PDA

View Full Version : Conor Daly

TravelGal
10-26-17, 01:47 PM
So he got the golden boot from Foyt. I've read a range of comments but wonder what the cognoscenti here think. I thought he was respectable and showing improvement even lumbered with the two teams that took him on over these past two years. He might never be Joe New, a series champ, but certainly better than a lot of the deadwood they carry from year to year. What do you think? TIA.

SteveH
10-26-17, 02:15 PM
Don't think the decision was based on talent but on size of check. Whether he can find a ride based solely on talent is unclear. No matter how good he is. Such is the state of open wheel in the US.

Insomniac
10-26-17, 03:13 PM
I assume getting the checks isn't based on talent but more on connections?

TKGAngel
10-26-17, 03:30 PM
Don't think the decision was based on talent but on size of check.

Yep. TK, as awesome as he is, brings $$$ with him to Foyt. Even though ABC Supply loved Conor, he didn't bring $$$ to supplement the ABC funds.

But on a positive note for Daly, he and Rossi are contestants on the next season of The Amazing Race, which just completed filming.

TravelGal
10-26-17, 03:52 PM
Don't think the decision was based on talent but on size of check.

But on a positive note for Daly, he and Rossi are contestants on the next season of The Amazing Race, which just completed filming.

So THAT's where he's putting his sponsorship money, eh? It's not cheap to be a contestant on that show. I had friend once that I thought could win but she said she couldn't find the backing.

As for Connor, I was looking more for your thoughts on his driving. We all know about that it's really money that talks or we wouldn't still have Marco.

Lux Interior
10-26-17, 04:08 PM
Has Marco ever actually won a race?

Insomniac
10-26-17, 07:13 PM
Has Marco ever actually won a race?

Wikipedia says 2 wins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Andretti

Ed_Severson
10-27-17, 07:49 AM
Having worked with him in 2016 at DCR, I think Conor belongs in IndyCar. People forget, but he and Newgarden were pretty equivalent in terms of performance in their junior formula days; Newgarden got the benefit of a multi-year relationship with one team to allow him the time necessary to develop in IndyCar, and Conor did not.

I do think he needs some help on ovals -- a good teammate would be beneficial for sure. Munoz is strong on ovals, but the team was so lost for most of the year that Carlos couldn't even help himself, much less Conor. For the most part his feedback in the car is pretty good, and he really races well, even if he is not particularly fast in qualifying.

I had hoped when he went to Foyt that they would give him a few years in the same environment to find his feet, but a winter yard sale is kind of a tradition at this point, so I'm not surprised. It sounds like there is a strong possibility he ends up at ECR driving the road/street portion of the schedule, and likely a 3rd car at Indy. I'd rather see him full-time, but that is not a bad fallback option for him in 2018. He's a talented kid, in my opinion. I've worked with far worse.

TravelGal
10-27-17, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=Ed_Severson;341563 He's a talented kid, in my opinion. I've worked with far worse.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the inside perspective, Ed. That's what I was hoping. What I like is that he knows how to pass. Most mid-packers or backmarkers are either content with their lot or cause crashes. I'm glad to hear there is talk of his doing the streets/roads at least.

Mary
10-29-17, 05:17 PM
Wikipedia says 2 wins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Andretti

Scanned this article. Didn't know he had an F1 test; said he'd like to drive in F1 only after winning the Indy 500. This was in 2006; I think the moment has passed.

Mary