PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to GMail?

TravelGal
10-02-18, 01:22 PM
Now that half the world has switched to GMail it seems, GMail has changed enough that I just can't stand it. The "new" format is ugly and takes 400x the time to load. What are the cognoscenti (you guys) using these days for your email?

cameraman
10-02-18, 02:58 PM
What software are you using to read your mail? Outlook?

You can always use either Zimbra or Thunderbird to access your Gmail account if you want to change the look/functionality of your email. They're both free and work well with both Windows 10 and Gmail.

TravelGal
10-02-18, 07:14 PM
What software are you using to read your mail? Outlook?

You can always use either Zimbra or Thunderbird to access your Gmail account if you want to change the look/functionality of your email. They're both free and work well with both Windows 10 and Gmail.

Not an Outlook user. Sorry for being so dense but I just put www.mail.google.com into Firefox. The response time changed when GMail changed its look. Every other website, email (I have many) is exactly the same. Just Gmail slowed to a crawl. GRRRRR. You're the second person to mention Thunderbird to me in the last two weeks. I'm getting the message that I should look into it.

WickerBill
10-02-18, 07:41 PM
GMail is still absolutely lightning quick for me....

RusH
10-06-18, 07:03 PM
If you want no ads, and support you have to pay. I recommend Fastmail or Protonmail.

One is fast, the other is one uber secure.I use Gmail too, but not for anything serious.

TravelGal
10-10-18, 03:12 PM
GMail is still absolutely lightning quick for me....

Thanks, WB. I'm getting the drift that something's amiss with my desktop, which isn't helping matters. Or just an old, old video card.

If you want no ads, and support you have to pay. I recommend Fastmail or Protonmail.

One is fast, the other is one uber secure.I use Gmail too, but not for anything serious.

Thanks. Good point. I'll investigate as soon as get back from my weekend in N'Awlins.

Hard Driver
10-14-18, 08:43 AM
Personally, I use outlook.com. There is a free version. I pay of a home version of Office365. Yes, it is $100 a year. This also gives you 1TB of OneDrive to store your files, and current copies of the whole MS Office Suite, both online version and installed versions.

The reason why GMail is free is because your information is what you pay with. They scan all your emails and files and track everything about you and sell it to anyone. Sorry, I would rather actually pay for the services I need, and maintain a semblance of privacy.

Hard Driver
10-14-18, 08:49 AM
Thanks, WB. I'm getting the drift that something's amiss with my desktop, which isn't helping matters. Or just an old, old video card.

Thanks. Good point. I'll investigate as soon as get back from my weekend in N'Awlins.

For just web browsing and email, you don't need a fancy video card. You might want to download the free version of Malwarebytes and scan your machine for malware. I would then suggest you uninstall it afterwards, because it will try to get you to buy the premium version and will load a virus scanner on your machine. Hopefully you already have an anti-virus program that is up to date, but Malwarebytes is a good way to scan to make your you don't have any funny stuff on your machine. It does not install any malware or toolbars or anything on your machine and will uninstall cleanly after you do the scan.