PDA

View Full Version : College Football 2018

nrc
09-30-18, 02:26 AM
Yow. Heck of a battle between the Buckeyes and Penn State. I really didn't think that the Bucks were going to pull that one out. Haskins struggled with the pressure early but found his footing late for the comeback. :eek:

The Nittany Lions really pulled a Fezzik on that last play call.

WickerBill
09-30-18, 12:55 PM
No offense to the Ohio contingent here, but Penn State seems to have a much bigger upside if they had made the playoff. After watching last night I don't feel like OSU can hang with the big boys in the playoff... which stinks for the Big Ten.

SteveH
09-30-18, 04:35 PM
Was not impressed with Penn State's defense, especially their ability to tackle.

nrc
10-01-18, 03:50 PM
No offense to the Ohio contingent here, but Penn State seems to have a much bigger upside if they had made the playoff. After watching last night I don't feel like OSU can hang with the big boys in the playoff... which stinks for the Big Ten.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that. Not that I didn't have some doubts during the game.

The number one reason is Dwayne Haskins. This kid is the real deal. He could be the the best passing quarterback we've seen at Ohio State in decades. His arm strength, accuracy, and touch have been uncanny. He struggled early in the game dealing with the noise and the challenges that presents but he got comfortable enough at the end to make plays when he had to.

He can play better than he did Saturday. Consider that Haskin's upside is the reason the Buckeyes went with him over Burrow, who is now leading the 5th ranked LSU Tigers.

The number two reason is the Buckeye receivers. They've been dropping too many balls - that can improve.

The number three reason is the defensive line. Chase Young emerged as a force in that game and Nick Bosa should be back by late in the season.

Overall, it's still a young team and I think they can continue to improve. But I agree that they'll need to improve if they're going to have a shot in the play-offs. Or for that matter, just getting there. They're still in a position right now where they're vulnerable to an upset in the Big Ten.

chop456
10-02-18, 02:59 AM
Burrow, who is now leading the 5th ranked LSU Tigers.

Impressive that a kid can put in all the time to research a transfer like that. Checking out the department for your major, evaluating it against your current school, checking out research opportunities and seeing which credits will transfer and whether the school will be a good overall fit. Good for him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

And yes, that was a great game. Watched the whole thing. Too bad Northwestern coughed up the waffle earlier in the day.

nrc
10-13-18, 05:58 PM
I have to say that so far the Buckeyes aren't showing any progress on the aforementioned upside. Right now they're not good enough at linebacker or on the offensive line to be competitive in a playoff. It may not be a problem because at this rate they're not going to win the Big 10.

Lux Interior
10-14-18, 07:02 PM
Michigan is going to be the big test. They are starting to look good. Regarding the current struggles, Urban M is the undisputed master of making adjustments, and this team has a lot of talent.

Lux Interior
10-20-18, 11:57 PM
Urban M is the undisputed master of making adjustments, and this team has a lot of talent.

After tonight, maybe not so much....:D

nrc
10-21-18, 12:16 AM
Well that was really horrible.

Forget about getting better, the Buckeyes are getting worse. They have no running game because the offensive line can't move anyone off the line of scrimmage. A good chunk of the time it's moot because they're moving backwards because of mental mistakes.

Bosa is gone and the usual team speed at linebacker is missing. Unless Myer can pull a rabbit out of his hat they're battling for a slot in the Holiday Bowl at this point.

I have to think that the early season drama affected Myer and the team more than we know.

Lux Interior
10-21-18, 12:35 AM
OSU's problem is that they lose all of their great talent early to the NFL draft. Nick Bosa being out doesn't help either.

Tonight was the worst though. Even the Outback Bowl loss to S Carolina in 2000 wasn't as bad as this.

WickerBill
10-21-18, 06:47 AM
As the resident Boilermaker on this forum, let me say: that was awesome, amazing, and so much fun to watch.

Wins against Ohio State since 2000: Purdue 5, Michigan 3.

I don’t get a lot of time to enjoy wins like this, so let me have it. I’m sure our excellent head coach will be at Auburn or Texas Tech next year. Sigh.

SteveH
10-21-18, 09:04 AM

SteveH
10-21-18, 11:10 AM
The Traveling The (http://edsbs.wikia.com/wiki/The_Traveling_The)

:D

nrc
10-22-18, 10:03 AM
As the resident Boilermaker on this forum, let me say: that was awesome, amazing, and so much fun to watch.

I don’t get a lot of time to enjoy wins like this, so let me have it. I’m sure our excellent head coach will be at Auburn or Texas Tech next year. Sigh.

Hats off to the Boilermakers. They outplayed the Buckeyes in pretty much every facet.

Insomniac
10-25-18, 02:54 AM

Or Ohio State. :gomer:

SteveH
10-25-18, 09:50 PM

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/jeff-brohm-on-job-rumors-i-don-t-people-realize-how-good-it-is-here-

WickerBill
10-26-18, 10:11 AM
https://purdue.rivals.com/news/jeff-brohm-on-job-rumors-i-don-t-people-realize-how-good-it-is-here-

Please please please please please....

Lux Interior
10-28-18, 07:55 AM
Purdue's poor offensive performance against MSU yesterday, coupled with TCU currently being 3-5, is bad for the Buckeyes.

Michigan's lone week one loss against Notre Dame looks much better.

Two big tests coming tough - MSU on the Road, and U of M at home.

Speaking of U of M, I was in Ann Arbor on Friday. This place is awesome if you ever get up there:

https://www.zingermansdeli.com/

nrc
11-03-18, 09:35 PM
After watching the Buckeyes struggle to get back Nebraska I stand by my Holiday Bowl prediction. I think it's unlikely that they'll get through the next three games without another loss and going 1-2 in these last three isn't out of the question.

SteveH
11-15-18, 03:01 PM

https://twitter.com/dandakich/status/1063139976777482240

:(

SteveH
11-15-18, 05:09 PM
who knows?
https://twitter.com/rickbozich/status/1063175077288656896

SteveH
11-16-18, 01:35 AM
Brohm says not true
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OdKrRalYWQKX

nrc
11-24-18, 07:50 PM
Big win for the Buckeyes today. I'm still not convinced that they should be a contender for the playoff. Haskins continues to play outstanding but this is the first game where I've seen the offensive line look capable and I'm not convinced they can do it on a neutral field.

Ditto the defense.

Insomniac
11-26-18, 01:52 AM
If everyone wins as they should, looks like it will be OU or OSU for the 4th spot. I'd like to thank ND for not being in a conference again.

nrc
12-02-18, 10:25 PM
The Buckeyes get left out of the playoffs and it's probably for the best. They need to get the message that there aren't enough people outside of Ohio who think they should be allowed to sleep walk through the soft parts of their schedule and them put them in the playoffs because they showed up in the big games and checked the boxes.

The only regret that I have is that there's an outside chance that Haskins could have put this team on his shoulders and carried it to a National Championship. His play the last few weeks has been stellar. Instead, barring a disastrous Rose Bowl it sounds like he'll probably ride off into the NFL sunset with a bunch of records after just one season as a starter.

Lux Interior
12-04-18, 12:24 AM
He's gone to the NFL for sure. Happy the Bucks are in the Rose Bowl. That is a good game for them.

TravelGal
01-02-19, 02:14 PM
Be it known that I start watching every game about an hour after it begins.

Rose Bowl. Last 3/16 interesting (last part of the 4th quarter). Rest: Yawn, except for the bands at halftime. Thank Goodness for fast forward. Couldn't help but be glad for the spirit of dando though.
Orange Bowl. For some reason, always more important to me than the Rose Bowl though the announcers, ugh. Thank Goodness for volume control. Last 60 seconds interesting. Favorite comment of the ENTIRE day from the duller of the two booth dudes to the referees, "PLEASE don't speak again." :laugh::laugh:

nrc
01-03-19, 12:02 AM
Happy to see the Bucks send Urban Myer out with a Rose Bowl win. For an old school Buckeyes fan that means something. But the fact that they let Huskies creep back into the game in the late going confirms that they didn't belong in the playoff.

Now we're all just waiting on Haskins.

Insomniac
01-21-19, 11:39 AM
Who thought the championship game in the Bay Area would be a good idea? The weather is average at best in January. Good for fans in the area, but that's about it.