PDA

View Full Version : New Car Time - Back to the Future Edition

nrc
03-20-18, 03:34 AM
New car time. Rambling blog post follows.

It's new car time again. Or in my case a bit past that time. Normally when the time comes I already know what I want next. This time it took a bit longer to decide.

No Miata for me this time. I've loved our Miatas and if you had asked me two years ago I would have predicted that I would have another one by now. There are a lot of things to like about the latest generation Miata so it would have been a safe bet.

But when I started thinking about a new car my Miata enthusiasm started to cool. There were two main reasons for this. First was the lack of colors. I love brightly colored cars and Mazda doesn't seem to believe in such a thing right now. The second thing became evident when test driving the new Miata.

The problem is that the SkyActiv engine in the new Miata lacks zoom-zoom. I'm not talking about outright speed. Every test says that the new generation Miata is quicker than the old. That's a combination of the lighter weight of the new car and better low end torque of the Skyactiv engine.

Unfortunately it lacks rev-happy character of the MZR engine from my previous generation Miata. I love that engine. It revs like a wanna-be rotary and is intent on making a dash for the redline in every gear. Alas that character was sacrificed on the alter of fuel economy in the new SkyActiv engine. The new engine is happy to make fuel efficient torque but feels ambivalent about seeking out the top end of the rev counter.

It's probably not something that most people would notice. But I was convinced that it would be disappointing. Particularly if I compromised and bought one in a color I didn't really care for. Mazda's color options might be fine on a Buick, but they're uninspired for a sports car. So I decided to be patient and see what Mazda would come up with in the color department for the new model year.

In the mean time, we had been to the auto show and picked up a "get $50 for taking a test drive" offer from Ford so I decided to drive a Mustang. I've always loved Mustangs. My first car was a Mustang. My dad was a Ford guy so I'm a somewhat lapsed Ford guy. We just went in different directions when they dumped their Mazda ownership and became SUV obsessed.

In recent years Ford has made some really interesting cars but the stars just never aligned to put one in our garage.
They certainly don't have any problem with color choices. Compared to the monochromatic Mazda lot the Ford lot looked like a Skittles truck crashed into the M&Ms store.

I focused on the 4 cylinder Ecoboost Mustang. The 310 horsepower that the turbo 4 makes seemed like plenty. I'm accustomed to a 165hp Miata. I don't need a 435hp fire breathing V8 in my daily driver even if I might enjoy it. Also, it seemed like the four banger might provide a lighter, better balanced package. It might also reduce the odds of winding up in a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVyBaX6sCd4).

I was impressed that the Mustang didn't feel as large on the road as I thought it might. It probably helps that I've gotten accustomed to driving our CX-5 but I was comfortable right away in the Mustang. The steering is accurate and direct and there's less tendency to follow road irregularities or wander than in the Miata.

The turbo engine pulls like a train through most of the rev range. It's no more of a revver than the SkyActiv engine, but not much less outside of a little more lumpiness at the top end. Shifting short of that didn't bother me. I guess I have different expectations of a Mustang than a Miata.

One consistent annoyance I've had with Ford was present and accounted for - they spread the tach and the speedometer to make room for an "information center" display in the center. This seems like common practice these days but it splays out the guages, giving the instrument panel a walleyed look that I find annoying and less than ergonomic.

Handling on the Performance Pack model I test drove was tight and confident. It turns in briskly and has plenty of grip. It's certainly not as agile in transitions as the Miata, but it also does without the "Jinba ittai" (horse and rider) pitch and roll that Mazda considers essential to the Miata experience.

While I like the compact styling of the latest Miata, I love the current Mustang. It's a great, modern embodiment of the classic Mustang. All the right nostalgia buttons where pushed when I looked in the side view mirror and saw that classic Mustang shoulder profile. It was like being back behind the wheel of my 1969 Mustang, sans a cheap paint job covering a lot of bondo. I even had the same cute blond in the passenger seat.

I was sold on the possibility of a Mustang but I wasn't ready to let go of the idea of a new Miata, either. I decided to wait for the details on the 2018 models and make final decision based on that.

Time passed. And then, an exciting announcement from Mazda: For 2018, Soul Red Crystal Metallic would replaced Soul Red Metallic. It's a more vivid rendition of their groundbreaking minivan red metallic. Oh, and their bluish grey would be replaced by a pretty nice blue metallic. Sorry, only on the Grand Touring trim level.

Meanwhile in the Ford camp they unveiled a freshened 2018 Mustang. The styling changes are minor, but somewhat polarizing for Mustang fans. For me, it didn't make much difference. The '17 models are a bit more classic and pretty while the new '18 fascias are a bit more modern and aggressive.

They also added more power for the V8 and more torque for the Ecoboost along with a new digital dash option that solves walleyed guage problem by allowing you to spread the tach across center of the gauge cluster.

They didn't disappoint on color front. They retired a great blue called "Grabber Blue" but they replaced it with "Orange Fury." Orange Fury is very close to the "Grabber Orange" color of Parnelli Jones' iconic Trans Am Mustang but with a metallic sheen that makes it really pop in any kind of light.

That capped it. It was time to return to my Ford roots and see what it was like to be a Mustang guy again. It took a little longer than I'd hoped. I needed to see Orange Fury in person to make sure it was as bold as good as it looked in photos. Then I needed to custom order the car because I wanted a specific set of equipment.

Unfortunately the timing meant that my new Mustang with summer tires would be delivered in the depths of winter Fortunately the snow melted long enough to take delivery and get the car home. But the car has spent a lot of time in the garage until recently. Next Fall it will get all season tires to make it a bit more practical. In the mean time Spring has begun to sprung and the Mustang is finally getting out more to play. It feels good to be a Ford guy again. At least for now.

chop456
03-20-18, 04:25 AM
Nice car. I like the new ones. The previous gen looked fat to me.

WickerBill
03-20-18, 06:53 AM
You plot-twisted me - I figured this was going to be seeking advice and boom, you already own it. Welcome back to Ford!

Manual transmission, I assume, since you talked about shifting away from the top of the range?

It's lovely. Through time and perseverance, I have completely turned my wife - daughter of a GM employee and part of a fanatical GM family - into a Ford person.

You should absolutely let Ford know that the voucher they gave you sold a car. That's a pretty cool story; maybe you could be in a commercial. :)

SteveH
03-20-18, 09:35 AM
Nice looking car Richard. I've never been a Mustang fan but had one as a rental last year and enjoyed it very much. It was a very vivid light blue. Don't know if it was the color Ford dropped but if it was I can understand why. Not sure I've seen another one like it.

Mazda's color palette across all models is much too subdued. Only now have they added a little burst of color in their choices with metallic blue and red. But even those are not all that striking (is that due to a mica based metallic?). We have a 2016 CX-5, love it but would never describe it as peppy and that too is a common issue across all of their lines, too. Great mileage, passable performance.

Have fun!

opinionated ow
03-20-18, 10:16 AM
Makes my planned purchase of a Skoda Fabia 1.0L 3 cylinder manual station wagon seem a little tame! :rofl:

TravelGal
03-20-18, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately (?), I'm stuck with Honda/Acura although I would love to go back to my roots and buy a Mustang. Long before TravelGuy, I had '67 convertible that I adored. But that's another story.

I now have two cars and one driver. I'm thinking of trying to trade them both for a 2018. Both are cream puffs. 2001 Acura with 64,000 miles. Originally bought from Honda HQ. Was a Rose Parade Car. 2014 Accord with 9,400 miles. Combined I'd get about 2/3 the cost of new car.

Here's my question: If you get a hybrid, how much trouble is it to find a place to plug it in? Is it really cheaper to run them if you're using your own home electricity to charge them? Bear in mind that gas in California waivers around $4 a gallon but electricity ain't cheap either. Whatever thoughts you all have would be GREATLY appreciated.

WickerBill
03-20-18, 11:55 AM
Is it really cheaper to run them if you're using your own home electricity to charge them? Bear in mind that gas in California waivers around $4 a gallon but electricity ain't cheap either. Whatever thoughts you all have would be GREATLY appreciated.

You're not looking at a Tesla, but they have a cost calculator (https://www.tesla.com/where-you-park - down the page a bit) where you can put in your kW/h and gas costs to get a comparison. On their highest end car, it looks like it'd be about $30 cheaper every 300 miles. Of course, that will change with a different kind of car, but overall, yes, it's cheaper to operate. If a full electric vehicle, you also don't do oil changes (but I don't think Honda offers one of those right now, do they?)

TravelGal
03-20-18, 02:02 PM
You're not looking at a Tesla, but they have a cost calculator (https://www.tesla.com/where-you-park - down the page a bit) where you can put in your kW/h and gas costs to get a comparison. On their highest end car, it looks like it'd be about $30 cheaper every 300 miles. Of course, that will change with a different kind of car, but overall, yes, it's cheaper to operate. If a full electric vehicle, you also don't do oil changes (but I don't think Honda offers one of those right now, do they?)

Interesting. All electric definitely saves money to run but the insurance is quite a lot higher, at least with AllState. My biggest worry is driving along oblivious. or not, to the falling charge and not having an oh-so (not so) convenient charging place nearby. I would definitely go for a hybrid over all electric. Like to keep my options open.

TravelGal
03-20-18, 08:38 PM
Must be the day for car updates (cf Insomniac).

So I goes to the dealer, I does. I know some of you are in sales so you'll see what happened here. I said I was interested in driving a CRV while my car was being serviced. "Ohhh, nice," they coo. My Accord is top of the line. Just about all the bells and whistles. "Do I want to see the same quality in a CRV? "Yes," I say, "No sense in trading down." They bring out a vehicle and I get in. Having never been inside a CRV before, I ask a bunch of questions, what about this and that? The chap with me, very amiably says, "That's on the higher end models. This is the lowest CRV model." Result: I like the CRV but not that one. I get back in my car and love it. Sayonara Honda for another few years.

Insomniac
03-20-18, 08:56 PM
Here's my question: If you get a hybrid, how much trouble is it to find a place to plug it in? Is it really cheaper to run them if you're using your own home electricity to charge them? Bear in mind that gas in California waivers around $4 a gallon but electricity ain't cheap either. Whatever thoughts you all have would be GREATLY appreciated.

This isn't a problem if you have a hybrid. You have a gasoline engine to go with it. :)

Given your current affinity for Honda, they have a new Clarity model that is a plug-in hybrid. There are a couple nice things about it. One that would put your mind at ease:

A small 7-gallon gas tank ensures an additional 300 miles or so of range when the battery is depleted, essentially eliminating range anxiety.

Otherwise, they say you can go 47 miles (Consumer Reports says more like 40) on just the battery. Also, since it's a new model, it's eligible for the various tax credits.

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/2018-honda-clarity-first-drive-review/

nrc
03-21-18, 03:29 AM
You plot-twisted me - I figured this was going to be seeking advice and boom, you already own it. Welcome back to Ford!

Manual transmission, I assume, since you talked about shifting away from the top of the range?

Absolutely! I plan to drive manuals as long as I can get one and I have all the working parts to operate three pedals. Which reminds me, we need an update on your foot saga.

It's lovely. Through time and perseverance, I have completely turned my wife - daughter of a GM employee and part of a fanatical GM family - into a Ford person.

You're doing the Lord's work. GM can't figure out why the Camaro is selling so poorly relative to the Mustang when it wins all the car magazine comparisons. They've never seemed to grasp that the majority of pony car buyers don't want a track day toy - they want a fun, sporty coupe that they can drive comfortably (ie, see out of) and put at least a few bags of groceries in.

gjc2
03-21-18, 06:23 AM
Mazda's color palette across all models is much too subdued.

That's true of a lot of brands. It seems some cars only come in black, white, silver or one of three different grays.

WickerBill
03-21-18, 07:15 AM
Absolutely! I plan to drive manuals as long as I can get one and I have all the working parts to operate three pedals. Which reminds me, we need an update on your foot saga. .

I still love my Fusion, but if it had a manual it would be so much more fun. The sport tires and more rigid suspension on the package I got really plant the car in the corners (for a family sedan), but it is clear the 6 speed gearbox is all about fuel economy.

nrc
03-21-18, 10:15 AM
Nice looking car Richard. I've never been a Mustang fan but had one as a rental last year and enjoyed it very much. It was a very vivid light blue. Don't know if it was the color Ford dropped but if it was I can understand why. Not sure I've seen another one like it.

Mazda's color palette across all models is much too subdued. Only now have they added a little burst of color in their choices with metallic blue and red. But even those are not all that striking (is that due to a mica based metallic?). We have a 2016 CX-5, love it but would never describe it as peppy and that too is a common issue across all of their lines, too. Great mileage, passable performance.

Have fun!

This really worries me about Mazda. Their cars still drive great but without any legitimate performance models I'm not sure how they can maintain their "zoom-zoom" image.

gjc2
03-21-18, 01:16 PM
This really worries me about Mazda. Their cars still drive great but without any legitimate performance models I'm not sure how they can maintain their "zoom-zoom" image.

Mazda will be trying to reposition themselves as intermediate brand, a notch above Honda, Toyota, Nissan but not the level of Lexus, Infiniti & Acura.

I don’t know how that’s going to work out for them.

nissan gtp
03-21-18, 06:23 PM
I was without a manual for the first time in my life when I sold the MINI and got a GTI with DSG. Really like the VW, but missed the manual. Found a really nice 2014 CPO Boxster. It’s the first convertible I’ve ever had. Really enjoying it so far, between the snow storms.

Insomniac
03-21-18, 08:47 PM
Orange is a bold choice! It looks slick. I'm glad to hear that you have good power even without getting the most powerful engine.

On a small aside, if you really want to feel the car on the road, there is the Ariel Atom (and it's available in orange, https://www.arielna.com/arielatom-3s). What could go wrong with you driving that on US roads? :D

SteveH
03-21-18, 10:19 PM
Orange is a bold choice! It looks slick. I'm glad to hear that you have good power even without getting the most powerful engine.

On a small aside, if you really want to feel the car on the road, there is the Ariel Atom (and it's available in orange, https://www.arielna.com/arielatom-3s). What could go wrong with you driving that on US roads? :D

Several years ago I passed one of those on I65 towards Indy. In the rain. In the fall.

Evidently one doesn’t need to pass an IQ test to purchase it.

opinionated ow
03-22-18, 01:02 AM
Several years ago I passed one of those on I65 towards Indy. In the rain. In the fall.

I've always said that if I owned an Indycar team I'd have two or three of them painted up in my team colours as fleet vehicles.

nrc
03-22-18, 08:51 PM

I'd like to go with something completely impractical someday. But I'd probably just go more classic, either a Caterham 7 or a Cobra replica.

As someone who has driven a Miata in the rain with the top down more than a few times I can say that in the right conditions it can be a great experience. You just have to be able to keep moving fast enough that you don't get wet. Of course in an Atom you're probably getting wet regardless. But some of my best top-down driving memories were driving through really dramatic thunderheads with occasional rain. The trick is pulling over to put the top up without getting soaked if it gets too heavy. :)

Insomniac
03-23-18, 11:06 AM
I'd like to go with something completely impractical someday. But I'd probably just go more classic, either a Caterham 7 or a Cobra replica.

I saw a How It's Made: Dream Cars on the Caterham. Would you buy the kit?

WickerBill
03-23-18, 11:39 AM

That show is so great. It is fascinating to see how differently each supercar company approaches parts, sourcing, and assembly.

Insomniac
03-23-18, 05:51 PM
That show is so great. It is fascinating to see how differently each supercar company approaches parts, sourcing, and assembly.

I was glad so many lifted the veil for us to see.

gjc2
03-23-18, 05:57 PM

Me too. The Caterham would be my first choice.

nrc
03-23-18, 11:29 PM

I think when I'm down to twiddling my thumbs I'd like to do something that would force me to get back into the mechanical side of things. That would certainly do it. I kind of lost my interest in working on cars back in college because I didn't like having to rely on the outcome for transportation.

SteveH
03-24-18, 12:16 AM
http://us.caterhamcars.com/cars

Available in orange

Hard Driver
03-24-18, 06:26 PM
I just bought a 2018 Miata RF two days ago... Colors weren't an issue for me, I got black on black with the appearance package. Dealer had to get one that was scheduled for production because there weren't any available with the color/options I wanted, so I take delivery in about 2 months. It is not as fast as my old Audi S4, but that is kind of the point, you can drive it without getting put in jail.

Like the new mustangs, enjoy the new ride.

nrc
03-24-18, 10:59 PM
I just bought a 2018 Miata RF two days ago... Colors weren't an issue for me, I got black on black with the appearance package. Dealer had to get one that was scheduled for production because there weren't any available with the color/options I wanted, so I take delivery in about 2 months. It is not as fast as my old Audi S4, but that is kind of the point, you can drive it without getting put in jail.

Like the new mustangs, enjoy the new ride.

Congrats! I really like the look of the RF but just from sitting in I didn't care for how closed in it felt. Because of that I was just looking at soft tops.

One of the great things about Miatas is being able to have fun without hitting hyper-legal speeds. Even with just the turbo four in the Mustang when I glance down after a little exuberance I'm often seeing speeds that could bring a big ticket.

WickerBill
11-08-18, 02:03 PM
Richard - how's the 'stang been treating you? How many miles? Pros and cons?

opinionated ow
11-09-18, 08:02 AM
For those who remember, I did end up buying the Skoda Fabia station wagon. 1.0L 3 cylinder. All of 94bhp. Goes alright although I do have to work the gearbox a bit more than other cars I've owned and driven.
http://www.restingthealfa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SkodaFabiaEst-12.jpg

chop456
11-09-18, 09:54 AM
Is it a Jetta or a Golf?

opinionated ow
11-10-18, 12:48 AM
Is it a Jetta or a Golf?

It's actually the same chassis as the VW Polo/Audi A1 but designed and built in the Czech Republic

chop456
11-10-18, 01:10 AM
Looks bigger than anything Polo. Nice car.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

nrc
11-10-18, 05:13 PM
Richard - how's the 'stang been treating you? How many miles? Pros and cons?

I'm just under 6k and still loving it. It's been great for my daily drive. It's comfortable and has all the gizmos that I want while still handling my favorite sweepers and freeway ramps well enough to keep me entertained. It's also a pleasure to have an ample supply of power on hand. I loved stirring the Miata's gearbox to make it go but there are times when being able to effortlessly squirt past someone without a lot of drama is nice.

I miss the Miata from time to time but I got lucky and picked an ideal time to give up the convertible. We've had record rainfall this year and my daily drive has been clogged for construction. So there haven't been a lot of days when I've missed having the top down.

I also miss it on tight, twisty back roads on our weekend trips. It's hard to beat a Miata in that environment. The Mustang does great as long as things are flowing but it feels a bit like a dancing elephant when things get really technical. Some of that may still be my own learning curve with the car.

One place it's hard to beat is in the looks department. Inside and out I'm in love with this car. It's the best looking car I've had since the RX-8.

No problems to report so far. I do get a little vibration from someplace in the dash every now and then which annoys me.

It came with Pirelli P Zero summer tires which I'm not thrilled with. They feel slippery at anything under 70 degrees. Maybe that's because I'm not accustomed to something this heavy with this much torque. But I want to be able to drive it during the winter (even though I doubt that I'll be taking it out when snow accumulates). So I'm going to get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. They seem to be the best reviewed high performance all seasons. Unless they're miserable in the summer I'll probably just leave them on. I'll hang on to the Pirellis to put back on before I trade it in eventually.

I mentioned the gizmos. I love having Nav and traffic available without having to fiddle around plugging my phone in. It amazes me that some people want to plug their phone in like some kind of umbilical chord just so that they can use Google maps and be sure that Google is still keeping track of them. The built in Nav is a mixed bag. In some ways it's better but its big problem compared to Google maps is map currency and traffic coverage outside of main arteries.

Sound is decent. I vacillate on whether I regret not paying the ridiculous cost for their "Shaker" sound upgrade. It's really just some different software and a subwoofer but the sound could use a little more bottom end.

I definitely don't regret selecting the Recaro seats. I love the look and feel of these seats even though it's a high price to pay when you consider that you lose power and heat when you select the option. They also provide health benefit by reminding me that I can't afford to gain any more weight.

nrc
11-10-18, 05:16 PM
For those who remember, I did end up buying the Skoda Fabia station wagon. 1.0L 3 cylinder. All of 94bhp. Goes alright although I do have to work the gearbox a bit more than other cars I've owned and driven.
http://www.restingthealfa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SkodaFabiaEst-12.jpg

94bhp? I'll drag race you in my 155hp CX-5. I'm not sure of the weight difference but it might be a tight race.

I'm still waiting for Americans to wake up and realize that the CUVs they love so much are just a jacked up cross between a station wagon and a minivan - the two vehicles that they hate the most.

opinionated ow
11-11-18, 01:51 AM
I'm just under 6k and still loving it. It's been great for my daily drive. It's comfortable and has all the gizmos that I want while still handling my favorite sweepers and freeway ramps well enough to keep me entertained. It's also a pleasure to have an ample supply of power on hand. I loved stirring the Miata's gearbox to make it go but there are times when being able to effortlessly squirt past someone without a lot of drama is nice.

I miss the Miata from time to time but I got lucky and picked an ideal time to give up the convertible. We've had record rainfall this year and my daily drive has been clogged for construction. So there haven't been a lot of days when I've missed having the top down.

I also miss it on tight, twisty back roads on our weekend trips. It's hard to beat a Miata in that environment. The Mustang does great as long as things are flowing but it feels a bit like a dancing elephant when things get really technical. Some of that may still be my own learning curve with the car.

One place it's hard to beat is in the looks department. Inside and out I'm in love with this car. It's the best looking car I've had since the RX-8.

No problems to report so far. I do get a little vibration from someplace in the dash every now and then which annoys me.

It came with Pirelli P Zero summer tires which I'm not thrilled with. They feel slippery at anything under 70 degrees. Maybe that's because I'm not accustomed to something this heavy with this much torque. But I want to be able to drive it during the winter (even though I doubt that I'll be taking it out when snow accumulates). So I'm going to get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. They seem to be the best reviewed high performance all seasons. Unless they're miserable in the summer I'll probably just leave them on. I'll hang on to the Pirellis to put back on before I trade it in eventually.

I mentioned the gizmos. I love having Nav and traffic available without having to fiddle around plugging my phone in. It amazes me that some people want to plug their phone in like some kind of umbilical chord just so that they can use Google maps and be sure that Google is still keeping track of them. The built in Nav is a mixed bag. In some ways it's better but its big problem compared to Google maps is map currency and traffic coverage outside of main arteries.

Sound is decent. I vacillate on whether I regret not paying the ridiculous cost for their "Shaker" sound upgrade. It's really just some different software and a subwoofer but the sound could use a little more bottom end.

I definitely don't regret selecting the Recaro seats. I love the look and feel of these seats even though it's a high price to pay when you consider that you lose power and heat when you select the option. They also provide health benefit by reminding me that I can't afford to gain any more weight.

Mate of mine bought one, the 5.0L V8 and he loves it. It's right hand drive naturally but they've been a real sales hit in Australia as this is the first time that a Mustang has come into the country as part of the Ford official line up.

Have they finally built a mustang that can go around corners?

opinionated ow
11-11-18, 01:57 AM
94bhp? I'll drag race you in my 155hp CX-5. I'm not sure of the weight difference but it might be a tight race.

I'm still waiting for Americans to wake up and realize that the CUVs they love so much are just a jacked up cross between a station wagon and a minivan - the two vehicles that they hate the most.

Bit over 1000kg for the Skoda. I'd say power to weight ratio would be similar but I'd go with the aerodynamics of the wagon rather than the SUV!

It's funny because many manufacturers have it in their head that Australians won't buy manuals or wagons and yet everybody who has had a look at it likes the combo

nrc
11-12-18, 01:01 PM
Mate of mine bought one, the 5.0L V8 and he loves it. It's right hand drive naturally but they've been a real sales hit in Australia as this is the first time that a Mustang has come into the country as part of the Ford official line up.

Have they finally built a mustang that can go around corners?

It can go through them plenty fast once it gets settled down. It still doesn't have great dynamics in the transitions. I haven't driven one with the Magnaride suspension which reportedly makes a big difference in that department.

The Mustang GT with their super sticky tire "PP2" option outpaced some pretty expensive hardware in C&D's last lightening lap test.

WickerBill
11-12-18, 07:41 PM
I asked for a reason, Richard... I'm thinking about a 2019 GT with some but not all of the bells and whistles. I'm 47... and I think I'd rather buy and enjoy my speeding tickets in my 40s and early 50s than when I can really afford it at 65 years old.

Anyway...

A or B? :)

chop456
11-13-18, 02:13 AM
A, obviously. How is that even a question? Sheesh.

nrc
11-13-18, 03:14 AM
Awesome! I'm thankful that my occasional acting out hasn't earned me a ticket yet.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about color because I'm almost always going to go brighter. Ruby Red is a great color. But I can see the sleeper appeal of the black/grey scheme. A worthy successor to Darth Fusion.

If you want a dark color I'd suggest checking out Kona Blue in the flesh. It's much nicer than it looks on their web site.

You've got those awesome Performance Pack wheels on there so be sure to try those on a test drive. The Performance Pack doesn't feel overly harsh to me but I don't know if it gets any firmer on the GT.

Let me know what you think.

WickerBill
11-13-18, 06:37 AM

:laugh:

I need to find a dealer that has a GT with MagneRide and the right wheels on it, and I need to do it quickly as it's snowing this morning on my way to the airport.

Either that or I wait until spring, which is the sensible thing to do, which means I won't do it

gjc2
11-13-18, 08:16 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I like the red.

nissan gtp
11-13-18, 08:52 AM
Go with the red.

SteveH
11-13-18, 10:25 AM
Go with the red.

right, radar guns are color blind :D

nrc
11-13-18, 12:06 PM
:laugh:

I need to find a dealer that has a GT with MagneRide and the right wheels on it, and I need to do it quickly as it's snowing this morning on my way to the airport.

Either that or I wait until spring, which is the sensible thing to do, which means I won't do it

It should be a pretty good time to buy as dealers should be looking to dump inventory before the winter sets in. You should be able to get a deal close to invoice less incentives. Worst case, X-Plan is available by joining the Mustang Club of America and that's about $275 over invoice less incentives.

Magnaride may be tough to find in inventory. They've had a couple of "material holds" where production of an option gets held up because parts aren't available. I'd try to find one with it regardless of other options and drive it back to back and see how much you want it. You may end up having to order it to get it with your other preferred options.

Just remember that taking delivery of a car with summer tires in depths of winter puts a major crimp in your fun. :D

WickerBill
11-13-18, 07:45 PM
I should have mentioned - I will order. I'm not spending this magnitude of money on a car that "mostly fits" what I wanted. But I definitely want to test drive the configuration I've chosen - at least to understand what I'm getting into with the suspension/wheels/tires combo.

nrc
11-14-18, 08:52 PM
That's how I felt about it. I enjoy the build and config process and I don't mind waiting. The only down side is that Ford order tracking sucks. Not sure if you've been through that process before so I won't go into the details on it. Short version make sure the dealer is willing to check on the order however often you want at first. You want to make sure the order is accepted (ie not rejected for an error) and scheduled so you can get a VIN. Once they assign the VIN you can go check the order status yourself on their web site.

There are good tips and resources for ordering on the Mustang6G.com web site. Here's a link to the order guide that lays out all the config rules that the Build & Price tool is following. It can be helpful for figuring out why it won't let you select what you want sometimes. Like no Carbon Sport Interior Package with the Premium trim level.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-my-order-guide.100561/

nrc
11-24-18, 07:57 PM
Updates? Have you done a test drive yet? Opportunities for decent test drives are running out.

Reports are that build times are running pretty long right now. Some of that is typical holiday shutdowns but there are rumors of production holds for part problems.

I have an appointment for Friday to get some Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons installed. I'm debating on whether to keep the Pirellis to put back on later. Space is at a premium and I still haven't gotten rid of the extra set of tires from Missy's Mazda6. :\