PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar 2019 schedule

SteveH
07-15-18, 12:24 PM
IndyCar poised to leave Sonoma Raceway for Monterey’s Laguna Seca
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/8530759-181/indycar-poised-to-leave-sonoma?sba=AAS

Some interesting facts about the financials of the Sonoma race :eek:

Hard Driver
07-15-18, 10:31 PM
Laguna Seca, or Mazda Raceway, is a great track, so I am happy it is on the schedule.

opinionated ow
07-16-18, 04:34 AM
Laguna Seca, or Mazda Raceway, is a great track, so I am happy it is on the schedule.

Weathertech Laguna Seca these days. Apparently the Mazda title sponsorship ended up costing the track a bomb. Sonoma is in the middle of nowhere as far as I'm aware

SteveH
07-16-18, 09:32 AM
Two months ago I drove through the Sonoma area from Petaluma to Napa, which would be north of the track. Heavy traffic congestion. I was really surprised at how populated that area is. Actually I was disappointed at how developed the Napa valley was. Even if the track doesn't draw from San Francisco, Santa Rosa to Sacramento and all points in between should provide a decent crowd. There's a lot of people living in that area. And the same goes for Laguna Seca, just further to the south. However I question if the demographics of San Francisco, Palo Alto and Cupertino constitutes races fans which would impact either track.

Chief
07-16-18, 01:31 PM
Getting away from NASCAR at Sears Point surely has to help. Wasn't it Sears Point that came on the schedule BECAUSE Nascar was there...in the hopes of invading their fan base?

How'd that work out? :laugh:

Lux Interior
07-17-18, 03:36 PM
Glad to see Laguna back on the schedule. Much better track than Sonoma IMHO.

nissan gtp
07-19-18, 09:42 PM
Glad to see Laguna back on the schedule. Much better track than Sonoma IMHO.

Got to agree, even though the later races at Laguna sucked.

Gopeddle
07-20-18, 02:25 PM
I love Laguna Seca, now if they can only get the Glen back on the schedule and add Road Atlanta I'll be a very happy camper.

nrc
07-25-18, 03:01 AM
Weathertech Laguna Seca these days. Apparently the Mazda title sponsorship ended up costing the track a bomb. Sonoma is in the middle of nowhere as far as I'm aware

How so? Just not a good deal or did it kill other sponsorship opportunities? Weathertech Laguna Seca doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. Not the stuff of legends.

Ah well, they're all club racing tracks these days.

opinionated ow
07-25-18, 05:50 AM
How so? Just not a good deal or did it kill other sponsorship opportunities? Weathertech Laguna Seca doesn't exactly roll of the tongue. Not the stuff of legends.

I read an interview with the new CEO of SCRAMP on racer. At least I think that was who it was and where I read it!

Found the article: https://racer.com/2018/03/22/weathertech-raceway-laguna-seca-to-launch-in-april/

nissan gtp
07-25-18, 09:07 AM

At least they kept the name, unlike the new name for Mosport.