PDA

View Full Version : Wickens Update

devilmaster
02-25-19, 10:22 PM
https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canadian-race-car-driver-left-paraplegic-by-crash-shares-video-of-him-standing-for-fianc%C3%A9e-1.4305751#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=GZXSUUD

TravelGal
02-27-19, 03:07 AM
Thanks for this, DM. When I first saw it, I was just glad to know that they had set a date! That bit of information had gotten lost in the shuffle for me.

Gopeddle
02-27-19, 11:26 AM
I sure hope he returns to the grid someday, he was a joy to watch. Glad to see such progress in his recovery. I'm not sure of the extent of his injuries but my gut is that had this happened a dozen years ago he wouldn't be standing right now. Good for Robbie!

Mary
03-03-19, 04:54 PM
He regularly posts updates on his progress on Twitter with videos. IMO, it is both wonderful and heartbreaking. I don't watch Indycar (okay, watched Alonso in the 500 a few years ago), don't know that I ever saw him race, but I'm pulling for him.

Gopeddle
03-04-19, 10:59 AM
He regularly posts updates on his progress on Twitter with videos. IMO, it is both wonderful and heartbreaking. I don't watch Indycar (okay, watched Alonso in the 500 a few years ago), don't know that I ever saw him race, but I'm pulling for him.

Yeah, I hear ya. I used to shoot motorsports professionally and I covered the CART & Champcar series. Those were great cars and great drivers for sure but it's starting to get interesting again. Rossi and Newgarden are bloody quick and Wickens was right there with them so he will be missed. But the series seems to have a lot of great talent again if you look at Bourdais, Dixon, Hunter-Reay, Pagenaud and the new crew including Colton Herta, Marcus Ericsson, Connor Daly and possibly Santino Ferrucci. The cars are better looking but still too slow for my taste.

TedN
07-14-19, 08:40 AM
This piece is excellent. Link (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-the-long-road-back-how-canadian-indycar-driver-robert-wickens-is/)

Ted

gerhard911
07-19-19, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I used to shoot motorsports professionally and I covered the CART & Champcar series. Those were great cars and great drivers for sure but it's starting to get interesting again. Rossi and Newgarden are bloody quick and Wickens was right there with them so he will be missed. But the series seems to have a lot of great talent again if you look at Bourdais, Dixon, Hunter-Reay, Pagenaud and the new crew including Colton Herta, Marcus Ericsson, Connor Daly and possibly Santino Ferrucci. The cars are better looking but still too slow for my taste.

What? The cars still suck, are so ugly not even a mother could love and the management is horrible. Driver talent is arguably slightly better but not compelling (even with Fred at endy).