PDA

View Full Version : IMSA 2018

opinionated ow
10-12-17, 04:19 AM
Next year's IMSA series is looking strong. Mid-Ohio replaces COTA but I think the big news is the amount of factory prototype entries:
-3x Cadillac (Wayne Taylor Racing + Action Express)
-2x Nissan (Extreme Speed/Tequila Patron)
-2x Mazda (Joest!)
-2x Acura (Penske)

Plus you can expect Visit Florida, JDC-Miller (x2), PR1 Mathiesen, D3 Transfomers, BAR1, Starworks and CORE Autosport as full season entries. They're expecting something like 5-10 more LMP2 cars from Europe and Asia for the Daytona 24 and Sebring 12 hour races too which is fairly extraordinary.

Interesting to see that Helio, Montoya are Penske's carried over drivers and they've taken two of the leading Cadillac drivers in Dane Cameron and Jordan Taylor. Taylor tested the Indycar for them early this year and was apparently pretty fast. The third drivers for the cars are Pagenaud (sensible decision from Roger given his experience) and interestingly Graham Rahal. I'm guessing Honda had something to do with that choice.

SteveH
10-12-17, 09:21 AM
-2x Mazda (Joest!)

Most interested in see how this turns out.

Rus'L
10-13-17, 03:22 PM
Most interested in see how this turns out.

Me, too! Though I still say they should be allowed to use the rotary engine...

opinionated ow
10-14-17, 04:37 AM

Under the DPi rules I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't run a rotary. In fact given the rules are designed to equalise pitstop time and the like there should be no disadvantage except marketing.

Rus'L
10-16-17, 02:24 PM
Under the DPi rules I don't think there is any reason why they couldn't run a rotary. In fact given the rules are designed to equalise pitstop time and the like there should be no disadvantage except marketing.

At one point, IMSA outright banned rotaries in their prototype class.

I don't know what the new DPi rules say. Nonetheless, you are correct in that right now, Mazda gains nothing in terms of marketing to run a rotary.

Lux Interior
10-22-17, 01:49 PM
I can't wait for Mid-Ohio. Going to get to Sebring too. :thumbup:

cameraman
10-23-17, 11:53 AM

The rotary is dead in the consumer market as their mpg is horrific. No one is going to spend the money to develop something that can't be marketed.

Rus'L
10-24-17, 02:03 PM
The rotary is dead in the consumer market as their mpg is horrific. No one is going to spend the money to develop something that can't be marketed.

Which is what I said two posts later... :rolleyes:

Lux Interior
01-27-18, 05:28 PM
Anyone watching the Rolex 24? Lot of manufacturers and a pretty talented field.

opinionated ow
01-27-18, 11:20 PM
Anyone watching the Rolex 24? Lot of manufacturers and a pretty talented field.

i'm going to watch the replay on youtube later in the week. Hours really don't work for Australia ;)

TedN
01-28-18, 07:02 AM
I watched quite a bit of the coverage yesterday on FSR here in Canada. When I turned it on this morning at 5:00am, all I see is a reality shows .... no race coverage.

What gives?

Ted
:flaming:

nrc
01-29-18, 12:56 AM
I watched for a bit last night before they ended coverage for the night but the topic of discussion was fueling rig regulations. Even Tommy Kendall couldn't make that interesting.

Lux Interior
04-19-18, 06:16 PM
http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/148800-tracy-considering-additional-sports-car-outings

This would be great. Seen this guy race A LOT

Rus'L
05-01-18, 03:07 PM
IMSA moving its TV coverage to the NBC Sports Group for the next six years, starting in 2019.

cameraman
05-01-18, 07:44 PM
NBCSN does a better job than Fox so good.

Rus'L
05-02-18, 02:41 PM
NBCSN does a better job than Fox so good.

Yep. I think it's a good move by IMSA.

Lux Interior
10-14-18, 07:03 PM
Great Petit LeMans yesterday. A real nail biter.

G.
10-16-18, 03:32 PM
Great Petit LeMans yesterday. A real nail biter.

You ain't kidding!

Lux Interior
01-26-19, 05:59 AM
Just a reminder the Rolex 24 at Daytona is today in case anyone wants to see some live racing on TV.

It's a various channels and I have them all set to record.

There was preview show yesterday that was excellent.

There's an all girl team, and Alex Zanardi is racing as well.

TedN
01-26-19, 12:30 PM
Great news for Canadian Racing Fans …..

The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA), the organization that sanctions the 24-hour race at Daytona and the rest of the WeatherTech championship, including the 12 Hours of Sebring in March and the Mobil 1 Sports Car Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in July, announced on Tuesday that it had reached an agreement for all races on the 2019 schedule to be shown live on the Discovery-Velocity Channel and that a one-hour highlights show following each race would be broadcast by TSN.

Source (https://onlivetvpc.de/rolex24atdaytona/)

Ted

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: