PDA

View Full Version : What? There's a race this weekend? 2018.

Pages : [1] 2

TravelGal
03-11-18, 02:51 PM
I thought I'd start one thread that would work for the whole season. Given the amount of (dis)interest.

I happened on a friend's FB page and saw practice for St. Pete streaming on Friday. What? Huh? A race this weekend? I woke up this morning and realized I'd already missed half of it. When I turned it on, I realized I didn't know half the names. I'm "taping" it now on the DVR. TravelGuy watched religiously so I'll continue the tradition. At least for this year. Feel free to throw brickbats or comments.

gjc2
03-11-18, 03:06 PM
I thought I'd start one thread that would work for the whole season. Given the amount of (dis)interest.

I was wondering if OC is even a motorsports forum any more, the NASCAR season started without a mention and the discussion of F1 has only been about the TV coverage.

There seems to be much more interest in football (not from me however)

stroker
03-11-18, 04:41 PM
We're all basically Browncoats so there isn't much to talk about after that... :)

Hard Driver
03-11-18, 07:17 PM
You guys and sit around and pout about Tony George or whatever. Champcar won, and ate the IRL from the inside out. Indycar is CART, a series on road courses, street courses and ovals, with a mix of the best drivers from wherever.

Great race, nice cars.

Wickens deserved to win and Rossi should have gotten a time penalty for avoidable contact. Taking the leader out with a bonsai.

TravelGal
03-11-18, 10:34 PM
You guys and sit around and pout about Tony George or whatever. Champcar won, and ate the IRL from the inside out. Indycar is CART, a series on road courses, street courses and ovals, with a mix of the best drivers from wherever.

Great race, nice cars.

Wickens deserved to win and Rossi should have gotten a time penalty for avoidable contact. Taking the leader out with a bonsai.

I pretty much agree with this. That was a banzai move that had no chance. He should have been penalized but good. I also agree most of the races are good. There were some great ones last year. I thought the camera work on this one, what I saw of it, made it look boring because they pretty much stayed on the lead 2-3 cars. It's just that the feeling at the track is so different. Gone are the days of people who went because they loved the series, the drivers, and the cars. At least at the race I attended, admittedly only one, the people were just there for a nice afternoon out. Basically, they had no idea what they were watching and didn't care that they didn't know. No swag, no knowledgeable cheering. Just sitting in the sun till they felt like leaving. That's what broke my heart.

opinionated ow
03-12-18, 01:26 AM
Last season was the first that I've watched any of since they conducted the merger. Well in fact the year prior. I hated the DP01 and timed races. They were the antithesis of what CART stood for.

So I'm kind of excited about this year although I don't like the spec cars. The attempt to pretty the cars up is appreciated but it still doesn't look fully resolved. There are some bloody good drivers in the series and the crowds at Gateway and a few others were positive signs. Fingers crossed the new TV contract for next year (please be NBC not ABC) will be a good shot in the arm. As Robin Miller says, Indycar needs to sponsor Josef Newgarden and someone else (Graham Rahal maybe?) to run the Chili Bowl. Reconnect with that audience. By the same token they should encourage some of the indycar drivers to race indy lights too.

WickerBill
03-12-18, 09:03 AM
I watched for the first time in a long while.

I sincerely appreciated the lack of grip compared to what I've seen previously. And for what it's worth, Hard Driver, I think last year Rossi's car would have stuck and it wouldn't have been a bonsai move. Not a good restart from the leader did him in.

That track sucks, period. Phoenix will be interesting with the new specs. I hope they are as slippery and difficult there as they were in St Pete.

Hard Driver
03-12-18, 07:37 PM
I watched for the first time in a long while.

I sincerely appreciated the lack of grip compared to what I've seen previously. And for what it's worth, Hard Driver, I think last year Rossi's car would have stuck and it wouldn't have been a bonsai move. Not a good restart from the leader did him in.

That track sucks, period. Phoenix will be interesting with the new specs. I hope they are as slippery and difficult there as they were in St Pete.

I would agree with the not a good restart as the explanation for Wickens losing first, if Rossi has held it and made a legitimate pass. But considering that Scott Dixon was penalized for basically the exact same thing, avoidable contact diving down the inside of T1 and taking someone out, and he didn't even take out the leader, I still think a penalty was deserved.

TravelGal
04-06-18, 12:42 PM
For the intelligentsia among us, Indy car's 2018 electronics
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/148456-video-inside-indycar-s-new-2018-electronics

TravelGal
04-08-18, 01:30 PM
Removed from other thread. Posted here.

I wish I could write like BiF. You roundy roundy lllooosers.

The end was good. I saw the first 100 laps or so. I sleeped. I woke up for the last 30 laps. My question to anyone who might have seen the whole thing, was the camera work good enough to give the feeling of excitement I was clearly missing?

BigIrlFan
04-08-18, 01:44 PM
IT was a grate race. EGciting ohval action by INdyCArs coilt snakes. If you dint liek this then you aint a MErican

Hard Driver
04-08-18, 10:20 PM
Removed from other thread. Posted here.

I wish I could write like BiF. You roundy roundy lllooosers.

The end was good. I saw the first 100 laps or so. I sleeped. I woke up for the last 30 laps. My question to anyone who might have seen the whole thing, was the camera work good enough to give the feeling of excitement I was clearly missing?

Phoenix has always been a bit of a 1 groove track, so won't say it was a thrill a minute. Camera work was decent. End with the track position vs new tire strategy was good. Sebastian getting a start from Wicken's crew was cool sportsmanship. Rossi passing the leader to get a lap back and driving through the field was pretty good. Wickens almost winning his first oval race was pretty stunning. I prefer road courses, but for Phoenix, I would say the new car improved the racing and the NBC broadcast was better than the CBS ones.

TravelGal
04-09-18, 01:28 AM
IT was a grate race. EGciting ohval action by INdyCArs coilt snakes. If you dint liek this then you aint a MErican

Phoenix has always been a bit of a 1 groove track, so won't say it was a thrill a minute. Camera work was decent. End with the track position vs new tire strategy was good. Sebastian getting a start from Wicken's crew was cool sportsmanship. Rossi passing the leader to get a lap back and driving through the field was pretty good. Wickens almost winning his first oval race was pretty stunning. I prefer road courses, but for Phoenix, I would say the new car improved the racing and the NBC broadcast was better than the CBS ones.

Thank you--both. :D. I had been reading that they were trying to rubber in a second line but I didn't hear it mentioned. Not that I was awake all that long. On to Long Beach. Can't decide whether to drive down there or not. Guess it's time to hit up manic and find out where he'll be.

TravelGal
04-10-18, 10:59 AM
Speaking of Robin Miller, here's an article I can completely agree with. TravelGuy loved the ovals. Me, not so much. http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/148569-miller-painful-reality-check-at-phoenix

JohnHKart
04-13-18, 03:12 PM
I enjoyed both races. Some Tracks I cannot stay awake , Phoenix and Charlotte are the worst for me - nothing to do with the racing its just me.

TravelGal
04-17-18, 05:59 PM
I just watched the race Monday night. I thought it was the most entertaining one I'd seen in a very long time. Part of it is that they already know where to put the cameras so you can see the best angles. They still missed some good stuff anyway but watching Banzai Bourdais was "worth the price of admission" alone. :thumbup:

rabbit
04-18-18, 09:31 AM
I just watched the race Monday night. I thought it was the most entertaining one I'd seen in a very long time. Part of it is that they already know where to put the cameras so you can see the best angles. They still missed some good stuff anyway but watching Banzai Bourdais was "worth the price of admission" alone. :thumbup:
Agreed. A lot of good stuff. Rossi dominating, Bourdais blasting past Dixon not once but twice. And Bell and Tracy are the best color team in racing.

TravelGal
04-19-18, 11:56 AM
I'm finally warming to Robin Miller. His piece on not letting the rule book overrule common sense.

"f you hadn't noticed, it's tough enough to get people to watch IndyCar racing these days, so you finally get a Monday morning water cooler moment, and it gets flushed down the toilet."

Lux Interior
04-19-18, 12:45 PM
Bordais showed off his considerable skill. I've seen him race a lot and he is very talented.

Overall, it was a good race. And, it looked like the crowd was decent.

Dan Gurney's son driving his dad's car was great to see as well.

TravelGal
04-27-18, 06:56 PM
I was in Florida this past weekend taking care of the committal of TravelMom's ashes. It went very well, thank you for asking. I came home to my rain delay recording. Even Vasser admitted they probably should have black flagged it sooner. Recalling the ghosts of Surfers 2002. Today, whilst doing my laundry, I discovered who actually won the race and why. Gotta trust your team!

Mary
04-29-18, 09:11 AM
TravelGal, please accept my condolences.

Mary

Mary
04-29-18, 09:42 AM

Great race, nice cars.

I hear you. You're a fan now and you like the series for what it is and you don't get why others can't just accept this and enjoy it.

I used to feel that way. I remember during a particularly good CART street race, they interviewed A.J. Foyt after his car was knocked out (IIRC, Cheever was the driver) and he said something to the effect of "all they're doing is out-braking each other. I can still do that." I thought he sounded like a jerk and I couldn't understand why he was so against CART (the IRL started the next season, this was 1995, the last pre-split year). IIRC there were not any American rookies at Indy that year, and I remember the disgust and disdain in some of the comments I heard then. They were still mad that Jeff Gordon never got his "shot at Indy."

I've only watched on IRL/IndyCar race since the split and that was the 2017 Indy 500, the first time I'd watched that race since 1995. This was because Fernando Alonso was in. Unless somebody like that runs this year, I won't be watching again. It was fine, BTW, one of the better 500s, but I'm still alienated and don't want to support them.

I don't think CART won (for one thing, I'd still be watching) but that doesn't really matter anymore. If 25 years from now, you still like the series and the direction it took, great. But that didn't happen for me.

Mary

Lux Interior
04-29-18, 10:04 AM
Nothing that the IRL or Indycar put out has ever come close to the magic felt when seeing CART. Not even close.

TravelGal
04-29-18, 02:06 PM
Nothing that the IRL or Indycar put out has ever come close to the magic felt when seeing CART. Not even close.

This.

And, thank you, Mary. The TravelMom stuff was actually a beautiful day. It's been three years since she passed away after a long and meaningful life. We had to wait until the church pulled itself together to get their memorial garden established. So many of Mom's friends came, once again, to honor her. It was quite moving. Missing TravelGuy, less than two months after he passed away is the hard part. :(

opinionated ow
04-30-18, 07:04 AM

No probably not but for the first time since about 2002 the embers are sparking just a little. There's life in the old dog yet and IF it gets the right guidance there is a market for something to grow. I doubt it will ever be what CART was but with the right people in the tent anything is possible. I haven't watched Alabama yet but the crowd at Long Beach was huge. The race at Phoenix was pretty decent and St Pete proved to be a good start to the year. The cars look alright but the sound is still a bit lacking.

SteveH
04-30-18, 07:40 AM
LB 2018 had 2,000 more attendees for all three days than 2017. Not a significant increase.

G.
04-30-18, 05:34 PM
LB 2018 had 2,000 more attendees for all three days than 2017. Not a significant increase.

That would be a 50% increase at some tracks.

Hard Driver
05-03-18, 02:14 AM
I hear you. You're a fan now and you like the series for what it is and you don't get why others can't just accept this and enjoy it.

I used to feel that way. I remember during a particularly good CART street race, they interviewed A.J. Foyt after his car was knocked out (IIRC, Cheever was the driver) and he said something to the effect of "all they're doing is out-braking each other. I can still do that." I thought he sounded like a jerk and I couldn't understand why he was so against CART (the IRL started the next season, this was 1995, the last pre-split year). IIRC there were not any American rookies at Indy that year, and I remember the disgust and disdain in some of the comments I heard then. They were still mad that Jeff Gordon never got his "shot at Indy."

I've only watched on IRL/IndyCar race since the split and that was the 2017 Indy 500, the first time I'd watched that race since 1995. This was because Fernando Alonso was in. Unless somebody like that runs this year, I won't be watching again. It was fine, BTW, one of the better 500s, but I'm still alienated and don't want to support them.

I don't think CART won (for one thing, I'd still be watching) but that doesn't really matter anymore. If 25 years from now, you still like the series and the direction it took, great. But that didn't happen for me.

Mary

I was a CART fan and a Champcar fan and think the IRL was terrible for the sport and a terrible league. But I would say that the current Indycar is not the IRL, and there is no Tony George, etc. I was a foaming at the mouth angry at the IRL guy, but really don't think the current Indycar is that, or even a derivative of that. I mean they designed the new car (OK Body kit) to intentionally look like the days of CART because that is what they are trying to be. The schedule has gone back to the classic tracks like Mid-Ohio and Road America. They cheer foreign talent, like Fernando and Bourdais. And they count Champcar Champions as Indycar Champions in their statistics. The IRL isn't mentioned and it seems like it is treated like one of those mistakes in life that you never mention and don't want to admit to.

I understand where you are coming from, and even still resent a bit that the Hulman family is still in the background somewhere. I actually take satisfaction that Tony George was humiliated, disgraced and fired. I even think following the current Indycar as they try to get back to the days of CART is a way to emphasis to the old IRL people how bad they sucked. Kind of like dancing on their graves. Heck, if Paul Tracy, who coined the crapwagon name and had an Indy 500 win stolen from him, can become a broadcaster and embrace the series, you might try to separate what Indycar is now from the old IRL. The actual racing is pretty good, cars look pretty good this year, and the d-bags that ruined it are pretty much gone, so you don't have to feel like you are supporting the people who ruined what you loved. Like I said, I feel that supporting it now is a way to spite those that ruined it.. Just my opinion. But I respect yours too.

Hard Driver
05-15-18, 10:22 PM
OMG, I take back my last post... Now that the CBS crew of IRL losers has taken over from the NBCSN crew, I couldn't watch.. Just can't stand Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever.

opinionated ow
05-16-18, 07:18 AM
OMG, I take back my last post... Now that the CBS crew of IRL losers has taken over from the NBCSN crew, I couldn't watch.. Just can't stand Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever.

I struggled through. I'm not sure who is the worst of them...Bestwick, Cheever or Goodyear. Thanks Goodness NBC has Bell, Tracy, Miller. I wish they would get rid of Leigh Diffey although I'd prefer it if you kept him on your side of the Pacific Ocean please.

Rus'L
05-16-18, 02:52 PM

CBS????

Rus'L
05-16-18, 02:53 PM
I struggled through. I'm not sure who is the worst of them...Bestwick, Cheever or Goodyear. Thanks Goodness NBC has Bell, Tracy, Miller. I wish they would get rid of Leigh Diffey although I'd prefer it if you kept him on your side of the Pacific Ocean please.

Diffey is an American citizen now, so you don't have to worry...

Hard Driver
05-16-18, 05:35 PM
CBS???? Whoops, ABC.

Mary
05-17-18, 11:46 AM
This.

And, thank you, Mary. The TravelMom stuff was actually a beautiful day. It's been three years since she passed away after a long and meaningful life. We had to wait until the church pulled itself together to get their memorial garden established. So many of Mom's friends came, once again, to honor her. It was quite moving. Missing TravelGuy, less than two months after he passed away is the hard part. :(

Sending you heart emojis, TravelGal (finding them is way beyond my skill set).

Mary

Lux Interior
05-17-18, 04:44 PM
Paul Tracy is great. He doesn’t pull punches.

opinionated ow
05-18-18, 11:47 PM
Paul Tracy is great. He doesn’t pull punches.

What did PT say/do this week?

TKGAngel
05-19-18, 06:07 PM
If you would have told me earlier this week that Hinch would have been a casualty of this year's Indy bumping, I would have looked at you like you were nuts.

Lux Interior
05-19-18, 06:30 PM
What happened to him? Unbelievable that he could not qualify.

Lux Interior
05-19-18, 06:31 PM
Besides eating a lot, I have no clue what PT did this week.

nissan gtp
05-20-18, 09:14 AM
What happened to him? Unbelievable that he could not qualify.

among other things, terrible timing getting on the track for laps. In his last chance, heavy vibratations, so he came back in and ran out of time

opinionated ow
05-20-18, 11:06 AM
among other things, terrible timing getting on the track for laps. In his last chance, heavy vibratations, so he came back in and ran out of time

Plus the gun went off at 5:50PM rather than 6:00PM like it had done all week.

Ed_Severson
05-20-18, 09:39 PM
Plus the gun went off at 5:50PM rather than 6:00PM like it had done all week.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. The qualifying schedule has been like that for several years now. It’s not like they arbitrarily ended the session 10 minutes early; it ended when it was scheduled to end.

opinionated ow
05-21-18, 07:07 AM
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. The qualifying schedule has been like that for several years now. It’s not like they arbitrarily ended the session 10 minutes early; it ended when it was scheduled to end.

Thanks for clarifying Ed! I'm only going off what I read around the traps. My trip to Indy is yet to happen. I hope maybe in two years.

TravelGal
06-03-18, 04:14 PM
Belle Isle #1.
Charlie Batch gave the best, "Drivers, start your engines!" I think I've ever heard. No doubt from overdeveloped lungs shouting out all those football calls.
Next up, one of the three Amigos says, "I wonder whether x or y or z, or ANY of the 23 drivers will win this race." Well, yes, darlin' I supposed at least one of the 23 drivers that started this race will win it.

I turned off the sound until the winner interviews. That smile blinded me so I had to listen to the words. :cool:

rabbit
06-03-18, 05:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsu5w2b1FtY

Must see TV :rofl::rofl::rofl:

rabbit
06-04-18, 02:21 PM
Interesting take:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/motor/2018/06/03/detroit-grand-prix-indy-car-motor-sports/667445002/

opinionated ow
06-05-18, 05:02 AM
I'm up to watching the 500 and this year's races have been good. Even the one at Phoenix that Robin Miller said was tedious at the venue (the upcoming 200bhp boost will certainly help with that race) have been entertaining and the driver line up is the best it's been sincw about 1998. Can't really complain.

TravelGal
06-06-18, 01:32 PM
The beginning was -- different. Prime time Sunday and they start with an avoidable 40-minute yellow flag? That'll cement your audience for ya. :shakehead: I SO wished that PT and Tommy were there to comment. I don't like Rossi. I was happy at the end. I was also happy at the end because the three bozos were gone from my life for good. Hallelujah.

Hard Driver
06-06-18, 11:18 PM
The beginning was -- different. Prime time Sunday and they start with an avoidable 40-minute yellow flag? That'll cement your audience for ya. :shakehead: I SO wished that PT and Tommy were there to comment. I don't like Rossi. I was happy at the end. I was also happy at the end because the three bozos were gone from my life for good. Hallelujah.

Yes, I can't take another second of Cheever and Goodyear and whachamafacey

rabbit
06-07-18, 09:45 AM

In all fairness, I don’t think there was a whole lot they could do to avoid the yellow. And while I’m not a fan of “celebrity” pace car job (leave it to the professionals) I did read somewhere that the guy has a Class C FIA license, FWIW.

Just out of curiosity, why don’t you like Rossi? What’s not to like about him?

TravelGal
06-07-18, 07:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, why don’t you like Rossi? What’s not to like about him?

It's a girl thing, I think. He was so blase about winning the 100th, didn't do it on skill but fuel strategy, and still has the personality of wet flounder IMHO. That said, one of the very top drivers in the field so I'll be hating him for a long time, I'm afraid. :)

rabbit
06-08-18, 11:55 AM
It's a girl thing, I think. He was so blase about winning the 100th, didn't do it on skill but fuel strategy, and still has the personality of wet flounder IMHO. That said, one of the very top drivers in the field so I'll be hating him for a long time, I'm afraid. :)

I can see that. He's definitely more on the Scott Dixon end of the scale vs. the Paul Tracy end. I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of his Indy win. I mean, he did post the fastest lap of the race, so he had the speed to win.

TravelGal
06-08-18, 12:03 PM
I can see that. He's definitely more on the Scott Dixon end of the scale vs. the Paul Tracy end. I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of his Indy win. I mean, he did post the fastest lap of the race, so he had the speed to win.

But I LOVE Scott Dixon! But then, I'm a South Pacific specialist in my travel business. ;) Don't get me wrong, I agree Rossi is one of the best, as posting the fastest lap shows, and he was obviously near enough to the front for the fuel strategy to work. It I just grates, that's all.

TKGAngel
06-08-18, 12:51 PM

I too, thought Rossi was a little standoffish, but after watching him on The Amazing Race and listening to him on his podcast with Hinch, I've changed my mind. He's pretty funny, but has a definite conservative/serious side.

That said, I thought he was kind of a wet flounder (love that phrase) after his flub at Detroit. To me, it came across as him trying to blame the team rather than himself for what happened.

opinionated ow
06-09-18, 03:13 AM
I too, thought Rossi was a little standoffish, but after watching him on The Amazing Race and listening to him on his podcast with Hinch, I've changed my mind. He's pretty funny, but has a definite conservative/serious side.

That said, I thought he was kind of a wet flounder (love that phrase) after his flub at Detroit. To me, it came across as him trying to blame the team rather than himself for what happened.

Robin Miller said much the same. I rate him and I find it interesting how the different cars of F1 and Indy despite superficial similarities require different driving skills. I think the old F1, pre hybrid and spec tyres was a lot more like Indy and the drivers swapped over with relative ease (Villeneuve, Montoya, da Matta, Mansell) but so much has changed with F1 that it requires a different skill set (compare Schumacher pre and post retirement)

TravelGal
06-10-18, 01:27 AM
Favorite comment was Dixon saying prerace that last year "those that were left" had good racing at the end. Cracked me up. Based on rabbit's assessment, I listened to Rossi post race. Have to agree that he is certainly a different person from what I remember. I shall probably stop fast forwarding through his interviews but that's the best I can do so far. Glad to have PT and Townsend back. Their observations are so keen, especially compared to the ARC dullards.

Easy
06-11-18, 04:29 PM
I think Rossi's post Indy 500 win demeanor was due to shock more than anything else. He simply didn't think it was possible that day. Also, he qualified 11th, dropped to P-25+, made it back to the front then dropped back to P-25+ again due to refueling issues and was still the fastest to complete 500 miles. I don't see how that's an undeserving win.

TravelGal
06-11-18, 05:42 PM
I think Rossi's post Indy 500 win demeanor was due to shock more than anything else. He simply didn't think it was possible that day. Also, he qualified 11th, dropped to P-25+, made it back to the front then dropped back to P-25+ again due to refueling issues and was still the fastest to complete 500 miles. I don't see how that's an undeserving win.

You guys are persuading me. LOL.

TravelGal
06-25-18, 01:30 PM
Does anyone else watch the pre-show? I could swear I saw Bruno Junquiera standing there off to the left of the person being interviewed.

As for the race, I quite enjoyed it. I sort of zoned out for the last 20 laps or so but otherwise it reminded me of the old days when you were keen to see what was happening throughout the field. I also noticed, as I fast forwarded through the side-by-side stuff, that the camera nearly always stayed locked on the leaders. That was nice since nothing was going on up there anyway. :thumbup:

RTKar
06-29-18, 10:13 AM
I went to Road America for the Indy Car race, first time since the last Champcar race their. I was interested in the newest edition of the car, it's look and sound. The crowd was pretty good, nearing what once attended CART races, although it felt as if the demograhic was somewhat different. For lack of a better description, more "Mindy" than sporty car. The cars look better, sound ok but appear to not be able to run well together and execute passes. the field was strung out providing two hours of processional "racing". Over the last few years RA has been making improvements on the facilities, unfortunately to help pay for them they're raising the cost of vendor space. There were few vendors :thumbdown: The GT race after the indy car race was pretty good, many more attempts to pass with side by side action. All in all, a decent race day despite it being the earl. :tony:

opinionated ow
06-30-18, 08:01 AM
I went to Road America for the Indy Car race, first time since the last Champcar race their. I was interested in the newest edition of the car, it's look and sound. The crowd was pretty good, nearing what once attended CART races, although it felt as if the demograhic was somewhat different. For lack of a better description, more "Mindy" than sporty car. The cars look better, sound ok but appear to not be able to run well together and execute passes. the field was strung out providing two hours of processional "racing". Over the last few years RA has been making improvements on the facilities, unfortunately to help pay for them they're raising the cost of vendor space. There were few vendors :thumbdown: The GT race after the indy car race was pretty good, many more attempts to pass with side by side action. All in all, a decent race day despite it being the earl. :tony:

Did we watch the same race? Either they managed to do a bloody good job of turning something dull into something pretty reasonable for tv or we have very different expectations!

TravelGal
06-30-18, 12:07 PM
Did we watch the same race? Either they managed to do a bloody good job of turning something dull into something pretty reasonable for tv or we have very different expectations!

Thanks OOW. I thought the same thing. Actually, I think they did the bloody good job on TV. They managed to catch most of the action, in all the corners, in all the "parade," which one would not see from a stationary location. Having decent TV announcers talk at you helps also. RTKar, do you have a scanner? I almost always kept mine on my fave driver and race control. That helped a lot at the track.

nissan gtp
07-02-18, 08:07 AM
The six hour IMSA race at Watkins Glen was outstanding.

RTKar
07-02-18, 09:00 AM
I do have scanner but didn't bring it to the race. We watched from the two best passing corners, "5" and Canada. During the CART years, I'd watch from the grandstand in T- 5 with my scanner on. I'll have to watch the DVR'd race to see how it compares to what I witnessed from my vantage points. I just didn't see enough real passing attempts to consider it an action filled race.

I don't follow this series near what I did in the CART era and probably never will.

TravelGal
07-02-18, 04:20 PM
I don't follow this series near what I did in the CART era and probably never will.

This.

But I do watch the races on DVR.

opinionated ow
07-04-18, 07:54 AM
This.

But I do watch the races on DVR.

I've started to watch all the races on youtube this year and the only complaints I have are that the car is spec and the ABC coverage was appalling. This is pretty much CART. The tracks, drivers and teams are practically what we had between 1990 and 2000 and the younger drivers are the sort that would have come if it had stayed strong

SteveH
07-04-18, 09:10 AM
It’s more than the cars are spec, the engines are so emasculated that they last several races. Even with two manufacturers the engines are nearly identical with the performance bar set so low.

meh

gerhard911
07-04-18, 09:26 PM
gET REAL. iT'S ALL *****. :tony:

RTKar
07-05-18, 09:42 AM
It’s more than the cars are spec, the engines are so emasculated that they last several races. Even with two manufacturers the engines are nearly identical with the performance bar set so low.

meh

While I was watching at Road America, one of the things I was thinking, was the cars needed a little more power. More diversity would certainly help the series too (Ford). A guy I stood next to in the rundown to Canada Corner had a speed gun, he clocked the fastest cars at 176 mph if I recall correctly. I'm not sure how that compares to the old days, it seemed slower (?). :tony:

opinionated ow
07-05-18, 10:33 AM
While I was watching at Road America, one of the things I was thinking, was the cars needed a little more power. More diversity would certainly help the series too (Ford). I guy I stood next to in the rundown to Canada Corner had a speed gun, he clocked the fastest cars at 176 mph if I recall correctly. I'm not sure how that compares to the old days, it seemed slower (?). :tony:

Well they're supposed to be at 900bhp in the next 3 years or something so I guess that will solve that problem

TravelGal
07-06-18, 04:01 PM
This is pretty much CART. The tracks, drivers and teams are practically what we had between 1990 and 2000 and the younger drivers are the sort that would have come if it had stayed strong

From that standpoint, maybe. At the track, it's still the IRL. :(

Rus'L
07-11-18, 05:24 PM
The six hour IMSA race at Watkins Glen was outstanding.

But freaking HOT.

nissan gtp
07-11-18, 08:31 PM
But freaking HOT.

For once, glad I wasn’t there.

Mosport race was good as well.

TravelGal
07-17-18, 12:09 PM
Streets of Toronto. Dixon was clearly upset pre-race. Either about qualifying or just having people breathing down his tailpipe for the championship. Probably the best first lap I've ever seen. Then boring for a space, then action. Repeat, repeat. Glad to see Connor Daly so happy and what about the Veach interview? What a kid. :) Reminds you why the drivers got into the sport.

Lux Interior
07-17-18, 12:40 PM
Best race in a while. Felt like the old CART days sort of.

Hard Driver
07-31-18, 10:26 AM
Mid-Ohio was an great race. Yes, Rossi won on a fuel strategy, but basically the backmarkers and blown pit stop kept the three stop Wickens out of it. Really enjoyed the one track battles, including a passes for the lead on a road course.

opinionated ow
08-01-18, 05:52 AM
Best race in a while. Felt like the old CART days sort of.

toronto was great. Yet to watch Mid Ohio (have to wait for then to put it on youtube) but apparently the crowd was massive.

TravelGal
08-20-18, 01:21 AM
It's rare to be more involved by the red flag delay than by the race itself. That said, I'm not encouraged by the lack of information on Robert Wickens. Of course, there is nothing on the "official website." I broke my rule and looked there. I don't even like to give them the satisfaction of another viewer. This is the only update I could find. :( https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-wickens-orthopedic-injuries-vicious-233423189.html

opinionated ow
08-20-18, 02:58 AM
It's rare to be more involved by the red flag delay than by the race itself. That said, I'm not encouraged by the lack of information on Robert Wickens. Of course, there is nothing on the "official website." I broke my rule and looked there. I don't even like to give them the satisfaction of another viewer. This is the only update I could find. :( https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-wickens-orthopedic-injuries-vicious-233423189.html

They had an update about 4 hours ago
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlAp-qHW0AEvShb.jpg:large

Tentatively I'd call it good news because 20 years ago that may well have been fatal. Spinal injuries worries me though.

TKGAngel
08-20-18, 07:53 AM
They had an update about 4 hours ago
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlAp-qHW0AEvShb.jpg:large

Tentatively I'd call it good news because 20 years ago that may well have been fatal. Spinal injuries worries me though.

According to PT, its a possible cracked vertebrae and the arm/leg injuries are two broken ankles and a broken arm.

That wreck was not only terrifying, but the different camera angles show that it could have been so much worse. RHR's roll hoop and camera were destroyed by Wickens car and if Scott Dixon had moved an inch to the right, he would have speared Wickens car sliding down the track.

TravelGal
08-20-18, 12:50 PM
According to PT, its a possible cracked vertebrae and the arm/leg injuries are two broken ankles and a broken arm.

That wreck was not only terrifying, but the different camera angles show that it could have been so much worse. RHR's roll hoop and camera were destroyed by Wickens car and if Scott Dixon had moved an inch to the right, he would have speared Wickens car sliding down the track.

OOW, that update is the exactly what was in my link. And what AP wrote today. Thank you TKG for the update from PT. I follow him on Twitter but I never check my Twitter feed so, oh well. Seb, always the plain talker, was right when he said, "At least he's alive." You are so right that it could have been much worse. It was flying debris that killed Justin and heaven knows what flew right over RHR's head. Dixon could have speared Wickens or been speared by him. Either way: bad news. Probably why Townsend and PT were so complimentary about how Dixon threaded his way through. They were smart enough not to make it worse by saying what could have been. The look of shock on their faces said enough.

JoeBob
08-21-18, 11:41 AM
Sadly, it’s the same old IRL when it comes to injury reports: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/indycar/2018/08/21/robert-wickens-undergoes-successful-spine-surgery/1050555002/

JoeBob
08-21-18, 12:10 PM
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1031895078460116992

gjc2
08-22-18, 06:19 AM
Sadly, it’s the same old IRL when it comes to injury reports: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/indycar/2018/08/21/robert-wickens-undergoes-successful-spine-surgery/1050555002/

I think in this case they don't know what to say. They don't want to make it sound like he's going to be OK when he may not.

They say there is an injury to his spinal cord. Is there any such thing as a minor injury to a spinal cord? Are spinal cord injuries ever completely cured?

Elmo T
08-22-18, 08:42 AM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2018/08/21/robert-wickens-undergoes-successful-spine-surgery/1050436002/

While the consulted expert quickly notes he is making educated guesses - it is a pretty good idea of what is likely going on.

Reality is Wickens is very very sick. And while I think they probably have a good idea about the severity of the spinal injury - it is too early to make any long term prognosis over his overall recovery.

TravelGal
08-22-18, 01:06 PM
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2018/08/21/robert-wickens-undergoes-successful-spine-surgery/1050436002/

While the consulted expert quickly notes he is making educated guesses - it is a pretty good idea of what is likely going on.

Reality is Wickens is very very sick. And while I think they probably have a good idea about the severity of the spinal injury - it is too early to make any long term prognosis over his overall recovery.

While this reminds me of the guy who kept writing what "might have happened" after Schumacher's accident, it confirms much of what I'm thinking. All they have done is "stabilize." No repairing. Further study needed. Thoracic injuries. No extent gauged yet. :( gjc2 is right that they don't want to say too much but it's oh too easy fall back to the tried and true of saying nothing. It's annoying because they treat us like morons.

cameraman
08-22-18, 03:25 PM
When it comes to those kind of injuries you won't know the outcome for quite a while. There's swelling which causes damage but you won't know how much until it subsides. They aren't saying much most likely because they would be largely guessing about his prognosis.

TravelGal
08-23-18, 12:22 PM
When it comes to those kind of injuries you won't know the outcome for quite a while. There's swelling which causes damage but you won't know how much until it subsides. They aren't saying much most likely because they would be largely guessing about his prognosis.

Very good points, cameraman. I should have remembered that. Still, it would be nice if they were half as informative as you are. Thanks for the post.

JoeBob
08-25-18, 09:12 PM
Bits and pieces of updates: https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/08/08-24-Wickens-medical-update
http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/23142/indycar-injured-robert-wickens-now-breathing-without-medical-assistance

He's had more surgeries, and "For the first time following his Aug. 19 incident at Pocono Raceway, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens is breathing without medical assistance and speaking with his family"

rabbit
09-02-18, 10:39 AM
25 cars on the grid for the return to Portland today. Haven’t seen those kinds of numbers in a long time.

opinionated ow
09-03-18, 01:14 AM
25 cars on the grid for the return to Portland today. Haven’t seen those kinds of numbers in a long time.

If all the serious rumoured entries come about they could be looking upwards of 24 for the whole season:
Confirmed:
-Penske x3
-Ganassi x2
-Andretti x4
-Foyt x2
-Carlin x2
-Juncos x2
-Coyne x2
-Harding x2
-Schmidt Petersen x2
-Rahal etc x1

Confirmed 22 full time already.

Confirmed 1 part time in Meyer Shank Racing.

Rumours that look solid:
-Rahal etc +1
-McLaren +2 (possibly run by Harding in collaboration with Andretti)
-Scuderia Corsa +1 (IMSA team)

TravelGal
09-03-18, 12:58 PM
Portland looked pretty packed. I have great memories of that city, the track, and the race. Those were the days of the Jimmy and Ryan cars. This race kept my attention. What do you guys think of the Veach incident? Announcers very pro, Rahal very anti.

rabbit
09-03-18, 07:37 PM
What do you guys think of the Veach incident? Announcers very pro, Rahal very anti.

To me it looked like Veach was clear of Hinch at the exit of 2 and Hinch stuck his nose in on the entry to 3. I don’t think Veach owed him any room. That said, lap one might not be the best time to be slamming the door on someone.

https://youtu.be/bd02QeXBjcg

indyfan31
09-04-18, 11:12 AM
To me it looked like Veach was clear of Hinch at the exit of 2 and Hinch stuck his nose in on the entry to 3. I don’t think Veach owed him any room. That said, lap one might not be the best time to be slamming the door on someone.

https://youtu.be/bd02QeXBjcg

Well they went out of frame on the aerial shot, but they were side-by-side through 2, so Veach (or his spotter) had to know Hinch was there.
That said, if you're already riding the curb going in to 3, perhaps it's a good time to lift.

rabbit
09-04-18, 03:35 PM
Well they went out of frame on the aerial shot, but they were side-by-side through 2, so Veach (or his spotter) had to know Hinch was there.
That said, if you're already riding the curb going in to 3, perhaps it's a good time to lift.
They were side-by-side through 2, but Veach mostly cleared him on the exit until Hinch tried to stick his nose in on the rumble strips in 3. When Rahal was shown the replay, the clip started at the entry to 3 and not the lead up to it. I think his assessment might have been different had he seen the context.

indyfan31
09-05-18, 04:22 PM
They were side-by-side through 2, but Veach mostly cleared him on the exit until Hinch tried to stick his nose in on the rumble strips in 3. When Rahal was shown the replay, the clip started at the entry to 3 and not the lead up to it. I think his assessment might have been different had he seen the context.

"kind of in jail"
"a little pregnant"
"mostly clear" :D

TKGAngel
09-06-18, 07:20 PM
SPM gave another update on Wickens (http://spmindycar.com/2018/09/06/medical-updates-on-robert-wickens/) to quash some of the rumor-mongering/accusations of secrecy.

Among the injuries Wickens sustained were:

Thoracic spinal fracture
Spinal cord injury
Neck fracture
Tibia and fibula fractures to both legs
Fractures in both hands
Fractured right forearm
Fractured elbow
Four fractured ribs
Pulmonary contusion

The release also mentions that the spinal cord injury remains indeterminate and could be awhile before there is a clear answer.

:eek:

SteveH
09-06-18, 09:59 PM
Really sad news

TravelGal
09-07-18, 01:44 AM
Really sad news

:( Indeed. "Physicians stress it could take weeks or months for the full effects of the injury to be known." Not good.

I read elsewhere that cards for Wickens, and (thoughtfully) messages of support for the team should be sent to: Schmidt Petersen Motorsports, Attn: Veronica Knowlton, 6803 Coffman Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46268.

opinionated ow
09-07-18, 09:52 AM
SPM gave another update on Wickens (http://spmindycar.com/2018/09/06/medical-updates-on-robert-wickens/) to quash some of the rumor-mongering/accusations of secrecy.

The release also mentions that the spinal cord injury remains indeterminate and could be awhile before there is a clear answer.

:eek:

That's the tough part about spinal cord injuries...until the swelling goes down nobody knows. He could be perfectly fine when that happens or could have any manner of disabilities. Praying that it's much more the former rather than the latter. I like that Schmidt-Petersen have said the car will be waiting for him whenever he should want it back.