PDA

View Full Version : Any drone experts here?

WickerBill
06-21-17, 01:24 PM
My father's day gift this year was weird. It was something like "we got* you a drone!" with the follow-up "we didn't actually get one because we know you're super picky and would want to research it and find your own."

So that said, I need to purchase my own father's day gift and am considering a DJI Phantom 3 Pro vs a DJI Mavic Pro. Any thoughts from the gallery?

Use cases: aerial photography of my many plots of land (hint: 1) and also of my in-laws 300 acre farm. Would be a lot of fun on vacations to places more interesting than Indianapolis, also.

Napoleon
06-21-17, 03:35 PM
Make sure you get one that can launch a Hellfire missile.

cameraman
06-21-17, 06:58 PM
The DJI Mavic Pro has the huge advantage of being small, very small. So it easily fits in a camera bag or backpack and that makes it very easy to get the drone to where you want to fly it. Turns out in real life that matters quite a bit. I know four people who bought drones over the last 4 months, all went with the DJI. They are all very happy but you might want to watch this guy's videos for setting up the camera for optimal video quality.

-mF7ZUiFgBg
7e6qjzvc6s8
j7F1kb9Ypj4
oUNeCMxh5yU

chop456
06-22-17, 05:09 AM
What's the range on those things, anyway? Can they be programmed with GPS? "Go here and land", etc? I want to fly ghosts around my SIL's yard, Brady Bunch-style.

WickerBill
06-22-17, 06:47 AM
What's the range on those things, anyway? Can they be programmed with GPS? "Go here and land", etc? I want to fly ghosts around my SIL's yard, Brady Bunch-style.

The Mavic has something like a 4.1 mile range. You can fly it via your phone, or have your phone connected to the Mavic remote, so you can see the drone's perspective on where it is at all times.

Insomniac
06-22-17, 07:23 AM
I don't know about various drones, but when you mentioned 300 acres, I thought of https://dronemapper.com/.

SteveH
06-22-17, 10:26 AM
The Mavic has something like a 4.1 mile range. You can fly it via your phone, or have your phone connected to the Mavic remote, so you can see the drone's perspective on where it is at all times.

4.1 miles is a long reach. Is the Mavic communicating to your phone via cellular? What happens if communications to your phone is disrupted? Does it automatically return to a preset location?

I know that drones are forbidden in Yellowstone and possibly all National Parks by now. Supposedly a few years ago one went down in a hot springs in Yellowstone.

When I was in Iceland last Sept. it was somewhat unnerving to have a drone flying (low) overhead while viewing some sort of geological wonder. Experienced that 3 or 4 times. However, there are some drone videos on YouTube of Iceland that are absolutely breathtaking. Certainly provides a perspective that you can't get otherwise. I sort of wish I had access to one then however the weather wasn't all that friendly so most of the time it would have remained in the car. I could see getting one in the future but I think in many places their use will eventually be restricted.

dirtyboy
06-22-17, 10:30 AM
How does the camera do with reflections on windows?

WickerBill
06-22-17, 10:41 AM
4.1 miles is a long reach. Is the Mavic communicating to your phone via cellular? What happens if communications to your phone is disrupted? Does it automatically return to a preset location?

The DJI drones do exactly that, yes (return to home - which is wherever they took off). If communication is restored on their flight back, you can control them again.

I assume it's communicating via some form of dark magic.

WickerBill
06-22-17, 10:41 AM

Not so good, and the person inside will likely hear the rotors as well. :)

SteveH
06-22-17, 10:53 AM
The DJI drones do exactly that, yes (return to home - which is wherever they took off). If communication is restored on their flight back, you can control them again.

I assume it's communicating via some form of dark magic.

Does it use current version of dark magic? The 2.17 upgrade was significant.

SteveH
06-22-17, 10:59 AM
and then there is this....

DJI drones can get past no-fly zones thanks to this Russian software company (https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/21/15848344/drones-russian-software-hack-dji-jailbreak)

Good luck loading Russian software on your drone, hope you enjoy your congressional hearing if you do. :D

more drone related news (https://www.theverge.com/drone)

Insomniac
06-22-17, 12:22 PM
Does it use current version of dark magic? The 2.17 upgrade was significant.

I was thinking quantum entanglement.

Insomniac
06-22-17, 12:34 PM
Of course this piques further curiosity. You have to register the drone if it's over 0.55 lbs (a.k.a 250g). But the web site also says "Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)". How do you keep sight of that thing 4 miles away? Could an eagle/hawk even spot it?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

cameraman
06-23-17, 12:34 AM
You might get 4.1 mile range if you're lucky but communications gets really sketchy being out that far. That and the tree avoidance systems are pretty good but not perfect. If it is out of sight your chances of crashing skyrocket.

chop456
06-23-17, 06:38 AM

No reflections at night. Win/win.

Insomniac
06-23-17, 09:12 AM
You might get 4.1 mile range if you're lucky but communications gets really sketchy being out that far. That and the tree avoidance systems are pretty good but not perfect. If it is out of sight your chances of crashing skyrocket.

I guess what I was getting at was, it has an effective range vastly further than anyone could credibly claim that they could continue to have sight on it. I suppose it's likely to account for environmental conditions, but it just seemed interesting.

SteveH
06-23-17, 09:36 AM
No reflections at night. Win/win.

:rofl:

TRDfan
06-23-17, 12:01 PM

This is the drone my son is working on.
Might be too much for your needs.

SteveH
06-23-17, 05:35 PM

This is the drone my son is working on.
Might be too much for your needs.