PDA

View Full Version : Sam Knows

TravelGal
08-20-17, 01:43 PM
But does Sam know? I saw this in another group I belong to. Not techie, not racing. No one answered. I wondered if anyone here knows. TIA

www.measuringbroadbandamerica.com/the-project/samknows.com/global-platform
I got an email from my isp, inviting me to get a "SamKnows" box to plug into my modem, and participate in an FCC project to measure actual broadband performance. Apparently the boxes are in use all over Western Europe, N. America, Brazil, Oz, and elsewhere (based on the map shown on the samknows page whose url is above), and they also offer an app to measure mobile internet performance. Would anyone here with more tech knowledge than I have, like to offer advice on whether I'd be dumb to go ahead and volunteer to participate in this project? (I use my internet a lot each day.)

nrc
08-20-17, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't do it for two reasons.

First, the practical tech nerd reason: if you read the instructions they're asking you to direct all of your wired network traffic through this box. I'm not sure why they care about directing all of that traffic through their box (but not your wireless traffic). Maybe it's to make sure that they have priority over your traffic when they're testing. In any case, this is a box that is doing unknown things at unknown times with questionable support. This device is going to always be suspect any time you have network difficulties. If you call your cable company for support the first thing they're going to say is to disconnect that box - but the terms say that you're not going to do that unless you're away for an extended period. It's just a headache that nobody needs.

Second, the tin foil hat reason: direct all my network traffic through a government supplied box? No way, no how. Even in a tin foil hat world where they already have access to all Internet traffic, now they're asking to sit inside of your private network. Nope. Nope. Nope. But never fear, they have strict privacy policies. :rolleyes:

TravelGal
08-20-17, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't do it for two reasons.

First, the practical tech nerd reason: if you read the instructions they're asking you to direct all of your wired network traffic through this box. I'm not sure why they care about directing all of that traffic through their box (but not your wireless traffic). Maybe it's to make sure that they have priority over your traffic when they're testing. In any case, this is a box that is doing unknown things at unknown times with questionable support. This device is going to always be suspect any time you have network difficulties. If you call your cable company for support the first thing they're going to say is to disconnect that box - but the terms say that you're not going to do that unless you're away for an extended period. It's just a headache that nobody needs.

Second, the tin foil hat reason: direct all my network traffic through a government supplied box? No way, no how. Even in a tin foil hat world where they already have access to all Internet traffic, now they're asking to sit inside of your private network. Nope. Nope. Nope. But never fear, they have strict privacy policies. :rolleyes:

I agree totally. On BOTH points. I just needed someone technically smarter than me to corroborate. I wear my tin foil hat quite proudly. In fact, I'm wondering if it's our gummit or the Nigerians (must be the RUSSIANS) behind it.

Insomniac
08-20-17, 08:03 PM
There also seems to be nothing in it for you. Some of my friends had similar offers from Google, but for doing it, they would get free Internet.