PDA

View Full Version : Danica: Done

rabbit
11-17-17, 04:50 PM
Daytona and Indy, then "retired." (http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/21447666/danica-patrick-end-racing-career-next-year-indianapolis-500)

The lack of progress as Patrick transitioned from IndyCar to NASCAR resulted in her inability to land enough sponsorship to continue full time beyond this season. Stewart-Haas Racing, the only team she has driven for in Cup, has replaced her with Aric Almirola for 2018.

nrc
11-17-17, 05:09 PM
I still think she had potential if she had just stayed in development series until she was ready instead of being promoted as a gimmick.

TravelGal
11-18-17, 03:32 PM
Perhaps but as the development series evaporated along with CART, we'll never know. A lot of drivers have potential but never live up to it for a variety of reasons. Maybe they really weren't THAT good or maybe they came up when a lot of better drivers did too. In any case, she was always a mid-packer to me. I'll repeat that those of us at the last real Long Beach race in 2008 heard the LIVE interview with Helio from Japan saying they came on his com and asked him to let her by. He tried to recover by saying he didn't know it was for position. Yeah, except that she "won" the race at Motegi. :tony:

SteveH
11-18-17, 03:44 PM
Perhaps but as the development series evaporated along with CART, we'll never know. A lot of drivers have potential but never live up to it for a variety of reasons. Maybe they really weren't THAT good or maybe they came up when a lot of better drivers did too. In any case, she was always a mid-packer to me. I'll repeat that those of us at the last real Long Beach race in 2008 heard the LIVE interview with Helio from Japan saying they came on his com and asked him to let her by. He tried to recover by saying he didn't know it was for position. Yeah, except that she "won" the race at Motegi. :tony:

Yeah, and they flew her in to Long Beach to be at the race. Was such a weird weekend.

Have not been to a race since.

opinionated ow
11-19-17, 07:44 PM

King Hiro was a classic example

Wheel-Nut
11-20-17, 12:48 PM
Good to see she could tear up equipment 'til the end!

Lux Interior
11-24-17, 09:30 PM
I remember seeing her in Atlantics. Seems so long ago.

SteveH
11-25-17, 10:13 AM
I remember seeing her in Atlantics. Seems so long ago.

It was a long time ago, she left after the 2004 season. I had met her a few years earlier, she was in an exhibit booth at a convention for a glass supplier who was friends of her family. I might have been the only person who recognized her. We had a very nice discussion. Ironically at that time she only wanted to race on road circuits, not ovals.

Rus'L
11-27-17, 04:52 PM
I still think she had potential if she had just stayed in development series until she was ready instead of being promoted as a gimmick.

She was dirt slow in Barber Dodge.

She was never going to develop.