PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jerry Lewis

nrc
08-20-17, 04:32 PM
The clown who entertained my generation on many rainy Saturday afternoons has died.

http://variety.com/2017/film/people-news/jerry-lewis-dies-dead-nutty-professor-1202533899/

RIP

TravelGal
08-20-17, 04:54 PM
I was just talking about him last week with someone who works at CBS Television City (which hosted many MDA telethons). I've followed him closely because I so admired that part of his work. The Variety obit has a pretty disorganized timeline that emphasizes his failures and not the huge phenomenon he was from Dean Martin on up. From what I could gather over the years, he was a true force of nature. And an SOB to boot. He was "relieved" of his telethon hosting duties with no notice and no apology, on either side. To their credit, neither side ever gave specifics but I suspect the lesser aspects of his personality were taking hold. Nevertheless, and regardless of the downsides and criticisms, he made MDA a household term, and earned it a ton of money. RIP, Jerry.

JoeBob
08-22-17, 01:57 AM
Does this mean we are closer to The Day The Clown Cried seeing the light of day?

Either way, RIP.