PDA

View Full Version : Forum Updates?

nrc
11-26-18, 01:52 PM
I'm considering moving to a different platform and if I do then it would make sense to take care of any updates or changes to the Forum software in that process. Any thoughts or preferences on what we're running now vs anything else you're seeing out there now?

SteveH
11-26-18, 05:32 PM
I used to be active on a forum using XenForo software with add ins from WMtech. By far the best I’ve seen. But I think it may be a little pricey.

WickerBill
11-26-18, 07:56 PM
How about I just tell you what I'd like to be able to do?

- drag and drop pictures / gifs into a message

- better native mobile support

i think that's actually it :)

nrc
11-27-18, 02:39 PM
How about I just tell you what I'd like to be able to do?

- drag and drop pictures / gifs into a message

- better native mobile support

i think that's actually it :)

Good points. I hate the way tapatalk has tried to co-opt forum users and monetize other people's communities so I'd like to avoid them in the future. Either some kind of native app integration or a better, fully functional mobile skin would be preferable.

Dvdb
11-28-18, 08:49 PM
How many users are we down to, say in a given month? I don’t think I would make any major changes, or costly changes at this stage. But minor tweaks in the name of improvement is always good.

nrc
12-03-18, 11:07 AM
How many users are we down to, say in a given month? I don’t think I would make any major changes, or costly changes at this stage. But minor tweaks in the name of improvement is always good.

I'm not sure but I can say that I haven't had any million dollar offers for the forum lately. I'm really thinking about my own piece of mind. I want to avoid letting things get so out of date that becomes a major problem if something breaks.

nrc
03-02-19, 02:47 PM
I've set the clock ticking on my current hosting account so I'll be moving the forum to an AWS server sometime in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately it looks there is a gap between the last version of vBulletin that is supported on our current server and the earliest version supported on our new server. D'oh!

I can still get past that with an OS upgrade. It just creates more outages and potential breakage along the way. There will be forum closures during maintenance. I'll do my best to give notice and avoid "no response" situations but there may be brief periods where it can't be avoided.

Please bare with us while we make this transition.

cameraman
03-02-19, 06:46 PM
Please bare with us while we make this transition.

You really want us to get naked for this?

TravelGal
03-02-19, 08:31 PM
You really want us to get naked for this?

:laugh::laugh: I thought the same thing. :laugh::laugh:

nrc
03-03-19, 03:05 AM
Ha. :laugh: If you like, but we don't need any evidence.

I meant to check that because I can never remember which homonym is correct. I suppose I should try to remember that a bear could bear with us but never bare with us. Because who wants to shave a bear?