bullet proof and cheap engine/driveline package works wonders.

Lux Interior
03-04-19, 07:17 AM
I took our son up to Michigan a few years ago. Snooze-fest. Like some of those F1 races back in the Schumacher days when he would run away from the field and everyone else just paraded around. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Plus the news cars - too homogenous.

My sister and her husband used to go to NASCAR back in the mid-70s. Whole different ballgame.

nrc
03-17-19, 12:21 AM
I hadn't even bothered to look at a NASCAR race since... I don't know when. Since before Ford started running "Mustangs". Just went over to their page to check that out. :eek::shakehead::laugh::rofl::rolleyes::saywhat::t ony:

Seriously? They may as well put SUV bodies on those silly things.

TravelGal
03-17-19, 12:51 PM
Just saw an article with subject line "Boos at NASCAR practice." How the mighty are falling.

G.
03-19-19, 06:09 PM
Just saw an article with subject line "Boos at NASCAR practice." How the mighty are falling.

Yep, perfectly situated for a smart series to swoop in and scoop up all of those disenfranchised fans.

Anyone know of one?

devilmaster
03-19-19, 08:02 PM
so wait.... last weekend, nobody qualified?

Like they don't do 1 car at a time anymore?

They do an open session, and because drafting is so important, nobody wanted to go out first, so nobody did?!?!?!?!???

JHC.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/nascar-qualifying-austin-dillon

Mary
04-07-19, 02:18 PM
Attendance at Bristol today (4/7/19) is sparse. Also, don't know if it is a different camera angle, but it is dizzying to watch. Lots of spins and wrecks already, though and it is only 41 miles in.

devilmaster
05-11-19, 10:46 PM
So thanks to the firestorm on twitter that David Land, racing vlogger started....

Nascar will be instituting a pause during the longest race they have, after the 2nd inning/period/sprint/whatevertheycallit, they will bring all cars down on pit road during the coca-cola 600 and stop them so that they can hold -another- moment of silence on Memorial day.

because someone might not remember they had a moment of silence before the first 300 miles ago?

Hey I'm ex-Navy, and am all for remembrance as my past posts here would show... but even I'm shaking my head at this one...

Now David Land thought/implied that NASCAR is doing this to try the thought of 'halftime', which they may institute next year... which of course started the flame war.

So my natural question is (after why?) when every other major American sport is looking to cut time to make their events shorter, other than tradition, why keep the races so long? You could argue in the old days that 500 miles was a test of machines to make better vehicles, but obviously most race cars nowadays can do this more easily than ever.

opinionated ow
05-12-19, 09:21 AM
So thanks to the firestorm on twitter that David Land, racing vlogger started....

Nascar will be instituting a pause during the longest race they have, after the 2nd inning/period/sprint/whatevertheycallit, they will bring all cars down on pit road during the coca-cola 600 and stop them so that they can hold -another- moment of silence on Memorial day.

because someone might not remember they had a moment of silence before the first 300 miles ago?

Hey I'm ex-Navy, and am all for remembrance as my past posts here would show... but even I'm shaking my head at this one...

Now David Land thought/implied that NASCAR is doing this to try the thought of 'halftime', which they may institute next year... which of course started the flame war.

So my natural question is (after why?) when every other major American sport is looking to cut time to make their events shorter, other than tradition, why keep the races so long? You could argue in the old days that 500 miles was a test of machines to make better vehicles, but obviously most race cars nowadays can do this more easily than ever.

WHat on earth for? I've watched a few World 600s in my time and I've never felt it disrespected veterans...

Duroc
04-07-20, 01:50 PM
Demographic core of the fan base aged out, and the France family progeny are idiots.

The same problems as mid-western open wheel twenty years ago, but at least CART presented a viable solution with the street race festivals.