PDA

View Full Version : 2018 F1 Race Thread

WickerBill
03-24-18, 09:32 AM
Bottas in the fence, everyone in Hamilton's mirrors.

Ricciardo's penalty is ludicrous.

Haas looks great!

Should be an interesting race tomorrow... .at least behind P1.

gjc2
03-24-18, 11:33 AM
The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language . . . . I don’t know who said that, but at times I wished for American commentary (with an English accent is OK)

I really dislike the look of those halos.

What’s with McLaren? Not a lot better than they would have been with Honda.

Hard Driver
03-24-18, 06:08 PM
Damn the cars are ugly. Halo looks stupid. They even have to move the starting lights because the drivers can't see them.

I agree, Maybe the problems at McLaren weren't all engine.

WickerBill
03-24-18, 06:42 PM
Alonso said Australia would be the low point of the year, but big things are coming. He even said "race win" - and the guy hasn't been exactly upbeat the last couple of years. Hope he's right.

It'll also be interesting to see if Bottas can move up through the field like the Mercedes could last year. The midfield seems so much stronger.

SteveH
03-24-18, 07:07 PM
I’d love to see Alonso win this year. That would mean 4 very competitive teams fighting for the podium.

Hard Driver
03-25-18, 10:23 AM
I would call that a pretty boring race. What were there, like 3 passes on track in the entire race anywhere in the field. Hamilton in the fastest car on track couldn't even challenge Vettel after the virtual safety car gave Vettel the lead.... oh so exciting. Feel bad for Haas, I guess they will be working on pit stops this week.

Insomniac
03-25-18, 03:43 PM
I would call that a pretty boring race. What were there, like 3 passes on track in the entire race anywhere in the field. Hamilton in the fastest car on track couldn't even challenge Vettel after the virtual safety car gave Vettel the lead.... oh so exciting. Feel bad for Haas, I guess they will be working on pit stops this week.

It's the usual. Cars can't get that close at times. If this race is any indication, the cars won't be much different from last year. Where there were boring parades, there will still be boring parades and when there was a lot of passing, there will be a lot of passing.

WickerBill
03-25-18, 04:35 PM
I wish there was a way to mandate an "airflow cleaner" (Hanford Device, but way better) behind every car, so the car behind had a chance to cut through smoother air.

I don't think McLaren can win a race this year, unless maybe it's catastrophically wet, but I bet they're relieved seeing Honda behind even Sauber.

Wish they had a Mercedes engine.

Insomniac
03-25-18, 07:27 PM
I wish there was a way to mandate an "airflow cleaner" (Hanford Device, but way better) behind every car, so the car behind had a chance to cut through smoother air.

I don't think McLaren can win a race this year, unless maybe it's catastrophically wet, but I bet they're relieved seeing Honda behind even Sauber.

Wish they had a Mercedes engine.

I think Ross Brawn is working on trying to have regulations that will achieve that.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/formula-1-seeks-create-passing-committee

So you don't believe Alonso when he says Australia is the low point?

WickerBill
03-25-18, 08:42 PM
I do believe him. But I think today, he was fortunate to get to 5th, and was clearly holding up traffic - by mid-season, hopefully he's actually fighting and passing people for 5th or 4th.

Insomniac
03-26-18, 01:47 AM
How much engine development does everyone think Red Bull is doing?

WickerBill
03-28-18, 06:09 AM

It can't be anything beyond intake, exhaust, and packaging, can it?

opinionated ow
03-29-18, 05:56 AM

I'd say none given they don't make their own engine ;)

Insomniac
03-31-18, 06:18 PM
It can't be anything beyond intake, exhaust, and packaging, can it?

I thought maybe fabricating replacement parts if they knew where the weaker ones were. I asked because Alonso (and others) felt they had a very good car and the engine would show that, but if they aren't any faster than Red Bull, I don't think their car was nearly as good as they thought. But it's one race, we'll see.

Rus'L
04-03-18, 04:14 PM
The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language . . . . I don’t know who said that, but at times I wished for American commentary (with an English accent is OK)

George Bernard Shaw.

Though no one has actually been able to find it...

WickerBill
04-12-18, 08:44 AM
Two races in thoughts:

- Bottas is maybe the 12th best driver on the grid
- Mercedes didn't get rid of the "diva" car like they thought they had
- Renault engines should be faster than they are, five seasons in to the hybrid era
- Williams.... WOOF
- Tires are stupid. Bring back two compounds per race plus wets. Call them prime and option, or soft and hard, or Turner and Hooch. It's an abomination of the English language that the "soft" tire is the fourth-softest compound, and that the one called "ultra soft" isn't the softest. Let Pirelli choose the actual compound that is "soft" for each circuit, but just have white and red sidewalls regardless. Otherwise next year we'll have a "kitten soft" or something equally ridiculous.
- Max is not yet champion material. He's got too much Kobayashi in him.

indyfan31
04-12-18, 11:02 AM
Max is not yet champion material. He's got too much Kobayashi in him.

Boy Howdy! :thumbup:

Rus'L
04-13-18, 02:19 PM
- Renault engines should be faster than they are, five seasons in to the hybrid era.

Just think, Renault were the ones who pushed hardest for the hybrid rules.

WickerBill
04-15-18, 03:35 PM
That race had absolutely everything I like about F1 today.

- Hamilton not really competitive
- Vettel getting spun
- Verstappen Max-ing himself
- Ricciardo amazing passes

And I love Mothers Polish.

Insomniac
04-15-18, 05:41 PM
That race had absolutely everything I like about F1 today.

- Hamilton not really competitive
- Vettel getting spun
- Verstappen Max-ing himself
- Ricciardo amazing passes

And I love Mothers Polish.

How long has it been since Ferrari had a good race manager? They're terrible. And Vettel driving Kimi way offline on the start is a bad way to win the constructor's championship. Safety car timing turned the race from a boring parade to some actual racing.

gjc2
04-29-18, 08:23 AM
How about if they award one world championship point to any driver who can make it through the first lap without hitting anyone?

chop456
04-30-18, 12:43 AM
Let Pirelli choose the actual compound that is "soft" for each circuit, but just have white and red sidewalls regardless. Otherwise next year we'll have a "kitten soft" or something equally ridiculous.

I'd be happy with Charmin or Snuggle.

Mary
05-13-18, 09:21 AM
How about if they award one world championship point to any driver who can make it through the first lap without hitting anyone?

SPOILER...

Another first lap kerfuffle in the Spanish GP.

Mary

cameraman
05-13-18, 02:57 PM
That race was rather boring.

The cars sorted by true speed within a couple of laps and the differences between teams were large enough that no one could do anything.

Does anyone at Ferrari know how to manage a race?

Insomniac
05-27-18, 05:31 PM
Today was just bad. Lewis Hamilton had it right, "least interesting race". The leader was 3s off the pace and no one could do anything about it. And as he backed everyone up behind him, no one could pass anyone. Ricciardo was very fortunate their problem was at Monaco. The cars never really reach top speed and so he was down 20 km/h to Vettel for less than a second.

WickerBill
05-28-18, 08:37 AM
The brilliance of that Red Bull chassis is something to behold. If Renault ever got to power parity - or at least as close as they were in 2010-2013 - Ricciardo would win constantly.

Red Bull signed the wrong driver, btw. Daniel is an all-around ace. Might be the best driver in F1. Max seems to be a one-trick pony (stupid fast when he catches lightning in a bottle)

chop456
05-28-18, 08:47 AM
His practice crash was pathetic, too. Looked like he forgot to put one of his contacts in.

Insomniac
05-28-18, 02:44 PM
The brilliance of that Red Bull chassis is something to behold. If Renault ever got to power parity - or at least as close as they were in 2010-2013 - Ricciardo would win constantly.

Red Bull signed the wrong driver, btw. Daniel is an all-around ace. Might be the best driver in F1. Max seems to be a one-trick pony (stupid fast when he catches lightning in a bottle)

And that's why they'll never get a Ferrari or Mercedes engine.

It's going to be intriguing to see where he ends up. I think Mercedes may be the best place to go to win. Not sure he wants to be teammates with Vettel again, especially at Ferrari. Is Ferrari even trying to sign him?

Insomniac
06-11-18, 12:19 AM
The race was a parade and they could have DRS the whole lap and it wouldn't matter. :shakehead:

Hard Driver
06-11-18, 08:49 PM
The race was a parade and they could have DRS the whole lap and it wouldn't matter. :shakehead:

2nd that.

WickerBill
06-12-18, 08:11 AM
I agree that the aero off the back of the car presents problems, but Canada was a tire problem. As evidenced by RIC suddenly going 2 full seconds quicker right at the end of the race, everyone was babying their tires, which inhibited attacking driving.

Canada needs to be a two-stop race, period. However that is achieved. This would allow the drivers to care far less about the tires, because they're coming off anyway. Heck, at this point I'm about ready to say I'm pro-mandate when it comes to multiple stops per race. Make Canada a three stopper. Just get tire conservation off the plate.

TravelGal
06-12-18, 03:06 PM
I just read they waived the checkered flag a lap early. :shakehead: And we think the IRK has problems. :rolleyes:

gjc2
06-12-18, 06:40 PM
I just read they waived the checkered flag a lap early. :shakehead: And we think the IRK has problems. :rolleyes:

There inadvertently ending the race a lap early costs Daniel Ricciardo the fastest lap, it instead went to Verstappen

SteveH
06-19-18, 10:44 AM
Red Bull goes Honda

Insomniac
06-20-18, 04:21 AM
I agree that the aero off the back of the car presents problems, but Canada was a tire problem. As evidenced by RIC suddenly going 2 full seconds quicker right at the end of the race, everyone was babying their tires, which inhibited attacking driving.

Canada needs to be a two-stop race, period. However that is achieved. This would allow the drivers to care far less about the tires, because they're coming off anyway. Heck, at this point I'm about ready to say I'm pro-mandate when it comes to multiple stops per race. Make Canada a three stopper. Just get tire conservation off the plate.

Harder tires (less marbles) and bring back refueling?

Hard Driver
06-25-18, 10:34 PM
Red Bull goes Honda

Good luck with that... But then again, in F1, things can change.

WickerBill
06-26-18, 03:56 PM
Good luck with that... But then again, in F1, things can change.

I just don't see Honda being the 1980s Honda anymore. They don't seem to win at anything except Indycar.

Insomniac
06-27-18, 02:06 AM
Thoughts on the Vettel/Bottas incident? I thought it was a racing incident. Vettel tried to slow when Bottas squeezed in, it did not look like any type of kamikaze move. The Mercedes outrage over only a +5s penalty was over the top.

It will be interesting to see if the new Mercedes engine continues to dominate the summer.

SteveH
06-27-18, 12:42 PM
Thoughts on the Vettel/Bottas incident? I thought it was a racing incident. Vettel tried to slow when Bottas squeezed in, it did not look like any type of kamikaze move. The Mercedes outrage over only a +5s penalty was over the top.

It will be interesting to see if the new Mercedes engine continues to dominate the summer.

I agree with everything. Unless the fault is egregious, I think most of these situations are just racing incidents. Maybe in slo-mo replay it can be determined that a racer should have done something different, but that isn't real.

Mercedes acted like a spoiled child.

RTKar
06-29-18, 10:00 AM
I agree with everything. Unless the fault is egregious, I think most of these situations are just racing incidents. Maybe in slo-mo replay it can be determined that a racer should have done something different, but that isn't real.

Mercedes acted like a spoiled child.

I agree, it seems over the last few years there's been too much focus on placing blame. One can only imagine how hard it is, at speed with limited visibility, while focusing on making your move, to avoid any contact. Sometimes I feel as if the governing body is trying to sanitize the sport too much.

gjc2
07-01-18, 10:28 AM
How long has it been since we’ve seen this much attrition in a GP?

SteveH
07-01-18, 01:32 PM
How long has it been since we’ve seen this much attrition in a GP?

And that is why racing today isn’t nearly as interesting. Not only F1 but that other series that runs domestically.

Lux Interior
07-01-18, 05:36 PM
Great race today. That track in particular produces some terrific racing. And the setting in the Austrian Alps makes it even more enjoyable.

indyfan31
07-02-18, 11:17 AM
Great race today. That track in particular produces some terrific racing. And the setting in the Austrian Alps makes it even more enjoyable.

I thought the same thing, fantastic setting. And it was kind of fun watching Kimi come back to life.

gjc2
07-08-18, 10:41 AM
Now that was an automobile race!

cameraman
07-08-18, 01:04 PM
Only reason Kimi was even in a position to nerf Hamilton was Hamilton's terrible start. Bottas flew past him like he was standing still. Sorry Lewis but the root cause was you getting the start wrong.

Lux Interior
07-08-18, 11:35 PM
Even better race than last week. Silverstone had everything.

tedwest
07-10-18, 05:38 AM
I agree with you. I love Raikkonen style

indyfan31
07-10-18, 11:43 AM

I thought it was the best race of the year, great finish.

(I could've done without "Crofty's" squealing like a 12-year-old girl at a Bieber concert)

TedN
07-10-18, 06:52 PM
QUOTE OF THE WEEKEND: Minttu Raikkonen, Kimi's wife, on an Instagram message to Lewis Hamilton, "If you cry like a girl when you lose, do ballet. Just saying."

Source (http://www.deepthrottle.com/Thoughts/18_britain_thoughts.shtml)

:rofl:

Ted

SteveH
07-11-18, 02:37 PM
Source (http://www.deepthrottle.com/Thoughts/18_britain_thoughts.shtml)

:rofl:

Ted

I wonder if she speaks in monotone? :)

Insomniac
07-12-18, 10:22 AM
Hamilton's pouting is just overt the top now. He finishes second after being easily beat by Vettel and Bottas to start. Ferrari tactics to take out Mercs? Competition is really messing with their minds. They've had it too easy for too long.

Insomniac
07-23-18, 12:45 AM
First rain-ish race this season? The race/championship got all turned around in a hurry. Ferrari pits Kimi early to have a buffer in from of Hamilton. Not a terrible call since it ensured Ferrari would score more points than Mercedes since they covered both strategies. But then Kimi undercut Vettel on the stop. Oops. Vettel runs it off the track while leading by 8s. It was getting interesting out there and the championship leader brings out the safety car. I guess Lewis' new 2 year deal includes #1 driver status at Mercedes. :thumbup: Bottas, true team player. Just a bummer for him.

datachicane
07-23-18, 03:13 AM
Agreed about Bottas, although I understand Merc's concerns about having their drivers in tight quarters on a squirrelly track.
I think Hamilton would've eaten Vettel's lunch even if he hadn't smucked the wall, given the respective states of their tires. Still, a DNF vs P2 or P3 is pretty rough.

That race was a blast to watch.

WickerBill
07-23-18, 08:19 AM
That was a heck of a mistake from Vettel. But if the Ferrari engine is really gaining 3/10ths on the straights (as Mercedes claims), it ultimately might not matter.

cameraman
07-23-18, 12:27 PM
Except Kimi didn't run the new spec engine. Much of that speed is coming from non-engine upgrades to the car.

SteveH
07-23-18, 04:47 PM
Evidently Shell has provided Ferrari with a new fuel formula that is in part the reason for the power increase. I would think that would affect either revision of the engine although possibly the newest version was optimized for the new formula and produces slightly more power as a result. I have read the the new formula was made available for Canada. And also another reference to Silverstone. I don't know if there have two revisions. Possibly.

Insomniac
07-24-18, 09:58 AM
Hamilton gets a 5s penalty if he won by more than 5s, right?

WickerBill
07-24-18, 11:54 AM
Hamilton gets a 5s penalty if he won by more than 5s, right?

YEP.

JohnHKart
07-24-18, 12:56 PM
Terrific race. Who’s brilliant idea was it to put that absolutely incomprehensible babbling French Team Prinicipal on the air??I hope they never put that French guy on the broadcast again- I could not understand ONE Word he said all weekend. He’s so annoying he even had my cat looking up cause it was irritating him. How does anyone on the team understand him at all?

nissan gtp
07-25-18, 09:05 AM
Terrific race. Who’s brilliant idea was it to put that absolutely incomprehensible babbling French Team Prinicipal on the air??I hope they never put that French guy on the broadcast again- I could not understand ONE Word he said all weekend. He’s so annoying he even had my cat looking up cause it was irritating him. How does anyone on the team understand him at all?

His accent (and his voice) does make him really hard to understand or me as well.

Rus'L
07-26-18, 07:54 AM
I think Hamilton would've eaten Vettel's lunch even if he hadn't smucked the wall, given the respective states of their tires.

Hamilton was in fourth place and quite a bit behind in time when Vettel went off, and none of the cars were going to pit again without a safety car. I don't think Hamilton was even going to get close enough to Vettel to do anything if the race played out normally.

Rus'L
07-26-18, 07:58 AM

It can be different listening to someone with a heavy accent in person versus on the radio. Plus, whatever communications they were using, it made it sound even worse -- I've heard him being interviewed on the grid before, and it wasn't as bad.

A shame, because anyone in his position is going to have interesting stuff to say. But like you, I couldn't understand a thing he said.

WickerBill
07-26-18, 09:48 AM
Agree with that - they've used Gunther Steiner in that role before and he's about half as intelligible over the radio as he is during a regular interview.

Insomniac
07-30-18, 12:27 AM
Aside from Bottas' tires giving up, this was a race where the inability to pass in F1 was all too evident. Red Bull was really showing their Renault disdain.

Also, just saw the geniuses in F1 are bidding out an exclusive tire contract starting in 2020. The winner gets to make 13" tires for one season before switching to 18" in 2021. :shakehead:

They do realize tire diversity would help the racing? At least try not to be exclusive.

opinionated ow
07-30-18, 09:18 AM
Aside from Bottas' tires giving up, this was a race where the inability to pass in F1 was all too evident. Red Bull was really showing their Renault disdain.

Also, just saw the geniuses in F1 are bidding out an exclusive tire contract starting in 2020. The winner gets to make 13" tires for one season before switching to 18" in 2021. :shakehead:

They do realize tire diversity would help the racing? At least try not to be exclusive.

The 18" wheel/tyres look absolutely ridiculous. My road car only has 15s for goodness sake

WickerBill
07-30-18, 11:14 AM
The tire situation all stems from Pirelli's apparent unwillingness to extend their current deal one year. Pirelli is holding some feet to the fire, it seems.

WickerBill
07-30-18, 11:16 AM
The 18" wheel/tyres look absolutely ridiculous. My road car only has 15s for goodness sake

I like the idea. Road cars haven't had that much sidewall in 15 years, and this will be fun to see how they handle the major change in damping.

Insomniac
07-31-18, 02:31 AM
The tire situation all stems from Pirelli's apparent unwillingness to extend their current deal one year. Pirelli is holding some feet to the fire, it seems.

I'm surprised they're letting Pirelli do it. I'd expect them to threaten to move the switch up to 2020 at least.

cameraman
07-31-18, 10:40 PM
I'm surprised they're letting Pirelli do it. I'd expect them to threaten to move the switch up to 2020 at least.

Not sure that any other tire manufacturer has any interest in F1. Pirelli could easily be in a position to dictate terms to F1.

Gary
07-31-18, 11:07 PM
Red Bull was really showing their Renault disdain.

It's still kinda suspicious that the Red Bulls always seem to have the most Renault engine problems. Perhaps they're pushing the engine envelope a bit too much?

Pilgrims Drop
08-01-18, 04:56 AM
It's still kinda suspicious that the Red Bulls always seem to have the most Renault engine problems. Perhaps they're pushing the engine envelope a bit too much?

They can't, the engines are run and controlled by Renault engineers embedded in the RB team. RB does use a different supplier for fuel, and apparently they've been forced to run their own dyno testing for fuel development because Renault don't care anymore... that may be one reason.

Insomniac
08-02-18, 01:35 AM
I like that Red Bull refer to the power unit as a TAG Heuer, have no Renault sponsorship/advertising anywhere, but still call them out.

WickerBill
08-03-18, 12:18 PM
Daniel Ricciardo leaves Red Bull....

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11459194/daniel-ricciardo-to-leave-red-bull

REALLY makes me wonder about those Adrian Newey to Renault rumors a couple of weeks ago...

Insomniac
08-04-18, 10:24 AM
Daniel Ricciardo leaves Red Bull....

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11459194/daniel-ricciardo-to-leave-red-bull

REALLY makes me wonder about those Adrian Newey to Renault rumors a couple of weeks ago...

I did not see this coming. It's a shame there are so little competitive seats. We get robbed of seeing the best go wheel to wheel.

datachicane
09-03-18, 10:44 PM
That was some race.
What's with the glass bowls and masked handlers on the podium? Looked suspiciously like two sets of trophies. Mighty weird.

cameraman
10-22-18, 02:19 AM
So both Ocon and Magnussen were excluded from the results after the race due to excessive fuel use at various points in the race. That moves Perez to 8th, Hartley 9th and Ericsson 10th.

aaaaand Grosjean was handed his 10th race penalty point and a 3 place grid penalty in Mexico for clouting Leclerc at the start of the race. He would get a race ban if he reaches 12 points...