PDA

View Full Version : Internet shopping annoyances

WickerBill
12-19-18, 12:59 PM
Just going to air some first world problems here

1. Stop sending me "How do you like your new <fill in the blank>?" emails before I have received the item.
2. Stop sending me "How do you like your new <fill in the blank>?" emails entirely when I ordered it in December. It's not for me. It hasn't been opened. I'm not leaving you a review.
3. For goodness sake, when I order a gift basket of cookies or chocolate, don't ask me if I liked it. I DO NOT BUY GIFT BASKETS FOR MYSELF. Nobody that I know of does this. Your basket could have been filled with bees. I'll likely *never know*.
4. Just because I purchased an end table does not mean I want to continue purchasing end tables. I am not collecting end tables. I needed one. Surely your AI can figure out that just because I once purchased an end table, this is not an indication that I want to continue looking at end tables.

I bet you have more....

chop456
12-20-18, 02:34 AM
"Click here to enlarge photo"
<click>
An identically-sized photo opens in a new tab.

"This item would be delivered by Dec 23rd"
<clicks to buy>
"Congratulations, your order will be delievered by January 7th"

And the converse of that, which would be great if it hadn't been ordered for a kid who's currently home from college:

"This item will be delivered by January 7th"
<clicks to buy on Saturday, Dec 15 >
Item shows up this morning, Dec 19th

At least Alexa has gone with spoiler-free delivery notifications for December. :tony:

P.S. I'm actually in the market for an end table. Please send me photos of your collection. There may be something I'm interested in.

nrc
12-20-18, 03:30 AM
1. No, I will not review your two dollar item. Please do not try to bribe me to review your two dollar item with a discount on my next two dollar item. I'm not the one who likes having a dozen phone covers anyway.

2. I realize that not everyone can handle logistics like Amazon. But why did you generate a shipping label three days before you shipped out the package? You realize I can see that, right?

3. Really? You shipped this fragile item in a padded envelope and just stuck a "Fragile" sticker on it?

Elmo T
12-20-18, 09:17 AM
3. Really? You shipped this fragile item in a padded envelope and just stuck a "Fragile" sticker on it?

Alternatively - "What is the box sitting on my porch? (box is 14"x7"x7").... why it is the pack of button batteries for the flameless candles"

SteveH
12-27-18, 11:38 PM
On Sunday evening I ordered a pastry ring for our Christmas morning brunch through Panera’s website for pick up on Christmas Eve afternoon. Of course my card was charged immediately. When I went to the store in the afternoon they did not have it. Nor did they have any pastry rings. I was told they probably ran out. :flaming:

I filed a complaint through their website. Today I received a response thanking me for bringing it to their attention. But no apology.

This is not how you do e-commerce.

cameraman
12-28-18, 04:18 PM
There's a Dominos just down the street from my house, easy garbage pizza. Put an online order in at 9:00 on Wednesday. Tracker on the website says cool person xyz has started your pizza. Then radio silence. No updates, nothing. Tried calling after waaay too long and no one picked up the phone. wtf. It's a 1 minute drive so since we didn't have anything else to eat I head down there. There's one guy in the store. No drivers. Seems the pizza hero was just deleting all the online delivery orders as they came in as he had no drivers. The printout of labels on the floor was about 20 feet long. A giant pile of credit card receipts on the counter, like a pile of raked leaves. The guy was making pizzas called in for pickup or ordered in store. Otherwise he was completely alone.

Their website did not allow him to change the status of the store, there was no way for him to prevent people from placing online delivery orders. All he could do was cancel them with no way to contact the customers as it deletes the contact info when he kills the order. Not that he had time to call dozens of customers even if he had the #. Their system just leaves the customers hanging. A corporation the size of Dominos should have better trouble handling.

SteveH
12-28-18, 05:11 PM
I had the opposite occur at the Starbucks that just opened close to me. I was ordering through their app just fine. Then the store disappeared, kind of. It appeared on the map of close by stores but wouldn't allow me to select it for an order. So I sent in an inquiry. Turns out the manager had toggled mobile ordering off in the system. I assume in error, but who knows? After a few days it now works.

SteveH
12-28-18, 05:16 PM
I began using the Deliveries app (https://junecloud.com/software/iphone/deliveries.html) on my iPhone in December. It consolidates and tracks all of your deliveries of items you've ordered over the internet. You have to 'plug in' the tracking number but other than that, nothing much is involved. I only purchased one Christmas gift in a store this year, so it came in quite handy to know ahead of time when packages were to be delivered. Amazon does a pretty good job of notifying you but many other e-commerce sites don't.

One less annoyance. :)