PDA

View Full Version : Travel story time

WickerBill
06-08-18, 03:38 AM
On Wednesday, I arrived in London for an extremely short business trip. I was to depart on Friday morning. The company that brought me here wanted to impress me, and so I was booked into the nicest hotel in the city - the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park.

Got in at something like 9am on Wednesday. I hadn't slept well on the plane (I never do), so I checked in and got my room, fortunately. It was an amazing room. Great view of Hyde Park, but all I cared about at that point was the shower and the bed.

Both were magnificent.

There was a card on the table saying they were going to have a fire drill at 11:45am Wednesday, so I set my alarm for 11:30, but when it went off, I killed it and slept another hour. Never heard the fire drill alarm - whatever, I felt great. But I was hungry...

I got dressed and headed out to a beautiful, sunny day (how often can you say that in London?), wandered just a few minutes down the street and bought and consumed a sandwich.

Returned to the hotel and noticed some black smoke coming from the top. Then more black smoke. Then an INCREDIBLE amount of black smoke, plus ash and soot falling all over me. My hotel was on fire.

https://m.imgur.com/hVCBdu0

It became clear pretty quickly that this was not something small or isolated. As I moved further away to escape the smoke and ash, I started thinking.... my passport is in there. And my car keys. And my laptop. And all my clothes. All I had on me was my wallet and my phone.

So the last day and a half has been a blur of visiting department stores buying clothes, phone charger, etc... and setting up appointments with the US Embassy to try to get an emergency passport so I could get home. The Mandarin put me up at the Four Seasons down the street, which, you know, is nice - but it's a little weird when all you have is a Debenhams bag with one day's worth of clothes and some ibuprofen.

Then the darndest thing happened. About 20 minutes before my embassy interview, the Mandarin called. We've salvaged your passport. Holy salvation, what a massive relief. It was a little wet and a lot smoky. I didn't bother to ask how they found it - it was inside my laptop backpack, but apparently they sent someone in on a mission to find passports and medicine in each room that was structurally sound.

Then, about 8pm last night, the darndestest thing happened. Knock at my Four Seasons door. Dude in Mandarin Oriental uniform standing there... with my backpack and my suitcase. Every stitch of clothing inside the bag had been laundered or dry cleaned. He thanked me for my "patience" (I told him I never expected to see any of that stuff again - I wasn't really exhibiting patience).

Apparently my room was in fairly good shape, and only one sprinkler head had gone off (close to the backpack, but not the suitcase), and it had only run for a few seconds.

Anyway - that's my story. I'm sitting in Heathrow, ready... so very ready... to come home. Passport and belongings in hand. :)

SteveH
06-08-18, 10:06 AM
:thumbup:

TravelGal
06-08-18, 12:07 PM
Good grief, WB. Good grief. In true Forrest Gump fashion, that's all I have to day about that!

nrc
06-08-18, 08:40 PM
Action video just so we know that he's not making this all up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-44389565

Glad it worked out ok and you're safe.

WickerBill
06-08-18, 10:30 PM
https://image.ibb.co/g7LV08/fire1.gif

Finally. Here's a quick video loop that I took before I realized I had embers falling on me.

TravelGal
06-08-18, 10:54 PM
"A huge fire broke out at a luxury hotel in central London a week after "the most extensive restoration in its 115-year history" was completed." This is not the first hotel this has happened to. It happened to The Ritz in Paris in January of 2016 after a 3 1/2 year renovation. Coincidence? Hmmm.

Ed_Severson
06-11-18, 07:11 PM
Scheduling an actual fire to go along with your fire drill is a pretty good way to get people to take the fire drill seriously, though perhaps a little passive aggressive. At any rate, well done to the Mandarin for practicing gametime conditions.

Also, glad you and your stuff made it through. ;)

WickerBill
06-12-18, 08:13 AM
A traveling colleague - a cowboy wannabe from deep southern Texas - did say to the poor hotel manager "y'all take your fire drills way too serious over here"

Elmo T
06-12-18, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear you are ok - things can be replaced but not people.

If the sprinkler went off in your room, there was fire (or at least heat) in the room. They are heat activated.

I know we have a lot of travelers here - please please please evacuate when that annoying fire alarm goes off at 2AM.

Hard to believe they permitted a flammable interior finish...

London Fire Brigade today said: “The fire is believed to have been caused by the by-product of arc welding landing on the felt lining of the planting facade.”

The hotel had installed “green living walls” across five facades of its inner courtyard as part of its renovation.

London Ambulance Service reported that no injuries resulted from the blaze, which saw 36 hotel guests and 250 hotel staff evacuated, with a huge plume of smoke visible across West London.

The fire is believed to have spread across the vertical facade for plants and vegetation and into several floors of the hotel, before it was eventually brought under control at 9.51pm. The external planting facade was damaged along with small parts of several floors of the hotel, the roof and plant machinery on the roof.