PDA

View Full Version : We lost another one

TravelGal
03-02-18, 04:41 PM
I know there is thread somewhere about 7G and OC'ers that have passed but I can't seem to find it. It breaks my heart to have to tell you that TravelGuy AKA GManFan died last night. He was okay at 4 PM and gone by 6:21 PM. Aortic dissection, they said. He fell in love with me the first time he saw my face. That was June 1, 1980. We celebrated that day as enthusiastically as we did our actual wedding anniversary. I love you, Larry. I'll miss you. :cry:

SteveH
03-02-18, 06:00 PM
Oh my dear friend, I am so sorry for you.

I wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead.

nissan gtp
03-02-18, 06:15 PM
On my, so sorry to hear that. :cry:

G.
03-02-18, 06:47 PM
Oh dear!

I am so sorry for your loss.

WickerBill
03-02-18, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry TGal. I wish for peace for you.

RTKar
03-02-18, 06:49 PM
So sorry to hear this, my condolences.

Rick

gjc2
03-02-18, 07:21 PM
My sincere condolences

gerhard911
03-02-18, 07:25 PM
So, so, sorry to hear this. Godspeed for TravelGuy and strength to see you through this difficult time.

opinionated ow
03-02-18, 08:44 PM
So sad. Please accept my condolences. God bless you

TravelGal
03-02-18, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys. I can't believe how hard this is. There is never "enough" time but 2 1/2 hours is really awfully short to realize that after nearly 40 years you'll never see your love again. :(

Turn7
03-02-18, 11:57 PM
My prayers will be for your grief to be shortened and for you to find peace in your memories.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

stroker
03-03-18, 12:59 AM
I have no words. I'm so sorry... :cry:

nrc
03-03-18, 01:41 AM
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard this must be. Praying for your peace and comfort.

Kiwifan
03-03-18, 03:25 AM
Oh Gal, Lesley and I are so so sorry for your loss. We still cherish the day we met you and Larry and the hospitality you showed us.

I know we are so far away but like many of your friends we are thinking of you at this sad time.

TravelGal
03-03-18, 12:39 PM
Oh Gal, Lesley and I are so so sorry for your loss. We still cherish the day we met you and Larry and the hospitality you showed us.

I know we are so far away but like many of your friends we are thinking of you at this sad time.

Thanks, Rusty. I'm sorry I never replied to your long message but I was taking care of Larry as he recovered from the "minor" back surgery in late January. There were never enough hours in the day. The irony of ironies is that his back was okay by this week. :cry:

Kiwifan
03-03-18, 02:27 PM
That’s ok Gal, we just hope you have some support at this sad time. Have you got Family close by that you can have around you at this sad time?

Rusty.

chop456
03-05-18, 01:31 AM
Very sorry to hear that. Our condolences.

TravelGal
03-05-18, 10:54 AM
Thanks again, guys. To say this is hard is an understatement. Rusty, there is almost no family. No kids, no brothers or sisters. Larry's brother was older and died about 15 years ago. He had two children. One of them is already gone as is HER daughter (!!!!). There is one niece and great grand niece on his side. I have cousins and their children. The grandchildren (ages 2 and 4) were the light of Larry's life.

My mother used to tell me often, "You don't have to live your whole life at one time." That may sound familiar to some of you. The problem is, after nearly 40 years, I can't imagine what any life will be like without the guy I spoke to dozens and dozens of times a day. It's so lonely.

There is so much to learn and most of it I don't WANT to learn. I mean, what do you single people fix for dinner? Last night I made a dinner he and I had had recently a few times. [It was delicious but I realized I was wolfing it down. Just to be finished. This is the beginning of the first week alone. I guess I'm still in shock. You guys have helped a lot, just by being there. :cry:

Insomniac
03-05-18, 02:50 PM
I don't have too many words besides cliches like one step/day at a time. I can only imagine the kind of change you are/will be experiencing. As for single people and dinner, go out, takeout, delivery, maybe cook.

Don Quixote
03-05-18, 06:57 PM
So sorry to hear this. Condolences.

trish
03-07-18, 11:14 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts.

nrc
03-07-18, 12:39 PM
Thanks again, guys. To say this is hard is an understatement. Rusty, there is almost no family. No kids, no brothers or sisters. Larry's brother was older and died about 15 years ago. He had two children. One of them is already gone as is HER daughter (!!!!). There is one niece and great grand niece on his side. I have cousins and their children. The grandchildren (ages 2 and 4) were the light of Larry's life.

My mother used to tell me often, "You don't have to live your whole life at one time." That may sound familiar to some of you. The problem is, after nearly 40 years, I can't imagine what any life will be like without the guy I spoke to dozens and dozens of times a day. It's so lonely.

There is so much to learn and most of it I don't WANT to learn. I mean, what do you single people fix for dinner? Last night I made a dinner he and I had had recently a few times. [It was delicious but I realized I was wolfing it down. Just to be finished. This is the beginning of the first week alone. I guess I'm still in shock. You guys have helped a lot, just by being there. :cry:

I wish I could offer some comfort. I think for a start you just have to allow yourself to grieve. My mom went through something similar when she lost her husband. He was younger so I don't think she ever considered that he might go first.

She expressed some of those same feelings. How do you get "back to normal" when normal is gone? How do you adapt your life to this new state when you've suffered such a loss? Eventually she asked Missy how her Mom handled it when Missy's dad passed just over ten years ago. Her answer has been to stay busy and actively engaged with friends and loved ones. She's active in her church community, volunteers at thrift shops, and pursues her interests in quilting, gospel music, and genealogy.

I imagine that all seems pretty empty when the loss is so fresh. But it seems important to eventually get back to having plans and schedules - things to look forward to with other people. It stinks that it can't be with the person that you love most or the life that you hoped for. You'll always miss him. But it's important to know that you can get back to being happy. Even if it's never the same as you'd hoped.

Ferdman
03-08-18, 06:41 PM
Sorry for your loss. Sincere condolences to you.

indyfan31
03-10-18, 01:00 AM
Very sorry to hear about this Marge, my sincere condolences.

Dvdb
03-13-18, 03:17 PM
A little late to the game, Travelgal, but I am so sorry to read this. My sincere condolences.

TravelGal
03-15-18, 02:03 AM
Don't worry, Commish. By tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon, it will be only two weeks. To say the wound is still fresh is an understatement. I appreciate everyone's comments. It's never too late to say a nice thing.

cameraman
03-16-18, 06:33 PM
Very sorry to hear that, you have my sincere condolences

TravelGal
03-16-18, 06:49 PM
Very sorry to hear that, you have my sincere condolences

Thank you, cameraman. Sorry we didn't get to meet up when we made our one trip though Utah a couple of years ago.

pfc_m_drake
03-18-18, 02:13 PM
Very sorry to hear the news TravelGal :(
I hadn't been here in a few weeks, so I'm late to the game as well, but just wanted to pass along my condolences.

Hard Driver
03-25-18, 12:20 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Kiwifan
03-25-18, 01:02 AM
Even though Gal is grieving she has given me some sound advice personally and regarding travel. Thank you Marge.

Rusty.

TravelGal
03-26-18, 11:12 AM
Even though Gal is grieving she has given me some sound advice personally and regarding travel. Thank you Marge.

Rusty.

You're very welcome, Rusty. I'm glad I could help. I'm so thankful we all could meet that time you made it here to SoCal.

Speaking of help, I can see that there are going to be a number of things I need advice on. If the boss is still reading, do you think I could put up a thread to ask for help? Maybe called, "TravelGal looking for Advice" or something like that? Over the years I've put a few things here but many more times than that, TravelGuy would urge me to "ask my friends on OC." He trusted your knowledge implicitly, as do I. I know that as the weeks and months roll by, I'll be needing more help as I tackle everything he did around the house. It's a tough road with no brothers or sisters or children. No built in support network. Thanks, :cry::cry:

nrc
03-26-18, 11:58 AM
You're very welcome, Rusty. I'm glad I could help. I'm so thankful we all could meet that time you made it here to SoCal.

Speaking of help, I can see that there are going to be a number of things I need advice on. If the boss is still reading, do you think I could put up a thread to ask for help? Maybe called, "TravelGal looking for Advice" or something like that? Over the years I've put a few things here but many more times than that, TravelGuy would urge me to "ask my friends on OC." He trusted your knowledge implicitly, as do I. I know that as the weeks and months roll by, I'll be needing more help as I tackle everything he did around the house. It's a tough road with no brothers or sisters or children. No built in support network. Thanks, :cry::cry:

Absolutely! I'm sure the community will gladly share whatever wisdom or experience we have that may be of use.

SteveH
03-26-18, 03:20 PM
:thumbup:

JoeBob
03-31-18, 11:06 AM
:(

I'm so sorry.

TravelGal
03-31-18, 11:18 AM
:(

I'm so sorry.

Hi JoeBob. Thank you. Good to see your name again. I'll never forget discussing that macaroni and cheese recipe. Larry's favorite dish. :)

datachicane
03-31-18, 05:33 PM
Oh, man, that's rough news. :(

JoeBob
03-31-18, 05:53 PM
Hi JoeBob. Thank you. Good to see your name again. I'll never forget discussing that macaroni and cheese recipe. Larry's favorite dish. :)

I still make that macaroni and cheese recipe! It's always a hit! I add a bit of white pepper to give it a kick. Fantastic "secret ingredient."

Here's a beautiful piece about grief. I hope it helps bring you peace: https://www.thelossfoundation.org/grief-comes-in-waves/

rabbit
04-12-18, 08:36 PM
Haven't been on here for awhile... So sorry for your loss, TravelGal. :(