PDA

View Full Version : Ink jet or Laser Jet Printer?

TravelGal
06-25-18, 01:34 PM
As you grow weary of the assistance thread, I thought I'd ask this separately. I have an inkjet. I've cleaned the rollers a few times but it is making pretty noticeable squeals anyway. I see a new printer in my future. Best Buy dude says Laser Jet is more economical. I need color. Want speed. About 500 impressions a month, nearly all printing from the computer, not copies. I've had HP for decades. Any reason to change?

SteveH
06-25-18, 02:25 PM
A couple of years ago I purchased a Canon MF8280Cw. I’ve been very pleased with its print quality but it is noisy. I’m not specifically recommending this to you however it has a feature that I do recommend. It supports WiFi printing, specifically AirPrint for Apple devices. I am really surprised how often it use that feature. I will never buy another printer without it. Even if you don’t have an Apple phone or tablet, I’m sure there are comparable solutions for what you use.

cameraman
06-25-18, 04:12 PM
I've got an HP Color LaserJet CP2025N. Duplex & color.

Once you have a laser printer there's no way you will ever go back. I'd sell a kidney first....

SteveH
06-25-18, 05:30 PM
I've got an HP Color LaserJet CP2025N. Duplex & color.

Once you have a laser printer there's no way you will ever go back. I'd sell a kidney first....

totally agree

TravelGal
06-25-18, 06:30 PM
Thanks, guys. Laser it is and, yes, definitely with wifi. Thanks for reminding me.

JoeBob
06-26-18, 08:42 AM
I rarely print anything. I got a cheap Brother monochrome wireless laser printer and it's perfect: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763WDSYZ/

Ink dries out if you don't use it. Toner doesn't. And with this, I can print from my phone or tablet. It says it comes with a starter toner cartridge that isn't completely full. That's true. But I've still not run out of toner.

nrc
06-29-18, 12:08 PM
I went with a Brother color laser a couple of years ago. The caveat is that while they're great for text and graphics, they're not good for photos. I think most people are probably better off with a laser printer and just printing photos at... wherever people print photos these days.

The caveat is that while the toner is cheaper per page than ink refills, a color laser can be pricey to refill if all four toner colors need to be replaced at once.

indyfan31
07-02-18, 11:30 AM
. . . Ink dries out if you don't use it. Toner doesn't. And with this, I can print from my phone or tablet.

I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with this. I have two Epson inkjets (artisan 835 & stylus pro 3880). My desktop printer sits for days, sometimes weeks without use and doesn't clog. My photo printer sits for months at a time, still using some of the original ink cartridges, and 5 years later still had not clogged.

That said, the price of inkjet cartridges is absurd.

nrc
07-02-18, 02:27 PM
I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with this. I have two Epson inkjets (artisan 835 & stylus pro 3880). My desktop printer sits for days, sometimes weeks without use and doesn't clog. My photo printer sits for months at a time, still using some of the original ink cartridges, and 5 years later still had not clogged.

I don't know if it's still true but it in the past Epson inkjets were less prone to clogging because of their print head technology. That makes them less picky about ink expiration, I think. Epson was never as naggy about ink expiration as HP. HP printers detect expired ink and I don't know if they'll even let you try to print with it now. I'm sure we'll find out the next time we try to use our inkjet.

cameraman
07-03-18, 01:21 PM

If you live in an arid area like Utah they will dry out if they sit for any length of time.

JohnHKart
07-07-18, 01:24 AM
I think someone on here told me a laser. Still going strong 14 years later w the HP I bought and only on the second cartridge. Hardly ever print anymore or print set lists since getting a smartphone in 2011.