PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket TPMS - Opinions ?

TedN
09-17-17, 01:00 PM
This summer I took delivery of a 2017 Toyota RAV4 XLE FWD. While reading through the owners manual I learned this vehicle is not equipped with a factory Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). Apparently they are not required in Canada and some manufacturers are not including them any more.

I am interested in real-time monitoring of tire pressures at all 4 corners, using a tool like this (https://www.amazon.ca/Cigarette-Lighter-Pressure-External-Charging/dp/B01MDNSI52/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1505082806&sr=8-7&keywords=tpms).

I plan to purchase a set of new winter tires on steel rims and would swap the TPMS sensors back and forth each spring and winter.

Anyone have experience with these devices?

Thanks in advance.

Ted

nrc
09-17-17, 04:45 PM
Wow, that sucks. Seems foolish for Toyota since low tire pressure on SUVs contribute to tire failures and rollovers. Is the OEM system possibly available as an accessory from the dealer?

Sorry, no experience with aftermarket system. As large as those caps look I would wonder about balance issues, but there are none mentioned in the reviews. Because of the hassle removing the caps to add air, I would probably look at a system where they can be installed internal to the wheel like an OEM system. Of course that would mean having a set for each set of wheels.

One real positive I see is that they give you an actual pressure reading for each tire. Every OEM system I've dealt with gives you one warning light and you have to figure out which tire it is and whether it's an actual problem or just a "boy it's cold out today" warning.