PDA

View Full Version : Where to sit in Monaco

TravelGal
08-12-18, 01:22 PM
I'm looking into setting up a group on a cruise that stops in Monaco for the day on May 26, the day of the F1 final. No, it's not a coincidence that I chose that cruise. ;)

I'm now grazing around the Formula 1 website looking at ticket prices for Sunday only. Highest VIP is 3929 euro (twice the price of the cruise) down to less than 600 euro. My question is, has anyone been there or read enough to know where one might see enough to make it worthwhile? That is, what is the price point below which it a waste of money and over which you can enjoy the race? Choices are Main Straight, Monte Carlo, Bureau de Tabac, Pool Complex, Rascasse, Le Rocher/General Admission

Another question. It says TBC, for all of 2019. Opinions requested on whether this *famous* race is likely to change dates. Once I book the group, I can't change THAT.

Merci.

TravelGal
08-14-18, 08:52 PM
RacerMike says "Pool" Any other suggestions?

gerhard911
08-14-18, 10:13 PM
You think anybody here can afford Monaco? :rofl:

Certainly not me! :p

TravelGal
08-15-18, 07:47 PM
You think anybody here can afford Monaco? :rofl:

Certainly not me! :p

I hear ya but one never knows. Racermike has been as a corner worker. I thought a few others that used to post, and may still read, here had gone. OR, you've read enough about it, seen diagrams, watched it on TV enough to have an opinion. I haven't. It's one reason I'm keen to go. As an aside, there seem to be decent seats at $800 each (not IndyCar prices, that's for sure) and the 7-night cruise is about $2,000 each. A bucket list trip for sure but you never know who has what on their bucket list.

SteveH
08-15-18, 09:04 PM
I’d love to do this. Someday. I’ve heard of Grand Prix Tours. But their packages and ticket prices are a bit stout.
https://www.gptours.com/raceinfo-Monaco-Grand-Prix

TravelGal
08-16-18, 12:04 PM
SteveH, once again, you come through. I've also checked out Grand Prix Tours over the years but it I hadn't looked at it this week. Good for comparison of what I'm planning. Guess I'll set up that group after all. :thumbup:

Rus'L
08-27-18, 05:54 PM
I'm looking into setting up a group on a cruise that stops in Monaco for the day on May 26, the day of the F1 final. No, it's not a coincidence that I chose that cruise. ;)

I'm now grazing around the Formula 1 website looking at ticket prices for Sunday only. Highest VIP is 3929 euro (twice the price of the cruise) down to less than 600 euro. My question is, has anyone been there or read enough to know where one might see enough to make it worthwhile? That is, what is the price point below which it a waste of money and over which you can enjoy the race? Choices are Main Straight, Monte Carlo, Bureau de Tabac, Pool Complex, Rascasse, Le Rocher/General Admission

Another question. It says TBC, for all of 2019. Opinions requested on whether this *famous* race is likely to change dates. Once I book the group, I can't change THAT.

Merci.

Monaco dates are locked in YEARS in advance. Pretty much forever.

TravelGal
08-28-18, 12:27 AM
Monaco dates are locked in YEARS in advance. Pretty much forever.

Thanks, Rus'L for confirming what I thought. I set up the group. Tall Sails and Fast Cars, I call it. PM me if you want to join in! Next I need to be sure I can get a ticket for myself. Do they sell out in a snap? Will I have time or do I have to be ready to order the second they go on sale?

SteveH
08-29-18, 09:44 AM
Monaco used to be held the week of Ascension Day or about 40 days following Easter, which itself is not a static date. It is now the final week in May.

Rus'L
09-17-18, 02:03 PM
Monaco used to be held the week of Ascension Day or about 40 days following Easter, which itself is not a static date. It is now the final week in May.

True. I still thought it was set like that until a few months ago when I read that Bernie worked out an agreement a few years ago with Monaco to keep the date fixed.

TravelGal: As for tickets, I don't know. There are always agencies that sometimes just sell tickets (without the packages) with no mark up. Having said that, I was once advised if you have a choice between buying them directly from the track versus the official F1 site, go through the track. (I can't say anything about the aforementioned agencies.) When I went to Abu Dhabi, I bought through the track with the early bird discount.